Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2020, 03:26 AM   #1
Richard323

Default drawings

where can I get the drawings of the FORD MODEL T?
Richard323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
Dusty12682

Default Re: drawings

What kind of image are you looking for?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Dusty12682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
Will N

I'm assuming you mean the engineering drawings/blueprints? I know that the Benson Ford Research center at the Henry Form Museum in Dearborn has the original Model A engineering drawings available. I don't know if they have the Model T drawings. If they do, it's kind of a PITA to access them. You have to be there in person and submit a request for the specific drawing you are interested in and pay for each viewing. Funny thing is that the Model A drawings were found by someone in a Ford office building garbage dumpster, and they were pulled out and saved. This guy later donated them to the Benson research center, and now they treat them like they are the friggin Dead Sea Scrolls!
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:05 AM   #4
Richard323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
I'm assuming you mean the engineering drawings/blueprints? I know that the Benson Ford Research center at the Henry Form Museum in Dearborn has the original Model A engineering drawings available. I don't know if they have the Model T drawings. If they do, it's kind of a PITA to access them. You have to be there in person and submit a request for the specific drawing you are interested in and pay for each viewing. Funny thing is that the Model A drawings were found by someone in a Ford office building garbage dumpster, and they were pulled out and saved. This guy later donated them to the Benson research center, and now they treat them like they are the friggin Dead Sea Scrolls!
Thank you, I would have treated such drawings in the same way!)
Richard323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
redmodelt

People still need to know WHAT drawings you are looking for. At this point it is rather vague.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
Are you sure about paying for viewing each drawing?

What do you mean about them treated like Dead Sea Scrolls? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Blueprints aren't something that are easy to find on the internet for anything let alone any specific automobile. The Benson Ford Research Center is exactly what it's name implies. It's a place where a person can go and do some research but they have to retrieve the files and they should keep an eye on them or they risk losing them. Right now they are closed for in person customers due to the pandemic but the staff can still respond to inquiries.

I'm sure folks donate collections of materials to them but I've never heard of important company documents that they don't already have being donated back to them. I'm not saying it isn't possible but it would be hard to beat what they have in their archives. The ones that Folks can't get are the production records that were destroyed in the fire back in 1970. They still have some of them but they lost a lot. There is a list of what they still have on their site.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
Will N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Are you sure about paying for viewing each drawing?

What do you mean about them treated like Dead Sea Scrolls? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I am fairly sure about paying for viewing each drawing. But I don't know this from firsthand experience. It is my recollection of what I've read.

As for the dead sea scrolls, they were in the possession of scholars who would only let a privileged few other scholars who were of like mind view them. I mean, in this day and age, how hard would it be to scan the drawings and post them online? They threw the darned things out, now the guard them like the crown jewels.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Some of the old paper type prints can be pretty big. That's not to say they can't be scanned but It may take longer. Not all archives like they have are easily digitized where it can all be viewed by selection on a server. Maybe some day it will be. A lot of their stuff is still on microfiche so that can complicate things further. This link gives a person an idea about how much it will cost to have them do the document search and copy for individuals needing these services. If a person is a walk in under normal circumstances, the costs will be minimal. I've heard they will be very helpful as long as a person is polite and respectful to them.
https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...rvices/remote/

I'm not sure what if anything was ever thrown out. The archives have been sorting and collecting things of Americana since Henry Ford started Greenfield Village way back before he died. They have extensive collections on all sorts of things and many of them aren't even Ford related. They have a lot of stuff on Thomas Edison and many other auto manufacturers. There is a lot of stuff on the aviation side and all sorts of other subjects.

I take things with a grain of salt unless it comes from a source that can be verified.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-29-2020 at 05:03 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote