Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #21
Cecil/WV

Default Re: Buy and sell parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Cecil:

The difference is you got what you wanted for it. I think what we're talking about is the dude that claims he battling cancer and has no money since the medical treatements have depleted his funds.

You foolishly feel sorry for him and cut him a killer deal on rare part. He then is mysteriously cured and turns around and sells the part for a big mark-up.

This is the nonesense we're talking about.

Only takes getting burnt once...
Tim, I wouldn't like that either. I think I would only give a real break to someone I really know.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #22
jagalyn

I can empathize with many of the different perspectives here... but would like to say that most of the people I have come into contact with on this site have gone out of their way to help whether they have the part I'm looking for or not.

I can't tell you how appreciative I am... I, being a newbie, probably just haven't run into "those guys" yet... but I guess it takes all kinds to make up this goofy world of ours...

Thanks to everyone who have been willing to share their time and expertise to help those of us who don't know nearly enough what we are doing.

Jeff
jagalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #23
raceron1120

The free enterprise system at its best, eh?

If I don't like a price of something I want, I won't buy it. If I do, it's mine to do with as I see fit.

When I offer something for sale, I sell only at a price I'm comfortable with. And post-sale I don't care what the buyer does with the purchase.

I don't normally do "sympathy sales" or make a "sympathy purchase", as I'm in this hobby because I want to and can afford to be.

I don't want to sound harsh or impersonal here, but I treat it like a business, and don't get too emotional over it. Whether buying or selling, nobody twists my arm either way.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #24
Chucks32

Send a message via AIM to Chucks32

racerron you are 110% correct!!
Chucks32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #25
gmc1941

You sell your wares for a fair of which you ask for. This person finds somebody who will pay a higher. Next time hang on to it for a better price. Tuff shit if you sold it for less. Next time hold out for what you really want. Whine Whine.......
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #26
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc1941 View Post
You sell your wares for a fair of which you ask for. This person finds somebody who will pay a higher. Next time hang on to it for a better price. Tuff shit if you sold it for less. Next time hold out for what you really want. Whine Whine.......
GMC,

I think your missing the point of the thread.

Like someone said before, the majority of the folks on here (pre & post Ryan) are stand-up, great folks that would and do go out of their to help each other out.

What we are talking about are the leeches and scum bags that take advantage or play themselves as someone they aren't.

One of the downsides of the internet is folks can pretend to be whomever they want. Sometimes they're legit, sometimes they aren't.

That's what were talking about it. I don't anyone is being overly whiny about it.

Jeez...
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #27
redfor40

once you sale its not yours no more quite your crying
redfor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #28
BoxCar Tom

This thread reminded me, two years ago I posted a msg on the barm, "32 ford parts for sale at Hershey location &^%$*&" and listed several items that I would have at my swap spot. Several barn guys came by, some bought. One guy wanted to buy the 32 closed car header panel I had for sale. He said he was looking for it for years but refused to pay my price (it was a reasonable price and some said it was under priced). I asked if he had any 32 parts for sale or trade? No. Long story short, I reluctantly cut the price and sold the part. Hours later and at least a half mile way, I was visiting a spot that was also posted on the barn. Low and behold there is the header I just sold, with $100.00 mark up surrounded by an assortment of 32 ford parts for sale. I though that's a lesson and yet being a red blooded capitalist I thought I could use this to my advantage and bargain for a lower price on a 32 firewall. The woman minding the spot said that the prices are set by her husband and they are non-negotiable. I persisted, she called him, and I talked to him on his cell ph. He said that if he didn't get his price it would go no ebay and if I could not afford it I was in the wrong hobby. I reminded him that he bought the header panel from me, he hung up. That guy is on the barn!
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #29
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom View Post
This thread reminded me, two years ago I posted a msg on the barm, "32 ford parts for sale at Hershey location &^%$*&" and listed several items that I would have at my swap spot. Several barn guys came by, some bought. One guy wanted to buy the 32 closed car header panel I had for sale. He said he was looking for it for years but refused to pay my price (it was a reasonable price and some said it was under priced). I asked if he had any 32 parts for sale or trade? No. Long story short, I reluctantly cut the price and sold the part. Hours later and at least a half mile way, I was visiting a spot that was also posted on the barn. Low and behold there is the header I just sold, with $100.00 mark up surrounded by an assortment of 32 ford parts for sale. I though that's a lesson and yet being a red blooded capitalist I thought I could use this to my advantage and bargain for a lower price on a 32 firewall. The woman minding the spot said that the prices are set by her husband and they are non-negotiable. I persisted, she called him, and I talked to him on his cell ph. He said that if he didn't get his price it would go no ebay and if I could not afford it I was in the wrong hobby. I reminded him that he bought the header panel from me, he hung up. That guy is on the barn!
Tom:

This is exactly the type of scenario we're talking about here.

Funny, some guys lose their sense of right and wrong when it comes to old Ford parts. They seem to go kookoo for cocopuffs.

