Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
rob63mess

Default a little overwhelmed

Well I got the new 30 pickup home. It's diassembled. The motor is installed and running well but Im not sure what to tackle first. the front brakes are complete, the back brakes are disassembled. Theres a mountain of parts. The cab needs the doors hung and there is a brand new wood kit to install. I'm familiar with ccpu's....i have a completed 31 that was way farther along when i got it. When I look at everything that needs done, i get overwhelmed and somewhat discouraged. I end up staring at it for about an hour then close up shop.

Any help or words of wisdom as how to get started?
rob63mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: a little overwhelmed

This is the way I was taught by dad and the USAF. Start inside and work out. And in your case work upwards (i.e. chassis then body). Oh and take it one project at a time or maybe two at a time. After a while you will have a truck ready for painting-it just takes time.

Mike
Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Different folks do it different ways but we use a list (although proprietary) that itemizes all the tasks from start to finish. Depending on bodystyle, our runs between 750-800 individual tasks.

I suggest your first job is to make a complete list of each & every task you need to do. This will give you a roadmap of not only where you need to go next, but where you have been and what has been accomplished. I prefer to restore sub-assemblies first and store them away until assembly time. This lets you stay better organized and keeps damage at bay. I suggest you make a realistic timeline and list milestones you want to accomplish by a certain date. Just like eating a large 5-course dinner, pace yourself and take small bites. Make notes ahead of time of each sub-assembly and compile a list of what parts will be needed and what you need to do accompish the restoration on that item. This lets you start aquiring all the parts you need ahead of time so you don't get stalled because lack of parts. If you study your upcoming task list and the notes, it also lets you think in your mind your plan of attack for that item's restoration. Hope this helps some. Remember Failing to implement a plan is a Plan for implementing Failure!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
700rpm

You can't get better advice than that from Brent, especially the part about sub-asemblies. Also read my signature line.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
WRA

I use the old: “Make it Go, Whoa then show“. Wish I was better at following this advice, since I tend to get side tracked...
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
rob63mess

Thanks Guys....I've never been a "list" kind of guy but I can see that it is imperitive to this project
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
Richard Wilson

Here in the mountains, it's whoa, go and then show.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Phil

Think every one is right. I like to build up a complete drivable chassis. Making sure brakes,engine, tranny rear end and steering are in proper order. Install temp seat and gas tank and yard drive it as much as you can making repairs and adjustments. Set it aside clean up the body inside and out and under (sand blast etc.)repair any rust through, or body damage set on the frame bolt it in place fit the doors, gad tank, running boards,splash aprons fenders hood do any needed body work. Then pull it apart and paint and buff. Bolt it back up ( now all parts fit together well). Install lights, horn, interior kit. Go have fun with it. The little things not mentioned above ( and there will be a lot) will be apparent as you go along.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
stewwolfe

Take lots of pictures while you are doing the build. This serves two purposes, one it give you a graphic record of what you did once you complete it, and two it shows you what you have already accomplished when you start getting discouraged as we all do at some point in the project.
stewwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Rob,

Are you close to a MARC/MAFCA club in your area?

Might want to check that out and the members will be sure to give you encouragement also.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
QGolden

My avatar features what I brought home to build my Speedster. It now looks nothing like what I brought home.

Everything had to be torn down, but it ran good, and did stop when I stepped on the brakes.

As Brent said, First thing I did was to make a list of each assembly, and broke that down to sub assemblies.
I started with the rear and went to the front.
I.e, Assembly, Rear Axle,
Sub Assemblies: Springs, Brakes Left side, Brakes Right side.
Assembly E Brake Cross Shaft assembly
Sub Assemblies: Brake Rods.
Assembly Service Brake Cross Shaft
Sub Assemblies Brake Rods

Etc...

I have the luxury of the internet in my shop so I bring up my favorite Model A Parts supplier, (Tams in Mass.) and as I disassemble and Identify parts that I need, I look them up and add them to my "Wish List" at the Website.

I do this by Assembly and or Sub Assembly. So as I take the rear end out, and remove the springs, my wish list builds as I find worn components, i.e Shackles Shock mounts etc. Then at the end of the work session I take the items in the Wish list and move them to a Shopping Basked, place the order.

The parts come in a few days later which is good, because I can still remember just how they came apart. I install, blast, paint, and move on to the next sub assembly.

This way, the project continuously moves along, I have a list of everything I have bought stored at the website for a history if I want it. The biggest thing to do is today's Sub-assembly, and not the overwhelming project of the entire car.

AS I move forward I get the satisfaction of seeing complete new brakes, nice shiny painted rear-end etc..

