Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2022, 09:36 PM   #1
Ian Curtis

Default Bad Case of the White Smoke

My Pickup got a bad case of the magic white smoke, which I take to mean I have coolant burning somewhere. I have never had the head off, so I figured this would be a good excuse to do that. Got it off, the gasket wasn't obviously blown and I could not see any cracks in the block or the head. It's all back together now, and the smoking situation has not improved at all.

So, at this point I'm gonna grab a compression testing kit to see if the cylinders actually have a good seal. Assuming they do, how else can coolant get into the exhaust? If my head gasket job checks out, where should I look next?
Old 01-03-2022, 11:00 PM   #2
chrs1961815

Default Re: Bad Case of the White Smoke

Pretty much the only way coolant gets into the exhaust is either a leak into the combustion chamber or a crack in the block. Since you couldn't find any of those, this is strange. How did the gasket look and what type was it?

How does it run? I'd say run a compression test.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:12 AM   #3
Ian Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
Pretty much the only way coolant gets into the exhaust is either a leak into the combustion chamber or a crack in the block. Since you couldn't find any of those, this is strange. How did the gasket look and what type was it?

How does it run? I'd say run a compression test.
Well, all I can see is the deck, where I did not see anything. What I was theorizing (besides me being blind and not seeing a crack in the deck) is is there a potential crack between the water jacket and where the exhaust manifold mounts? That would be the only thing I could think I wouldn't be able to see with the head off.

It runs just fine. It really smokes an incredible amount, but there really isn't a perceptible coolant drop (running about 10 minutes), I assume its one of those things where it doesn't take a lot of antifreeze to start acting like a smoke generator.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:17 AM   #4
Chuck Sea/Tac

I think you need to do the compression test, but the best way would be to pull the head again and borrow a block tester. The head, you can use a magnetic crack tester.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:40 AM   #5
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

The coolant should find it's way into your oil pan. Should show high on the stick. Keep an eye on it.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:19 AM   #6
Patrick L.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Is the radiator level dropping ? Is the lube oil turning milky ? Is one cylinder cleaner than the others ?

Waving a torch over all the surfaces, including the ports, will show a crack that can't be normally seen.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:47 AM   #7
Keith True

If the muffler got loaded with coolant it can take a long time to burn off at idle or low load.Did you check the head with a machinests straight edge? Have you pressurized the radiator?
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:35 PM   #8
nkaminar

Ian, The coolant is getting into the combustion chamber or chambers or the exhaust manifold somewhere. Sometimes the cracks or gasket leak is really hard to locate. It took several tries for me to fix a head gasket leak. I bought the Best brand head gasket and used the KW copper spray gasket sealer. This finally fixed the leak.

It is important to follow the torque instructions including re-torquing.

There are several ways to find a crack. A die penetrant is one. You spray the die onto the surface and wipe it off. It seeps into any cracks. You then put a powder on which draws out the die. You can see the die best with a UV lamp. A second way is with a magnetic flux. Iron filings will gather at any cracks. A third way is to pressurize the block and look for leaks. Snyders sells a kit for this, see https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...8615&cat=41692. Or as Chuck said, (post #4) maybe you can borrow one.

I think you could use the block pressure test kit to test the head too by using bolts and nuts to attach the plate and a different fitting to pressurize it.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 01-04-2022 at 10:04 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:17 PM   #9
JKY

Take a peek into the radiator while it's running, you may see air bubbling in the water. That indicates a leak. Took me two tries with mine to get it fixed right. First time I didn't take the time it needed to torque it down properly using a composite gasket. I talked to Steve at Bert's, he changed me to a copper Best gasket and I took my time installing it and torquing it down. That did the job.

Also change the oil after you finish, you likely have water/antifreeze in the oil. One of the old timers here recommended an oil change with the gasket replacement, a 15 minute trip to warm the engine and another oil change right after that to get the water that was stuck in the valve galley out.
JKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:29 PM   #10
noboD

Did you reuse the head gasket. If so, you may have put the problem back where it was. Pull a spark plug wire and let it run. If white smoke slows up that's the cylinder with the issue.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:39 PM   #11
Utopia Texas

Are you sure you don’t have bad piston rings and are burning oil?
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #12
Marshall V. Daut

Check your "Private Messages" in the top right corner of this webpage.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:09 PM   #13
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
Are you sure you don’t have bad piston rings and are burning oil?
That's my thought, burning oil. Is it steam or smoke, does it disappear right away, or is it lingering?

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:23 PM   #14
Will N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Check your "Private Messages" in the top right corner of this webpage.
Marshall

Hi Marshall, I've noticed that you often post a note like this, where you send a private message to the user. That's clearly your prerogative, and it is absolutely proper when private information is being exchanged. But the purpose of this message board is to share information. If the message isn't really private, and you have an insight into the problem of white smoke out the exhaust, wouldn't it be best if you shared you insight openly so the rest of us can benefit?
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:28 PM   #15
Jim Brierley

Water or coolant dissipates quickly so it is not often seen. Black smoke is fuel, white or light blue is usually oil. If oil, the plugs should show heavy carbon build-up.
Jim Brierley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:42 PM   #16
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
Hi Marshall, I've noticed that you often post a note like this, where you send a private message to the user. That's clearly your prerogative, and it is absolutely proper when private information is being exchanged. But the purpose of this message board is to share information. If the message isn't really private, and you have an insight into the problem of white smoke out the exhaust, wouldn't it be best if you shared you insight openly so the rest of us can benefit?
I have expressed the same opinion more than once. This is a forum to expand knowledge for many Model A enthusiasts, not just one. Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:42 PM   #17
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
That's my thought, burning oil. Is it steam or smoke, does it disappear right away, or is it lingering?

Regards
Bill
Run it with a white handkerchief rubber banded over the tail pipe and you will be able to tell if oil or water.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:00 PM   #18
Gene F

I think Snyders quit selling those.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:01 PM   #19
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Curtis View Post
My Pickup got a bad case of the magic white smoke, which I take to mean I have coolant burning somewhere. I have never had the head off, so I figured this would be a good excuse to do that. Got it off, the gasket wasn't obviously blown and I could not see any cracks in the block or the head. It's all back together now, and the smoking situation has not improved at all.

So, at this point I'm gonna grab a compression testing kit to see if the cylinders actually have a good seal. Assuming they do, how else can coolant get into the exhaust? If my head gasket job checks out, where should I look next?
Ian any status on motor?
Old 01-06-2022, 09:10 PM   #20
doug.nichols

I really like that idea...
doug.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote