Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Dale G.

Default Restorers of Victorias, a question.

When I restored my Victoria a long time ago, there was a metal cap above the door opening at the top that covers the wood that runs fore and aft. This metal cap is stepped to allow the top of the door to close so that the door is flush in the hole. This cap has oval head wood screws to hold it in place with counter sunk holes. When I did my car, I never took this piece of metal out that I can remember so when painted, it was painted with the screws out, I then put them after painting. I have a friend that is finishing up a restoration of a Leather back Victoria and is all painted. He is now putting in the upholstery and noticed that the metal cap I am speaking of does not have any screw holes to hold the cap up. My questions, is there a difference between a Leather back and a Steel back in the area of which I speak? When he bought the car it had already been painted, could those holes for the screws been filled by the painter by mistake? Is there a re-pop piece available that wouldn't have any pre-drilled holes?
This is my big mystery at the moment, please enlighten me if you can. Many thanks to all.
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Restorers of Victorias, a question.

yes there is a big difference between the steel back and leather back. on the leather back that cap or header cover over the door is nailed on inside the body and under the drip rail on the steel back the drip rail is spot welded to the body and it has a different header cover. so he is right the whole body get painted with the cover in place.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote