Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
Wick

Default Mini starter

I'm installing a mini starter,no instructions. Because the drive pushes into the flywheel, do I need to flip the ring gear? Thanks
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Dave in MN

Default Re: Mini starter

Wick,
I had the same question. I installed the 12 volt starter sold by Snyder's after I had my engine installed (Part # A-11002-X12) and did not want to pull the engine.
I called the manufacturer of this starter and was told it was not necessary to change the gear.
I did not change the ring gear and it works smoothly every time. I just removed the starter when I pulled my engine this past weekend. The starter gear and the ring gear are showing no wear after 11,500 miles. I do not plan to change the ring gear. FYI: High compression B engine is what I have been using it on.

Your starter...not knowing the name/type...I don't know for sure. Check out the Snyder's part number to see if it is the same unit. Click on the link below, it should take you to the starter from Snyder's.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/gear-reduced-starter

I am away from my shop so I sketched the ring gear tooth orientation on my note pad and after studying it, it appears the driving force would be against the flat side of the ring gear tooth if the gear were reversed. Reversing the gear would give a bit of tooth clearance as the gears engage. From my experience though, it appears leaving the ring gear in its original orientation is not causing any damage.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 02-05-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Please help me. The Model A starter is not known to be a problem (plus most people carry a crank). Why are you replacing the starter with a mini, maybe a race car application with limited space? Is there something I am missing?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Please help me. The Model A starter is not known to be a problem (plus most people carry a crank). Why are you replacing the starter with a mini, maybe a race car application with limited space? Is there something I am missing?

Charlie Stephens

Description has the following -

"Unit is very durable and doesn't slam into the ring gear as hard as the factory style 12 volt starters".

Perhaps one reason?. Am not saying it is, or is not a good reason.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
CarlG

I am using the 12v mini starter just because it was free. After using it I would not go back. The stock starter was beating the hell out of the ring gear on 12v. The mini starter does not.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
I'm installing a mini starter,no instructions. Because the drive pushes into the flywheel, do I need to flip the ring gear? Thanks
Hey Wick,
I've used this type starter for years now. Never changed the ring gear (other than to put a new one in when assemble new engine.

I've never encountered a problem with this starters working. I use this starter , mainly because the type of B engine that I build has a lot more compression and this new starter can / does handle that. I don't think that the average person could hand crank over the engine(s) that I use this mini on. You can paint it black, if you don't enjoy the alum bling of this starter.

BTW...I'm in need of another mini starter right now, if anyone has one that they won't be using, thanks.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Last edited by hardtimes; 02-05-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: ...........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #7
redmodelt

It would be a lot less costly to just buy the 12 volt windings, but if you have the starter.
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/starter-fields-3717
Old 02-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
It would be a lot less costly to just buy the 12 volt windings, but if you have the starter.
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/starter-fields-3717
Those 12 volts field windings only help, they are not the ultimate answer. I convert starters to 12 volts by doing exactly what those windings do but I fiddle the original windings. I figure a stater converted this way is like running the 6 volts starter on about 9 volts. Better, but still more "thump" than the original starter.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 AM   #9
Wick

The Speedster #61 was ran in the Great American race in 1991 and is 12v. Just dropped a fresh B engine in it.
Starter is a Wasp from Snyders. Everything on this car was custom built. 12v alternator, electric fan,extra 1gal radiator with custom recovery tank. Hyd. Truck brakes.
Thank you for all the responses
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
woofa.express

I had my Tourer (parked behind the ute in the picture below) converted to 12V some time back but not the starter. Each time I cranked I shuddered at the severe impact. I have busted 2 armature shafts so I purchased new field coils. had fitted and started so well. ONCE.
Disassembled and packed the bendix so it wouldn't jam. Again it started so well. ONCE. At present I am awaiting the rebuilding of my starter with a 5/8 shaft and new bendix by the guru Synchro and I reckon he will rebuild like new.
HOWEVER when I purchased the field coil I was unaware of the new light weight starter. I had one demonstrated to me at the Murray Bridge meet and it was a beauty.
From my experience don't mess with your original starter, unless you are a concourse entrant, just buy a light weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woofa express 2.jpg (20.7 KB, 9 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 02-08-2019 at 03:39 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote