Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Thaplumbr

Default Electric cooling fan

Been doing some reading and I am a bit confused honestly, first off right now I don't have the option of running the old mechanical fan,since I don't have one maybe later on down the road. I'm running a 59ab in a 48 f-1 pickup,some of these fans claim to be reversible,is the reversible fan done by swapping the blade around if run on the engine side of the radiator,or do I put the fan in front of the radiator?
Thanks for the help guys!!
Leroy
Thaplumbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
danliveshere

Default Re: Electric cooling fan

Leroy Just reverse the 2 wires to change direction of the motor. I had mine originally attached to the grill in front of the radiator, but you can make a simple frame and mount it behind the radiator. There is also simple plastic Tee that will slide between the fins of the radiator if you have nothing to attach it to. Don't pull it apart, Dan.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
JWL
Member Emeritus

I have switched one fan to the "reverse" direction and it required removing and indexing the blade assembly. Soooo, I think the design will determine the requirements to "reverse" the flow. Certainly, if there is any curvature in the blades a simple wire swap will NOT accomplish the mission.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
TJ

The instructions included with the fan will tell you how to reverse the direction. Some just need the wires reversed , some need the blade reversed.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
B-O-B

If the fan motor has an armature & brushes you can reverse it but if not it ain't gonna happen. They make both kinds of fans, in front or behind the radiator, get the the proper one for your application. I would NOT attach it to the radiator. Make some bars (angle iron or U channel) to support the assembly & attach to the surrounding metal.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Thaplumbr

Well found out a couple things today,first off the wires can be reversed and this does change the direction of rotation,secondly unseen mice nest in the water jackets of a block are lots of fun to clean out of a radiator,apparently they had been eating pretty good to as there was lots of acorn hulls that came out as well.
Pulled the radiator and flushed it out and back flushed as well,flushed the block out from top and bottom both sides,if I missed anything it wasn't for a lack of trying,my neighbor told me stories of his flathead days the entire time,I think he and my dad are enjoying this as much as I am. At least I got to take the truck on its maiden voyage today! Hope y'all enjoyed your day as well!!
Leroy
Thaplumbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
danliveshere

Way to go Leroy!! A good lesson learned here, to block off all holes while in storage!!
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
33cabriolet

If your radiator is in the v-8 position you can move it to the 6 cly. position and gain 3" of fan clearance John
33cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
dude

Most efficient fan is a puller. Make sure you get a fan that rotates the correct direction to start with. The blades are designed to either push or pull. you can make do by changing the blades. I'm talking about the most efficient fan. As long as you're buying a fan get the most efficient one.