Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #1
30-9

Default Gas fill-up

Hi Folks

Every time I go and fill the cars up with gas, it always overflows out the top onto the car. I've tried pumping slow as well as a normal flow, to no avail.

Anyone have a trick?
Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Drbrown

Default Re: Gas fill-up

April Fool's day must be coming. I hope you're not smoking when you do this. Where are you buying your gas ? Maybe a friend's farm tank ? I understand governmental regulations require automatic pump shut-off detection on gas pump handles. If you extend the fill nozzle all the way into the tank's fill pipe it should shut off the pump when the gas rises in the tank's pipe. Maybe the gas station's pump handle is defective.

Sometimes the design of the tank and filler pipe cause the gas to bubble-up prematurely but that should shut the pump off.

As well, there are reg's about having a vinyl fume hood on the pump nozzle to hold gas fumes in the tank. However this feature is not effective on cars made before say the 1980's when tank gas fume recycling systems were built into a car's fuel system.

Might be better to fill the tank from the carborator end.

Last edited by Drbrown; 03-27-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
30-9

Dear Mr Brown, I'll be 84 in Sept and probably pumping gas before you were born. While I may post stupid questions from time to time, I don't post for the fun of it.

What I asked above has happened at several gas stations and with the black cap on all nozzles. Yes it does shut off but only after the gas has exited the top and all over the side of the fender.

In any event, thanks for replying.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-9 View Post
Hi Folks

Every time I go and fill the cars up with gas, it always overflows out the top onto the car. I've tried pumping slow as well as a normal flow, to no avail.

Anyone have a trick?
My '38 would do the same if I were to fill as if it were a modern car. To prevent this, I push the fill nozzle all the way in, then hold the apron open while withdrawing slightly to disengage the apron from the fill neck. This also prevents the automatic shutoff from working, so it is important to listen as the fuel level gets close to the top. I don't spill a drop.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
glennpm

Hi,

I've had the same happen on my 40. I have a rough idea of how much gas it will take before I start and then when I think its getting close, I slow it down a bit and listen. The sound changes when the fill pipe is backing up. Sometimes it works and sometimes its too noisy when I'm filling though and it will burp!
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
tubman

I had the same problem with a '36 I had. I do almost the same as "glennpm", except when the sound changes, I just quit and hang the nozzle back up. I suppose I've had a few more gas stops than I should have, but I've also met some nice people who were interested in the car.

I've also found that if I quit when the automatic shutoff cycles with my '51, it's full. Trying to coax that extra few cents worth in so I have an "even amount" is where I get in trouble.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
Willit Stop

This MIGHT work: Cut a piece of baling wire about 12 or so inches long and bend a good sized loop on the top end(so it can't fall into the tank).On the other end, poke the wire through a cork and secure it. Lower the cork end into the filler tube, pull back on the nozzle apron and pump the gas. When the wire loop rises,stop pumping. It may or may not work. I dunno.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
KGS

My '39 does the same thing if I fill it up.
Bad idea as you've experienced. Especially
if you're going to sit at a car show in the sun all day
with gas expanding. Interesting how the original paint
or lacquer is damaged this way.
So I DON'T fill it up. Ten gallons at a time, slow and ez re-fill
works well for me even on a long trip when I need the walk around.
Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
JT FORD

My 49 and 50 always overflows when the automatic shut off trips.
I listen until I hear it coming up the fill tube and STOP! I don't remember 60 years ago that this happened! Maybe the pumps were much slower then. Now its the other way around, the pumps are fast and I'm slow!
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
19Fordy

30-9: I just found this venting gas tank remedy posted by flatheadfan, April 2011. Sounds like it will work. If you try it, please let us know. Take photos as you go. Sketch below can be modified as needed. Thanks, JIM

There are a couple of ways to do handle this problem. I have written some articles in the past about this problem. However, to answer you immediate question. What you are thinking can work and work very well. The following instructions should help.

You will need to drill an extra hole in the tank near the fuel sender outlet. I used a 3/8" bit . I then used a brass 90 degree elbow with a short 1/2" piece of copper tubing on one end. It is a good idea to make a small piece of gasket material for a seal or use a good liquid sealer. Insert the threaded part of the elbow into the hole and attach the brass female cap (with copper tube attach) on the inside of the tank. I know this sounds difficult but if the drilled hole is close to the fuel sender hole you can get the cap on with a minimum of difficulty. Tighten the cap/elbow. On the top side of the tank connect another 1/4" copper or steel tubing (about two inches long) to the brass elbow. I added a brass bushing to the tube on the end to make for a tight hose fit. You are now finished with the tank. Next drill a 1/4" hole in the fuel neck just below the fuel tank opening cap. Add a 6-8 inch piece of 1/4" steel tubing. Insert one end of the tubing in the previously drilled hole. Weld this tube at the top and bottom. I also added a 1/4" bushing to the end of the tube Finally, just connect the two tubes with a piece of fuel resistant hose with some clamps and you are done!

This should solve 99.9% of any fuel back-up problem and you can fuel the tank super fast.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3313b.jpg (35.0 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 03-27-2018 at 01:52 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #11
51 MERC-CT

Some time a picture is worth----------------------------

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 03-28-2018 at 04:18 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
19Fordy

Opps! You beat me to the picture. Well done.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #13
Jim in Wisconsin

This happens real easy on a 33, because of the way the tank lays I guess. I just try to fill real slow, but the paint around the neck is real dull and bad looking from gas running down it. I have a feeling that happened when it was new too.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #14
Don

I just stick a piece of clear hose about 2 ft long down into tank letting the natural curve of tibeing benrtowards top of tank!this lets the air out as you put in gas,works pretty good as long as you don’t rush the gas,
Old 03-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #15
4dFord/SC

I wrap a rag around the nozzle at the filler pipe.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #16
30-9

Gents

Thanks for the ideas, as always great advise. I know my limitations so welding (especially in a gas tank) is over my ability. The others I will certainly try.

Mr Brown, I hope you read these post and see that others have also had same experience. The site is here to help not humiliate.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #17
HDowse

30-9,
Late to the party but I have found that if I turn the nozzle so it faces rearward and not straight down the filler, that the fuel fills more easily, doesn't keep shutting off and gives a better fill, usually filling very slowly. I wonder if this problem was prevalent in the days the cars were new? I do like the the quick solution of wrapping the rag around the nozzle. At least the rag will be handy to wipe up any splash back. Thanks for bringing up a topic we all seem to have some experience with.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #18
adileo

Happens to me as well. I also try pumping slow and watching how many gallons shown on the pump and listen to change in pitch. But, being hard of hearing, it over flows most times.
I carry a rag and some spray cleaner in the trunk and when it happens, clean as best I can.

With the truck, I grab the stations window washer brush and it the gas spot and go.

I too want to thank you for posting, got some other good ideas.

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #19
fourfords

I angle the nozzle so there's a smooth flow going into the tank that will contour the pipe so air can escape during fueling. If I just put the nozzle in without care, the fuel going in blocks the natural need for displaced air to get out creating a overflow problem.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:22 PM   #20
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-9 View Post
Gents

Thanks for the ideas, as always great advise. I know my limitations so welding (especially in a gas tank) is over my ability. The others I will certainly try.

Mr Brown, I hope you read these post and see that others have also had same experience. The site is here to help not humiliate.
Although "welding" was mentioned in achieving this fix, there is not any "welding" required.
The use of soft (lead) solder applied with suitable soldering 'iron' would get the job done and is the way I would do it if I had to.