Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
psimet

Default Is my block dead?

Been going through a long series of steps to get my 28 Tudor up and running after sitting for at least 25-35 years.

I decided to flush the water jacket running water through it from a hose. After 40 or so gallons I noticed a couple of small drops on the ground from the rear of the engine.

Found a crack in the block that was weeping. Cylinder 4. Under the edge of the lip on the drivers side. Picture is looking up at it.

Ran the borescope into each cylinder and not water in them. Also no water in the oil.

Options?

psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Is my block dead?

Not yet! Clean it up and see what it really looks like! Let us know once cleaned up!
Old 06-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #3
louwilouwi

Clean it up, sand blast, and recheck. It can be cast iron welded or brazed as the A's do not run a pressurized system. B U T if the block is not the original, serial numbers matching, do not worry, just get another block. should be less than having the one you have repaired. One other thing to check before spending funds on your block is the size of the bore. if it is at .100 over it "should" be sleeved back to standard bore. Just another reason to look for another block. I do not know where you live but around here Model A engines that are not runners are cheap, $100.00 or so, just a block goes for $50.00 + or- .
louwilouwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:05 PM   #4
Pete

If 2 main bearing webs and 2 intake ports can be added to a block, that simple crack can be tig welded in about 15 minutes and have a blanket over it cooling down.
If you can find a used block that doesn't require a bank loan to fix, go for that.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:23 PM   #5
psimet

Quote:
Originally Posted by louwilouwi View Post
Clean it up, sand blast, and recheck. It can be cast iron welded or brazed as the A's do not run a pressurized system. B U T if the block is not the original, serial numbers matching, do not worry, just get another block. should be less than having the one you have repaired. One other thing to check before spending funds on your block is the size of the bore. if it is at .100 over it "should" be sleeved back to standard bore. Just another reason to look for another block. I do not know where you live but around here Model A engines that are not runners are cheap, $100.00 or so, just a block goes for $50.00 + or- .

Block is original. It has been rebuilt at some point and my guess based on some evidence would have been in around ‘81-‘82 timeframe. Mechanically it’s very runable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:44 PM   #6
1crosscut

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If it is a good runner clean up the crack with a wire wheel and J.B Weld it shut.
Looks like it is a freeze crack. If just external the repair will probably last a long time.
If it doesn't last then you are not out much.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
Herb Concord Ca

Ditto what 1crosscut said. JB weld can fix that once you get to clean metal.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:20 PM   #8
Conaway2

A machine shop near me solders cracks like that on A blocks. It can be fixed.

Someone tried to braze an engine block I have about 50 years ago and just made the crack run. I used JB Weld on it for years - had to re-apply the epoxy every couple of years. I’m about to take it to be soldered.

Good luck !
Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:48 PM   #9
700rpm

Be careful if you sand blast. Sand can end up in places that you wll regret later, particularly around an engine.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:32 AM   #10
ETAModel

Dad repaired a flathead Dodge with JB weld. Held up to years of hard use on the farm, was still holding 30 years later when he sold it.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:38 AM   #11
old31

I am 100% with 1crosscut #6.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:26 AM   #12
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

That's where they crack from freezing water. I had one just like it and was able to nurse it along with Marine Tex epoxy for over 20 yrs. You really need a mechanical seal. There is no pressure, but when the epoxy falls out due to corrosion, it will leave you stranded. You never know when it will let go. Epoxy can last 10 yrs or 1yr. Braze, weld, solder however you can get it sealed and keep antifreeze in it year around.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:08 AM   #13
HDowse

I had good luck with a similar crack but under the water pump area. I used a Dremel tool to V out the crack, lots of air to dry it out and did the JB weld on it. Still holding 20 years later.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:06 AM   #14
Mister Moose

The sand blasting or wire wheel gets you a clean surface, the V-out of the groove improves mechanical adhesion, but the V should extend only partially into the block thickness. Your best repair is to do both. A die grinder with small abrasive bits will clean up the crack area to bare metal with no sand, and give a cleaner surface than a wire wheel. You want bright metal clean, and you want grip. Clean and epoxy a bit past the visible end of the crack as well.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:23 AM   #15
Bob Bidonde

I have seen cracks repaired with JB Weld that are still running after many years.

(1)Find the ends of the crack, drill a 0/13" diameter stop hole at each end. The stop holes will inhibit continuing crack growth;
(2)Thoroughly prep the surfaces at the crack per JB Weld's instructions. The success of the repair is highly dependent on this step;
(3)Use a liberal application of JB Weld across the crack to seal it. Extend the JB Weld beyond the crack, especially at the ends and blend it so it's not an eyesore;
(4)Let the JB Weld cure completely before running the engine;
(5)Add a jar of Bar's Stop Leak With Pellets to your coolant. Bar's has a water pump lube in it, and it also behaves like anti-freeze.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:35 AM   #16
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
(1)Find the ends of the crack, drill a 0/13" diameter stop hole at each end. The stop holes will inhibit continuing crack growth;
Stop drilling is effective, but here I'd think the stop drill hole should not pierce the block otherwise you will increase the chance of leak failure. How deep are you recommending the stop drill hole extend into the block?
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #17
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
If 2 main bearing webs and 2 intake ports can be added to a block, that simple crack can be tig welded in about 15 minutes and have a blanket over it cooling down.
If you can find a used block that doesn't require a bank loan to fix, go for that.
I can never find anyone near me to weld one.... As in ever.... Yes, can be, but no one will. If I get a crack the block is history.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:30 PM   #18
Gene F

Anyone ever had luck with cleaning it out, and using a acetlyne torch and radiator solder?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #19
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Anyone ever had luck with cleaning it out, and using a acetlyne torch and radiator solder?
I have never tried soft solder but used silver solder to repair many blocks.
V the crack and hit the surrounding area where the silver will be sticking, with a sanding disc or Spiracone. Don't touch the area afterward. Use plenty of flux, an oxidizing flame and don't heat it past where the silver melts.
This will even work in an exhaust port.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #20
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
I have as B block that has been repaired that way. I think the crack was caused by accident damage who knows how long ago. The crack is in the "skirt" of the block, just behind the starter motor. I know the car was running when the motor was removed and it was stripped. No doubt oil had penetrated the cast iron of the block so getting the solder to take might have been a challenge but it was done. If ever I need to build another motor, This will most likely be the candidate.