Photo shows my progress in that the frame is painted up to the Ebrake cross shaft. I rebuilt it last night and today I am taking out the Brake/Clutch Pedal Shaft to rebuild it and the Brake Cross Shaft. Rear to Front, one bolt at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0519131036.jpg (69.1 KB, 86 views)

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown

Last edited by QGolden; 05-19-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Duh
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
rob63mess

I wish i were near a club....i'd join for sure. The biggest problem i'm goin to have is that I didn't tear the car apart. Usually if I take somethin apart, I'm pretty good at getting her back together....not only did the guy take apart the car, he disassembled the individual components....eg brakes and steering column are in pieces.....my best bet is probably find a complete steering column and rear end with brakes attached and go from there.....don't get me wrong, the work the old boy did looks good. I have a feeling that this is going to turn into a build thread.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
Wello

I have a mentor. I can't count the number of times over the past 30 years he has guided me to success. He follows the sub-assembly route except he always finishes the body first. He says he has never found a stronger motivator than to glance over and seeing the completed body sitting in the corner of the shop ready to go. This really keeps him focused and on track.
Wello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob63mess View Post
I wish i were near a club....i'd join for sure. The biggest problem i'm goin to have is that I didn't tear the car apart. Usually if I take somethin apart, I'm pretty good at getting her back together....not only did the guy take apart the car, he disassembled the individual components....eg brakes and steering column are in pieces.....my best bet is probably find a complete steering column and rear end with brakes attached and go from there.....don't get me wrong, the work the old boy did looks good. I have a feeling that this is going to turn into a build thread.
I think you would do well by purchasing the Service Bulletins and Les Andrews' Mechanic's Handbook. What happens if you purchase a rear end with brakes and that one was assembled incorrectly?? As I was trying to point out above, if you review your list of upcoming tasks, you can research and print off media that will make the job seem familiar to you as you are reassembling each of these items.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
Rowdy
BANNED

I agree, chassis first. Just a question as I had a random thought about the rear brakes still being disassembled. Were they left that way because the previous person knew the axle seals need replaced and there was no reason to install them until that was done or did they give up the project before they got to the rear brakes? Rod
Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
My avatar features what I brought home to build my Speedster. It now looks nothing like what I brought home.

Everything had to be torn down, but it ran good, and did stop when I stepped on the brakes.

As Brent said, First thing I did was to make a list of each assembly, and broke that down to sub assemblies.
I started with the rear and went to the front.
I.e, Assembly, Rear Axle,
Sub Assemblies: Springs, Brakes Left side, Brakes Right side.
Assembly E Brake Cross Shaft assembly
Sub Assemblies: Brake Rods.
Assembly Service Brake Cross Shaft
Sub Assemblies Brake Rods

Etc...

I have the luxury of the internet in my shop so I bring up my favorite Model A Parts supplier, (Tams in Mass.) and as I disassemble and Identify parts that I need, I look them up and add them to my "Wish List" at the Website.

I do this by Assembly and or Sub Assembly. So as I take the rear end out, and remove the springs, my wish list builds as I find worn components, i.e Shackles Shock mounts etc. Then at the end of the work session I take the items in the Wish list and move them to a Shopping Basked, place the order.

The parts come in a few days later which is good, because I can still remember just how they came apart. I install, blast, paint, and move on to the next sub assembly.

This way, the project continuously moves along, I have a list of everything I have bought stored at the website for a history if I want it. The biggest thing to do is today's Sub-assembly, and not the overwhelming project of the entire car.

AS I move forward I get the satisfaction of seeing complete new brakes, nice shiny painted rear-end etc..

Photo shows my progress in that the frame is painted up to the Ebrake cross shaft. I rebuilt it last night and today I am taking out the Brake/Clutch Pedal Shaft to rebuild it and the Brake Cross Shaft. Rear to Front, one bolt at a time.
Nice picture of your progress. You've got the rear cross brace of therear bumper assembly installed backwards.. insert smiley face.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
Ice man

I also found that you need to do something every day, be it large or small. The distributor, the carb, one wheel brake assy. Then do this or something every day or at least 2 -3 things a week. Keeps you focused, you can see thing fixed. When completed hang them or shelf them wrapped up in plastic or some thing to keep them clean and dust free , and then tackle something else. Soon you will see the trees instead of the forest. Iceman
Ice man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #18
Steve Plucker
BANNED

ROB...HERE YOU GO FOR STARTERS>>>

Ned Harter...lives in your home town (740-745-5375;

Also Harold Smith...740-763-2045

Both are MAFCA members (from the 2010 Membership Roster);

Might be more in your area!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

its all nuts and bolts henry ford said so
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.3 KB, 39 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #20
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Nice picture of your progress. You've got the rear cross brace of therear bumper assembly installed backwards.. insert smiley face.
Ha Ha I knew someone was gonna' make that comment. Actually it is upside down, but it is that way by design. I am building a Speedster/Pickup. By turning the Bumper Cross Bracket downwards it becomes a lower shelf to hold my spare tire under the pickup bed.

-Q

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote