Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
larry harding

Default transmission woes

i've posted a few times on here about my 31 ccpu. a few days ago i had overheating problems and after watching a few youtube videos i sweated off my upper radiator tank and did the redneck flushing and roding out. i am proud to say my truck is running cooler now. the next problem is the tranny is noisy, and clicking in second. i had a spare tranny and disassembled it today. what a mess! it looks as i may have a useable case and maybe one or two of the shafts, everything else is worn and gaulded to the point i'd be afraid to use them. the rebuild kit is in the $600 to $700 range. i know these trannys are 80+ years old, but are they generally that worn? i'll bet the one in the truck now is not any better. if i came across another used one i would want to at least take the top off and have a look before buying. what a money pit from day one. every time i think i almost have a driver(no show vehicle) another disaster strikes.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
GerryAllen

Default Re: transmission woes

Don't be discouraged, when it is up and running the joy of driving it makes up for the "down" times.
I am constantly amazed at the cost of rebuild kits etc. I believe if you were to buy a rebuild kit for most anything else you would pay quite a bit more. I might be wrong just my thinking.
Gerry Birch Bay Wa.
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
garyjohn

I would sagest that you look for another trans at a swap meet. I have purchased some pretty good ones for good prices and then you have something to start a rebuild.

As far as you having to fix things on your truck, this is what happens when you do not have a fully restored truck. When you do finish with one thing that needs fixing you will not have to fix it again. It can be frustrating at times. Good luck, Gary
garyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
Doug_Knutson

I bought a used Main Cluster upper input shaft on E-bay .. the seller indicated slight wear .., Well I paid 18 bucks for a prefect shaft !! It has been in the trans over 10 years now .. you never know what might come your way if you look and ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doug_Knutson is offline   Reply With Quote