Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2021, 10:17 PM   #1
30standardcoupe

Default Model A Club meetings

If this is the wrong place to post, I apologize.

Currently our club the "Beehive A's" club meeting goes as follows;

Club business/ new members

Tech talk

Then we have a drawing $1.00 per ticket, then a portion goes to the person who bought refreshments, 1/2 goes to the club, 1/2 goes to the winning ticket.

For the remainder of the month, we do a tour with our A's at a pre selected location.

I will be the president for 2022.

What specifically does your club do that is really neat, or generates allot of interest for the members?

I know what not to bring up, politics, religion, etc, we get pretty good attendance approx. 30 members per meeting, just wondering if there are other suggestions out there that could be beneficial,

TIA,
Clay
30standardcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:33 AM   #2
fundytides

Default Re: Model A Club meetings

Sometimes a guest speaker is a good idea. Especially useful can be a computer tech to talk about problems people have with computer usage, virus protection, etc. Usually these guys are glad to do this and will pick up one or two new customers as a result.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #3
Mulletwagon

We have one member that is a serious Ford history buff. Every meeting he asks two Ford trivia questions. First hand up with correct answer gets a minor cash prize. He then expands on the background of the answer. Always very interesting.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:48 AM   #4
Del in NE Ohio

Member of Five Points Chapter of Penn - Ohio “A” Ford Club. Since our club is 66 years old, we have an archive of newsletters that we revisit. Fascinating snapshots of another era of $20 fenders NOS, and $150 Phaeton for sale as well as old faces and names from the past.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:08 AM   #5
Chris in WNC

when I helped found the Jacksonville Model As, we established some basic rules based on our experiences with other clubs:

no meetings unless there was a shop session or tour.
this prevented it becoming another "knife and fork" club that got together monthly at a marginal restaurant and endured the boring and non-productive blah-blah-blah made worse by Roberts rules of order. we did have an annual Christmas party at a member's house.

no actual election of officers. we had a board of directors agreed upon by the founding members but were forced to designate officer titles for MARC.

dues was $10 per year and we put a cap on the treasury to force us to spend it.

this worked for us.

I can provide a copy of the by-laws I helped write if y'all want to simplify your club's bureaucracy and re-focus it on more fun things.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
Ed in Maine

I have always liked the idea of technical talks. The trick is to get people to get on their feet and prepare a talk. Pick topics that are or will be needed by the members some time in the near future: Carburetor rebuilding/jet flow testing, front end toe-in adjustment, brake adjustment, study the electrical system (everyone should know how to draw it out from memory) for fast on the road analysis, installing directional signals, what extra parts/tools to bring on tours, lubrication, on the road troubleshooting, the topics are endless. I think you should get someone to be program chairman to line up the topics and speakers. It sure makes great meeting. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #7
jwmckenzie

Some sort of program for each meeting, sometimes technical, sometimes not Model A related, and sometimes just a fun game Example: sew up some bags with random Model A parts inside and have people guess what the item is. When I served as VP of the Dallas Club the VP was the program chairman. Not an easy job.

A report on the social aspects of club members: "Sunshine Report" Who got married, who is sick, .....

Ask people who go on tours and other activities but not attend meetings what they would like to see changed for the meeting.?
jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #8
700rpm

I would suggest that you have a greeter at the door who welcomes new faces and new members, and introduces them and asks them to say a little bit about themselves and their car and their interests. Maybe even assign them a buddy to help them assimilate. Too often strangers get ignored and feel left out and never come back.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:06 AM   #9
Woodys29

Del in ne Ohio I was a member of five points in 1957-58 we met in Chuck Fishers barn.Chet Mott was penn Ohio president.I later help start keystone chapter.those were the good old days.
Woodys29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:21 AM   #10
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Send letters, or emails to the current presidents and do a “best practice” study. You will get a lot of good ideas.
Oakleaf starts our meetings with the pledge to the flag, followed by the Lord’s Prayer and a moment of silence for our military. Then we go over the past month’s activities. Then announcements and new business. At break we have coffee and some treats followed by a tech presentation. We fill a good two hrs.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote