Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #521
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Well, I am on my third social security check, was med-evac'd off the island by helicopter with a heart attack 3 weeks ago. I'm ok, but have an all new diet that I'm still getting used to. This afternoon my wife and I just got back from a trip to town in the woodie. I bet we have 1500 trouble free miles on it now. I wanted to share some recent work and a few upgrades since I last posted. About a year ago I installed all the glass except for the much needed new windshield. The glass is raised and lowered with a black nylon strap or lanyard screwed to a saw-kerfed maple strip glued to the bottom of the door glass. There is a short piece of 1/4" steel rod, angled slightly downward to hook the lanyard onto. Holes were melted through at intervals by a red hot chainsaw file. The first holes I melted were to hold the glass about 1/3rd of the way down so when we were in town with our dog, she could get good ventilation and not escape. Since then I have burned a few more holes in between. The long rear windows are sliders and in felt lined channel as are the door glass. Last April the mis-matched front seats were replaced with a very nice pair of re-upholstered '64 vw bug low back buckets, and seat belts from Napa. The seats were found in this condition at the annual Portland Or. swap meet. After that I installed a cool, period aftermarket heater that also came from Portland. I still only have about 3 coats of varnish on the body so it has yet to be exposed to rain. The heart attack thing set my fall schedule back a couple of weeks so I might not get those other 3 coats on til spring, but it's safe and secure in the shed when winter roars back into the islands. Winter's projects include floor and firewall sound-proofing, along with a front floor mat. Who makes a good one for a pickup? All in all a great success and that 3M 5200 marine polyurethane adhesive, along with the baltic birch plywood splines in the wood joints, finalized with the hardened star drive 1/4" lags, many of them 6" or more long buried in the joints makes for a tough and resilient intersection on the door and body joinery. I'm glad I made the effort to build this thing. I had thought about doing so for many years, and the events at the end of August made me rethink some of my goals. The way they fixed me up at the hospital was not the ideal, as I had burned up much of my earlier options by not sticking with the guidelines given to me 5 years ago with a triple bypass from a previous event. At 66 with an awesome wife and 4 grandchildren, I endeavor to make this repair hold. OK, enough of that, here's some photos I took today after our town visit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9910.jpg (55.2 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9924.jpg (51.3 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9917.jpg (86.2 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9921.jpg (58.4 KB, 145 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #522
Fordors

Good to hear from you again, I have followed this project from the beginning and I think the look is perfect. Listen to the doctor this time, your family needs you and you should stick around to enjoy the truck after all your hard work.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #523
51504bat

Glad you're on the mend. I got the mat for my '39 P/U from Joe's Antique Auto in Mass. I was a Carpenter mat IIRC. Mine came without holes so I could cut them to config to the '39 which is just a bit different from the '40 and up cabs.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:04 AM   #524
Mart

Wow. GB, glad you are getting better. The truck looks great and with all the little jobs you're doing it just gets better and better. The terms you are using proves to me that only a highly experienced wood worker could have pulled this one off.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:37 AM   #525
flatford8

Gary....great to hear from you!!!!......glad you are feeling better.....I had my first heart event twenty years ago....#2 was two and a half years ago.....I definitely learned you gotta toe the line and try to follow the rules as best you can....I’m retiring in one year, four months and eight days....one of my first things to do is take a ride over there to the other coast and say hello and shake your hand....and go for a ride in that Woody.....winter is on the way here too.....the older I get the less I tolerate it.....take care......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #526
truckdog62563

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The others have said it, Gary. Glad they got you off the island to treatment, and glad your tune up set things right. Glad you’ve gotten details pulled together on the wagon, and hope you can get more enjoyment out of it before the weather turns. Stu

Last edited by truckdog62563; 09-22-2019 at 08:24 AM.
truckdog62563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #527
flatford8

I forgot to ask..... what’s the cord hanging down in the middle of the cab?....in pic #1...looks like an air horn......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #528
cas3

that truck is just too cool! stay well my friend, best wishes
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #529
51504bat

GB,
Check out this link over on the HAMB for some more wood inspiration!
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-show.1165713/
Old 09-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #530
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
GB,
Check out this link over on the HAMB for some more wood inspiration!
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-show.1165713/
Thanks! That was an enjoyable 'trip' to Wavecrest for a Sunday morning. And a big thanks to ALL my friends who have responded to this post. I am planning to build an engine this winter that would replace the 221 cu in currently installed. Last year I bought a std size 4" merc crank. Had it ground recently and I have a choice of a few 239 blocks here that show no visible cracks (even with my 3.0 power reading glasses on and a halogen light to help). I will let the machine shop make the final determination. This should satisfy my urge for another project, at least for a while.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 09-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #531
A bones

Nice to hear from you. Glad you weathered the 'storm'. The pictures are enviable. Here's hoping we all have an easy winter. I have a full slate come spring.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #532
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
I forgot to ask..... what’s the cord hanging down in the middle of the cab?....in pic #1...looks like an air horn......Mark
I have dual horns about 20" long mounted to the passenger side of the engine. I have a typical flathead era starter solenoid as a horn relay. As we know, the solenoid is activated when the small terminal is grounded. I ran a wire off the small terminal up inside the pillar and made a spring loaded wooden rocker switch with a bare wire on the forward end. Pull the rope and the bare wire hits a spot on the windshield header where I sanded the paint off. HONNNNNNK!!!!
Old 09-23-2019, 09:55 PM   #533
Mike..Yorba Linda

That turned out great. Well done from a fellow carpenter....
Mike..Yorba Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #534
38bill

Gary, Glad your OK! I'm not a MD but I prescribe less work and more fishing.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #535
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
Gary, Glad your OK! I'm not a MD but I prescribe less work and more fishing.
Gonna pull the boat out this weekend, but I like your advice for the coming year!!!! And thanks to all my friends here. Funny thing about this internet stuff. You guys really ARE my friends.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #536
RalphM

Glad to hear your ok! And the woodie is looking much nicer!
Take care of yourself.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:40 PM   #537
cmbrucew

Gary
Now is a chance to spend more time with the grandkids. Show them some about wood work and truck maintenance. Pick and choose which jobs you take on, and enjoy life.
Bruce
Old 09-25-2019, 01:27 AM   #538
mhsprecher

Truck does look great. Glad you are doing okay. Follow the rules, less stress and have more fun. You live in a beautiful spot, btw. That has to help.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #539
RKS.PA

Hi, Gary! Hopefully the stress of all that commercial woodworking in your shop has slowed down and current woodworking is on your "fun"projects. Also, seem to remember your lovely wife is an RN....that can't hurt!!!

Get your strength back and be well!! So good to see you back here on the barn.

P.S. take is easy pulling the boat....maybe have on of your friends do it for you!!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #540
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Hi, Gary! Hopefully the stress of all that commercial woodworking in your shop has slowed down and current woodworking is on your "fun"projects. Also, seem to remember your lovely wife is an RN....that can't hurt!!!

Get your strength back and be well!! So good to see you back here on the barn.

P.S. take is easy pulling the boat....maybe have on of your friends do it for you!!!
And she can weld to boot!