Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: 2 broken head studs below head surface

For sure sell any easy-outs for scrap metal. The only ones that were somewhat good were the ones I used in the Army, and I haven't seen any of them since I left the Army.

Do the welded washer and nut trick. If it breaks off then weld it a second times. The heat/cool cycles do wonders for loosening the broken stud. If this method fails, then carefully drill a 1/8" hole in the EXACT center of the stud. Be careful to only drill the stud and not the bottom of the stud pocket. Then increase the drill bit size and drill again. Keep increasing the size until you just start to see the edge of the block thread, then stop and use a dental pick to pull out the threads. Once a couple threads are pulled out I usually have good luck running a tap in just enough to grab a thread, then back it out. Repeat as neccessary. Using this method or the welded washer and nut method, I've never had to retap or use a heli-coil.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #22
fredski

have read all replies I appreciate the advice.

called my son in law a jack of all trades and an excellent welder and he used my mig welder and did the WASHER NUT THING and with very much
force it snapped off. according to him he has done this type of removal
many times . he will take to his home and keep trying as he said sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries and he said they will come out.

fredski
fredski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
dave in australia

I'll add a comment about using ez-outs. They are normally used where the head has been abused and the spanner/screw driver has no where to grab, but the thread is not frozen/rusted in. If a stud or bolt breaks because they are frozen/rusted in, 95% of the time, a ez-out will not budge the thread and will then break as well. One thing to think about with ez-outs is that they grip the broken fastener by having a taper, and when you screw them in, they will expand the broken fastener slightly, making the broken fastener even tighter in where it is jammed.
My main method for removing broken fasteners, is to centre pop the broken piece. Then drill a small guide hole carefully remaining central, not hard to do if you go slow. Then drill out the broken piece at a size just under the small diameter of the thread. Then pick out the remaining thread pieces of the fastener, and then clean up the receiving thread with a tap. This negates the need for using a heli-coil.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #24
Rock Hornbuckle

I quess it's true...there are many ways to skin a cat.

Fredski, when you install the new stud, use a little dab of copper antisieze.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote