Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
GOSFAST

Default Flathead Valve Adjusting Methods ??'s

This post pertains to "new/fresh" builds, not already running units and like the title states, the valve adjusting area only.

I'm looking for very specific feedback mainly from the Flathead builders here who do the final assembling, I will explain a bit more at the bottom of this post! Here's the input I'm looking to get: at what point EXACTLY do you adjust the valves during the assembly and generally speaking what do you figure it takes time-wise??

Just about every time we build these units we try to find an easier method on some procedures to lower the amount of time spent on each and make the assembling an easier task, adjusting the valves on these Flatheads in my opinion is one of the most "tedious" areas overall.

I don't particularly like to keep turning these (already assembled) units over while "chasing" the valve lash and "wiping" much of the "moly" off the lobes before you even begin thinking of firing it off! Remember we're talking "new" here, not an older already running build!

Working on two member's builds here today I figured a very helpful method to make some of this valve adjusting "headache" a whole bunch easier to deal with.

Just adjusted all 16 valves, one at a time, turning the cam by hand (two fingers actually), and got them close enough to make the "final" recommended adjustment when it's ALL together. So far I have about 45 minutes all tolled for all 16 valves. On the very final ass'y I may not even have to come back and address this again, we'll see how close they stay with the actual Isky springs installed? I took an "educated guess" as to how close I thought they should be set with that "checking" spring in the photo below? Even having to "fine-tune" the lash setting it should take only few minutes AND I'll be able to check this closer while installing the pistons/rings?

Add: I'll have another "tip" later about installing the pistons/rods without turning the cam here also until the point I need to recheck that lash!

Try not to "forget" the original question posed above, sometimes these posts go "astray"!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's two shots of presetting the lash, the cam is being turned by hand, there is no crank/pistons/rods to contend with at this time! In order to make a small adjustment you simply "raise" the lifter out of the bore, make the adjustment, return it to the heel of the cam, and recheck it! VERY IMPORTANT: Once you've finished setting each individual valve DO NOT mix them up from the way they were checked in the block, if you do all the "settings" at this point will be invalid!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Ford Valve Adjusting A.JPG (88.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Ford Valve Adjusting B.JPG (108.7 KB, 177 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote