Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
donQ

Default driveshaft bearing and seal

I have the rear axle assembly out of my 40 coupe. I would like to replace the driveshaft bearing, sleeve, and grease seal. I have the speedo parts and the bearing out. Do I need to remove the driveshaft housing from the rear end to move the housing forward enough to take it off the end of the driveshaft to get the old sleeve and seal out?
donQ
donQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: driveshaft bearing and seal

The Early Ford V-8 Club of America had several articles on how to do that repair. Try a Google search or the V-8 Club of America website. I think they are still around. plus there's a fellow on Fordbarn who sells this bearing (GM ?) and would know how to do it.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
BillB

Here's a link from 10 years ago .. Good luck.

http://www.flatheadv8.org/drivebearing.htm
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Mart

The OP may be talking about the bearing at the front of the driveshaft, as he mentions sleeve and seal.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
donQ

Mart is correct. I'm talking about replacing the bearing at the front of the driveshaft and not the center bearing. I hope the front bearing is easier to replace. The bearing they sell is B-4645 and the sleeve is B-4655. The seal is B-4245. The old bearing has a smaller OD than the B-4645. I need to figure out how to get the old sleeve and seal out so I can put the new parts in.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
V12Bill

I used a Port-o-power to replace my seal, the bushng just slips out with the seal. I purchased a suitable length of 3/4" pipe at Lowes and attached it to the Port-o-power ram. I made up a plate to bolt to two adjacent holes at the differential end and used the atttachment that threads onto the body of the ram. I then pumped the ram and let the pipe fall to the edge of the seal and push the seal and bushing out.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

To get that seal and bearing sleeve out of my '35 torque tubes, I made a shouldered (two diameter) pusher plug that fits/threads onto the end of a long piece of 1/2" all thread. The OD of the plug must be slightly smaller than the machined in stop for the seal. With the plug mounted to the end of the all thread, insert that end into the banjo end of the torque tube and fit the first diameter of the plug into the ID of the seal, and the second diameter up against the back of the seal. By hitting the other end of the all thread with a medium size hammer, you can drive the seal and bearing sleeve out of the front of the torque tube at the same time. I use that same pusher plug, threaded to a shorter piece of all thread, to install the new seal. Now on torque tubes that have a center driveshaft bearing, I have used a long section of water pipe that fits through the ID of the center bearing and drive the seal and bearing sleeve out together.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-23-2013 at 07:38 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
moonshine runner

Thanks for the website BILLB !
moonshine runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
Pete Fl/Wi

I just did this and the only problem I had was getting the bearing into the new race. I had to chamfer a small radius on one end of the bearing cap so it would start in the race without tapping hard. Not sure could be me or china made parts.
Pete
Pete Fl/Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
oldbugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fl/Wi View Post
I just did this and the only problem I had was getting the bearing into the new race. I had to chamfer a small radius on one end of the bearing cap so it would start in the race without tapping hard. Not sure could be me or china made parts.
Pete
I think its China made parts, I struggled with this in my 35. If you can find good used or nos you can save your self a lot of trouble. jmo. Paul
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
donQ

I tried a 6 foot section of 1/2 inch conduit and succeeded in banging up the back of the seal but the seal and sleeve would not budge. The seal sits against a shoulder that is only slightly larger in diameter than that of the seal. It doesn't give you much of a surface to drive against. I took a large nut that just fit inside the sleeve ( 1-1/4 wrench size) and spot welded it in place. I then threaded a bolt only part way into the nut. The conduit was then inserted into the differential end of the driveshaft housing and up into the back of the nut. This provided a solid surface to drive against and the conduit would not slip because it was part way into the nut.The sleeve was then driven out fairly easily. Once the sleeve was out, the seal was driven out fairly easily.
donQ
Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
john in illinois

As mentioned the new bearings and sleeves are poor quality. If your old ones are good do not replace them just because it is apart.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
Hotrodvideo

The right way to do this is with a KR Wilson tool made for pulling the sleeve out. I know a restorer who did mine, it literally pulled the sleeve out and only took a few minutes.
Hotrodvideo is offline   Reply With Quote