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #30
Clem Clement

Golly, there are teams that buy cars at the meets and resell them at the same meet. I sell at Hershey and when it is gone, bye bey. I know what I have in it and how long I have had it. Sometimes I don't want to take it home so it sells or goes by the trash can for free pickup. I had an extra Model A horn one time that I had $5 in. At that time, they were priced at $150. I happily took $110 for it and saw it on the guys table for the 3 next Hersheys for $150. I converted his money into beer. There are some folks that beg and beg and we soon figure out who they are. The ones I love are those who ask me to hold a piece for them without paying. You know "Hold it for me, I'll pick it up later" guy: I'm glad to put it back if the $$ are in my pocket. The 28 Ford phaeton I have for sale has 3 guys telling me it is sold, but it ain't gone so it is for sale. This is a hobby so do what you are comportable with.
clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #31
gmc1941

If I sell a part for a price I agree on and he takes it down to his booth and is a better salesmen than I'm. More power to him. I've sold parts to people and they either sold them or got stuck with them. I don't care what story they come up with to me to reduce my price. May be I'm guillible. These aren't family heitlooms with a family history. Sold..Gone!!!! Get over with it!!! You sold it's over.....
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #32
Frank The Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucks32 View Post
When I sell you a part, You can use it, resell it or do whatever you want. I have no problem with that. I bought a part for the full asking price, thinking i could make a few dollars on it. I did not say I needed the part or even made an offer, just paid full price. Now the seller calls me a snake and I have ruined the hobby! I guess we have to resell everything for the same money we paid or take a loss.
So I guess by now you have a pretty good sampling of what the snake scenario is. If you didn't do any of the 20 or so odd things that are described here and the guy is PO'd at you I wouldn't worry about it. On the other hand, if you did play the guy you know it, only the big guy can absolve you. It all washes out in the final rinse.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #33
Comet

I suck at this game. I have a real bad habit of buying high and selling low.
Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #34
bonesy

I'm all for buyer/ seller beware. But the guy you listed here is scum.

Quote:
bonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:25 AM   #35
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Golly, there are teams that buy cars at the meets and resell them at the same meet. I sell at Hershey and when it is gone, bye bey. I know what I have in it and how long I have had it. Sometimes I don't want to take it home so it sells or goes by the trash can for free pickup. I had an extra Model A horn one time that I had $5 in. At that time, they were priced at $150. I happily took $110 for it and saw it on the guys table for the 3 next Hersheys for $150. I converted his money into beer. There are some folks that beg and beg and we soon figure out who they are. The ones I love are those who ask me to hold a piece for them without paying. You know "Hold it for me, I'll pick it up later" guy: I'm glad to put it back if the $$ are in my pocket. The 28 Ford phaeton I have for sale has 3 guys telling me it is sold, but it ain't gone so it is for sale. This is a hobby so do what you are comportable with.
clem
Clem,
You are too good wise/smart for this hobby and I am with you..especially regarding the beer! If anyone sells/gives to a 'friend' then complains...what the heck?? If anyone here sells to other than a friend, at an agreed upon price, yeah...quit bitchen,eh! I'm a terrible buyer and seller and have "buyers/sellers remorse" all the time. But, it's all on ME...not some one else!!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #36
raceron1120

What a great debate going on here! It seems many of us think much the same way. Ignorance works both ways, as buyers and sellers. Many tend to take advantage of it if they can. Again - I love free enterprise!

But what much of it boils down to is knowing your customers. I've made many acquaintences in this hobby and am willing work with, negotiate, bicker, etc. with some on buying & selling. 'Course, I'm gonna work better with 'em after I've known 'em awhile, unlike any Joe Schmuck who might walk up at a swap and give me a sob story, begging for a bargain.

I spent many years behind parts counters, one of my old manager's best expressions was "Don't sh** the shi**er". It took awhile for me to get it, but after getting pinged a few times with sob stories & cutting discounts to some of the Joe Schmucks I think I got fairly good at 'reading' the customers when they came in.

The internet has changed much of that; I do ebay occasionally and list items at a price I'm comfortable with. I figure anything above my asking price is frosting on the cake. At swaps I'll negotiate but only to a point. And as I said before, once a deal is done and ol' George & his friends are in my pocket, I'm over it.

Oh and - I will NEVER, EVER hold something for someone unless their $$$ is in my pocket. It only took one time for me to learn from that one. Momma often has a lot to say about what Daddy buys - or doesn't, and Momma isn't always with Daddy when he asks to "hold it for me, I'll be back".

It works both ways too though; True story - I still have a small fishing boat I held for a guy that paid $50 for it & said he'd be back to pick it up. That was about 4 years ago, he still hasn't returned. . . I think he was a little bit drunk at the time. . .
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #37
skidmarks

Quote:
i have a mental list of swap meet snakes and when i set up to sell i usually dont mark prices. the parts have 2 prices, 1 price is what i want for it with a barganing amount figuered in because everyone like to haggle. i dont mind the haggle as long as its not insulting , like i say $100 and the buyer says $10.
the second price is for the snakes and there are alot of them. when i crunch the number its usually enough they just set it down and walk away.
i have a guy trying to buy parts from me now. he has never built a car and only hustles parts and claims to be a big time enthusiest to the hobby. when i have tried in the past to deal with he its a one way street, "give me your parts and buy mine" and he does not haggle at all.

as to the seller mentioned above, im sure he is on my list, haha

the people that say "shut up and stop whinning" havent experience the bend over and grab your ankles routine of the fleamarket snakes.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #38
Chucks32

Send a message via AIM to Chucks32

If someone makes an offer you can say no, if they pay your price you can't complain. If they talk you into a price lower than you want, you screwed up. The whole point of this thread is about the guy that solicited a part to me, gave me a price, I paid it with no question, and then he emails me and picks on my wife and dogs and myself and our "phony" smiles saying we went over the line by listing the item for sale and called me a snake and a person that ruins the hobby. I will provide this email to anyone interested. He also had another part that I had inquired about, and his mint condition was not my mint condition ( bondo, welding) so I declined to buy that item, that also annoyed him. Hey, I am just trying to upgrade my 32 Ford and I buy and sell a few parts to keep me going.
Chucks32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #39

What Buford Said,You're Good.
3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:40 AM   #40
Jim NC

I went to Charlotte this past week-end and all the folks described above were there!! I, too, have a marked price and negotiated price on my few used parts. When they nit pick to try and convince me to lower it I respond with "That's why I'm selling it so cheap." They either pay or leave. Ain't America great!!
Jim NC is offline   Reply With Quote