Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
31blackcoupe

Default Ford Top Loader input Shaft Length Modification

I am still struggling with this conversion of a Tremec T170 RTS Top Loader 3 speed w/overdrive circa late 70's-mid 80's. 4th gear is the overdrive. I am attempting to put it in my AV8 project, a 59ab V8 flathead. The trans had previously been greatly modified to fit a 4 banger model A. The input shaft was lengthened and the bearing carrier modified as well.
I have the correct adapter to mount the trans on the engine. I have the correct new input shaft (a 16P) and bearing carrier. The input shaft is still a bit too long and bottoms out in the bearing carrier. I have been told by a reliable source it needs to be shortened, the splines need to be shortened and the bearing carrier needs to be shortened as well. This same reliabel source is too busy to do it and won't tell me the amounts to be modified so I could have it done locally. I am needless to say a bit desperate.
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW? or where I can have it done besides California?
Many thanks (JSeery-I'm measuring the way you suggested, just not 100% positive w/my accuracy, and the trans is one place and the motor is here, but thanks as always)
31blackcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: Ford Top Loader input Shaft Length Modification

Art
Before you do ANYTHING more, you need to get the engine & transmission in one place to do any accurate measuring.
Then you have to contact someone like David Kee or Dan Williams or another knowledgable person re: the input shaft lengths.
Your transmission MAY be the same dimensionally as a regular 4 speed, but I'm not sure.
I do know that there were at least 2 input shaft lengths, depending on which engine the transmission was attached to (on a normal 4 speed, a shorter length input shaft was used on a car that had a 390 or 427/8, and a longer one was used on those cars with the small block engine).
Verify everything before you cut or modify the stuff you have
Jim

Last edited by Kahuna; 05-11-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added info
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
31blackcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Art
Before you do ANYTHING more, you need to get the engine & transmission in one place to do any accurate measuring.
Then you have to contact someone like David Kee or Dan Williams or another knowledgable person re: the input shaft lengths.
Your transmission MAY be the same dimensionally as a regular 4 speed, but I'm not sure.
I do know that there were at least 2 input shaft lengths, depending on which engine the transmission was attached to (on a normal 4 speed, a shorter length input shaft was used on a car that had a 390 or 427/8, and a longer one was used on those cars with the small block engine).
Verify everything before you cut or modify the stuff you have
Jim
Thanks Jim,
You're absolutely right. Plan on hauling the motor over to the trans shop for most accurate measurement. Just talked to Gene in Ohio (only 32) and he's saying only the tip of the input shaft needs a trim 1/4-3/8. When I measured it I cam up with the same thing. California guy uses a different adapter and it must be not as deep as the one I have.
Thanks my friend
Art
Old 05-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
36tudordeluxe

Yes, a a 4speed top loader off a 390 will definitely work; it's what I have in my '36 with an 8BA.
36tudordeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
Kahuna

I'm also using one of Gene's bell housings. It is really a work of art and works really well.
To the casual observer, it appears stock
Old 05-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #6
31blackcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tudordeluxe View Post
Yes, a a 4speed top loader off a 390 will definitely work; it's what I have in my '36 with an 8BA.
Thank you!
I hope to have the same results!
Old 05-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
31blackcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
I'm also using one of Gene's bell housings. It is really a work of art and works really well.
To the casual observer, it appears stock
Can't tell you how much I appreciate your feed back, Jim.
I think we got it solved. Like I said talked to Gene today and he said very minor modification just to the tip of the input where it bottoms out in the pilot bearing. He said "just grind it off and bevel it a little"! Also gave me great advice on how to fit the sleeve on the retainer (oil impregnated copper he supplied) "put the sleeve in the fridge and it will go into the throwout bearing carrier much easier". Gotta love it.
Thanks man,
art
Old 05-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Kahuna

I'm happy for you. This will be a great improvement for you and the car
Best
Jim