Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
30ccpickup

Default Vintage Trailer

My father in-law has this in his garage (pictures from 1973). My wife and her siblings in their younger years painted it to look like a lady bug. I have always heard about it, but never have seen it. After seeing these pictures I realize it is vintage, and I plan to pick it up next week. It will look nice behind my truck when traveling to shows. My father in-law thought it was a 1936 trailer with a Chevy axel. At one time, he said he saw one just like it, which leads me to believe it might be a production model. Can anyone identify it further?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailer.jpg (11.6 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Trailer back.jpg (15.2 KB, 180 views)

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
azmodela
BANNED

Default Re: Vintage Trailer

A Mullins Trailer. They were originally produced in the 30's and 40's out of steel and were later reproduced in the 90's out of fiberglass. There's a big following with them, do a google search for more info.
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodela View Post
A Mullins Trailer. They were originally produced in the 30's and 40's out of steel and were later reproduced in the 90's out of fiberglass. There's a big following with them, do a google search for more info.
Thank you, I will do the search right now.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
50B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ccpickup View Post
My father in-law has this in his garage (pictures from 1973). My wife and her siblings in their younger years painted it to look like a lady bug. I have always heard about it, but never have seen it. After seeing these pictures I realize it is vintage, and I plan to pick it up next week. It will look nice behind my truck when traveling to shows. My father in-law thought it was a 1936 trailer with a Chevy axel. At one time, he said he saw one just like it, which leads me to believe it might be a production model. Can anyone identify it further?
The Mullins Trailer was MFG in 1936.
There is a Mullins Trailer club as I'm a member of.
The Red Cap Review is published quarterly, during the first week of January, April, July and October.

They have a 183 page hard cover book all about the Mullins.

I have had 3 mullins and still own one that is restored and used behind my Model "A".

Mullins Owners Club
P.O. Box 3102
McKinney, TX 75070
Ph: 972-562-5850
Email: [email protected]

Enjoy as they are a great trailer.

Jerry
50B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
pat in Santa Cruz

wow, an original Mullins with artillery wheels too! What a great barn find.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
Tom Endy

Replica Mullins trailers are still available from a supplier up around the bay area in California. He sometimes advertises in the Restorer. You can also find him on line. You can buy them in kit form and put them together yourself. They are made of fiber glass and can be supplied with any kind of axle you want and with Model A looking fenders. I bought one from him a number of years ago and have hauled it many of miles with my Model A.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
4-barrel Mike

http://www.superiorglassworks.com/MULLINS-TRAILERS.html

Mike
4-barrel Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
John LaVoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
Replica Mullins trailers are still available from a supplier up around the bay area in California. He sometimes advertises in the Restorer. You can also find him on line. You can buy them in kit form and put them together yourself. They are made of fiber glass and can be supplied with any kind of axle you want and with Model A looking fenders. I bought one from him a number of years ago and have hauled it many of miles with my Model A.

Tom Endy
Tom,

If you were thinking on Ron Johnson he is out of commission, he has had a serious stroke and is in ICU and has been for quite some time...the speculation is he will not come out of it. The parts for the Mullins hinges and latches are available from C7G Early Ford Parts 760-740-2400.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote