Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Billmc52

Default Gas adjustment valve question

I have a 1928 Phaeton I got from my father in Aug. and put a rebuilt Zenith carb on in Sept. I've driven it for maybe 150 miles since then and the car wuold run best with the GAV open a full turn or more. I've been reading that the GAV should be open about a half turn and then closed down to a quarter or less as the car is driven. At a quarter open the car will hardly run , at half open still runs badly (backfiring, no acceleration, etc) but it idles fine. At 1.5 to 2 turns open it runs much better, accelerates to about 45 but gas mileage is less than 10mpg, maybe around 8mpg. Is there an adjusment to the GAV at the carb to correct this, or do I need another rebuilt carb. I don't have the know how or experience to attempt to rebuld a carb myself. Need help and advice. Thanks,
Bill Mc
Billmc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Larry Seemann

Default Re: Gas adjustment valve question

You probably just have a vacuum leak, maybe between the manifold and engine block. A leak makes it run lean therefore you have to enrich the mixture by opening the GAV.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

8 to 10 MPG is so bad that I wonder if you have other problems, or a gas leak? Do you use the spark control and have the timing correct? How is the compression?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Billmc52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
8 to 10 MPG is so bad that I wonder if you have other problems, or a gas leak? Do you use the spark control and have the timing correct? How is the compression?
Spark control 3/4 to full advanced when running. Timing was checked by local car restorer here last Oct. and said it was fine. Have not checked compression. I'm estimating mpg. Last weekend I put about 45 miles on it and used a little less than half a tank of gas.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
dave in australia

Check the float level, if it's set too high it can cause a constant rich running condition.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
try contacting your local model A club, i am sure that someone would be willing to help you out and check all the basics plus you'll meet some great people.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in australia View Post
Check the float level, if it's set too high it can cause a constant rich running condition.
True, but he has a "too lean" condition, that's why he has to open the GAV. Vacuum leak is a common source.

Sometimes when a car just needs a tune up really bad, you can compensate by making the mixture richer and it will run better. So check the plugs, check the condition of the points. Look inside the distributor cap and on the rotor for signs of carbon tracks, cross-firing, that sort of thing.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
Billmc52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
try contacting your local model A club, i am sure that someone would be willing to help you out and check all the basics plus you'll meet some great people.

I'm going to make some calls tomorrow to a member I know.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
Billmc52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX View Post
True, but he has a "too lean" condition, that's why he has to open the GAV. Vacuum leak is a common source.

Sometimes when a car just needs a tune up really bad, you can compensate by making the mixture richer and it will run better. So check the plugs, check the condition of the points. Look inside the distributor cap and on the rotor for signs of carbon tracks, cross-firing, that sort of thing.
Thanks, I'll see if I can get aomeone with the local club to help me go through those things. Need to learn how to do this stuff on my own.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Smokey Pickett

Had the same problem with my Murray. Tune up was right and could not find a vacume leak. Main jet in my Zenith 1 turned out to be .025. Way too small. I changed it to .037 and now its OK. To start, I have to open the adjusting needle one quarter turn and quick choke. Then its closed (gently) for great performance and decent mileage. I have the cap jet and the comp jet at .038.
Smokey Pickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
Bill Goddard

I read in one of the many articles or books on carbs that there is a jet that if too lean you need to open the GAV more than normal. It has to be the jet that feeds gas to GAV.
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
Billmc52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Goddard View Post
I read in one of the many articles or books on carbs that there is a jet that if too lean you need to open the GAV more than normal. It has to be the jet that feeds gas to GAV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Pickett View Post
Had the same problem with my Murray. Tune up was right and could not find a vacume leak. Main jet in my Zenith 1 turned out to be .025. Way too small. I changed it to .037 and now its OK. To start, I have to open the adjusting needle one quarter turn and quick choke. Then its closed (gently) for great performance and decent mileage. I have the cap jet and the comp jet at .038.

Thanks for both of these suggestions. I have good fuel flow to the carb and thhis may be the problem. This is a locally rebuilt carb and maybe there is a problem with the jet sizes.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #13
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billmc52 View Post
Thanks for both of these suggestions. I have good fuel flow to the carb and this may be the problem. This is a locally rebuilt carb and maybe there is a problem with the jet sizes.
It may not be the rebuilder's fault either. A small bit of dirt or crud can find it's way into one of the jets and screw up your running mixture. That happened to my Dad not too long ago. We took the carb bottom off of the top, sprayed some carb cleaner in the jets, shook it out and put it back on. Ran like new again. The carb rebuilder should do this for you. Look for simple things before looking for harder ones.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote