Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
Stretch Cab

Default Town Car

Maybe a couple years ago a TC body came up for sale here on the Barn. There was a lot of discussion and it seemed the seller disappeared.

Not wanting to rehash the pros and cons of the car but I have often wondered if it ever sold and what is going on with it today.

Having watched a TC being restored many years ago as a teenager I find them fastening.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
Shelbycsx

Default Re: Town Car

Still for sale 20k, sitting under a house buried, open to the elements "literally" water is flowing like a fou rain through the wall. I just went up there with 20k and looked at the car. No title, motor doesn't exist, frame not original, all fenders have been replaced, 10 pounds of brazing rod throughout the car. If the car had a good title with the original motor and frame then it would be worth restoring. This car is only a hint of what it was from the factory.
Shelbycsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:48 PM   #3
jm29henry

If it was the pretty maroon town car it did sell and went from California to somewhere on the east cost if you google town car and image you will see a few pic when it was in a museum
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
dpson

The was a TC for sale on Facebook Marketplace in Hudson, NY about a month ago. It's pretty rough and the owner was asking in the $40,000 range, but probably open to offers.

Not sure if it's still available (likely is), here is the contact info: Contact Henry 518-567-8097 .
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
Shelbycsx

Same car that was for sale 5 years ago.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
WTSHNN

I believe you are referring to a rough 1930 Model A Towncar that has been up for sale for several years at different price points.

I have not seen the car but with only 2 or 3 known 1930 Towncars in existence the fact that it is still for sale tells you something. A very well known collector once told me after viewing the car that buying the car would only give you the provenance to build a completely new body and then show the pictures of what you "started" with.

A search of the site provided this link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7DiHIr3Xg
Old 11-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
Shelbycsx

In this photo the car looks better than it really is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75472883_2503137649772873_2838409341780885504_n.jpg (65.7 KB, 216 views)
Old 11-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
jb-ob

My $.02 is that Town Cars very quickly became the unwanted child for most owners who survived the stock market crash and had the good taste not to offend those less fortunate by parading around with a chauffer.

The majority these cars had their partitions removed, replaced with a conventional front seat to be sold as Fordors and some re-purposed as taxi's. Some survivors did so by being tucked away on the family country estate. One '29 was chopped up to make an estate 'doddle' bug for the grounds keeper !
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #9
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post
My $.02 is that Town Cars very quickly became the unwanted child for most owners who survived the stock market crash and had the good taste not to offend those less fortunate by parading around with a chauffer.

The majority these cars had their partitions removed, replaced with a conventional front seat to be sold as Fordors and some re-purposed as taxi's. Some survivors did so by being tucked away on the family country estate. One '29 was chopped up to make an estate 'doddle' bug for the grounds keeper !

I'm not so sure. I'd guess it was because the elite would be embarrassed riding in a lowly Ford, even a Town Car.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
ronn

I seriously looked at that car about 5 years ago and was in on the original thread.

the car is really in tough shape and as noted, just a body, sitting on another frame.

it would be fun to own to just say so, but as far as restoring, you would always be upside down............ body came from a local dump in the 60s. owners have many such cars and many that just dont have enough parts left. remember, everything is restorable, but is it worth it????????
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote