Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
Talkwrench

Default Vibration - rumble

Well back for the new year.. My pickup has sat for about 2 weeks while on holidays, yesterday took my daughter out for a drive and noticed that at around the 65 - 72 kph [40 -45mph] which happens to be our average speed limit it had developed a bad rumbling vibration. Today going to work its there an quite bad
So I need some tips on trying to pin point what it might be?
Ive tried clutch in and its still there except going down hill, not making a good noise either if I just cruise and hold the clutch to the floor [in 3rd gear] ..
Old 01-12-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Vibration - rumble

One thing I have done is put the rear up on jack stands and run it thru the gears.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
alanwoodieman

closed driveshaft? sounds like the pinion is loose, rear coupling is failing
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:22 PM   #4
Talkwrench

Yes I'll probably have to get it off the ground .
The pinion and coupling has been in for a few years now , was a real good original Ford one, I had to tap it on, nice an tight.
Im starting to think , uni or a bearing? .. center bearing..? But the uni has been in for a year and I checked it , seemed fine?
Old 01-13-2020, 12:01 AM   #5
deuce_roadster

What year is the pickup? What about a rear wheel bearing? If it was a front you would probably feel it in the steering wheel. If you are coasting down a hill turn the engine off and push in the clutch and maybe you can hear better where the noise is coming from. Does it change if power is being applied verses coasting?
Not flat spots on the tires from sitting is it?.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:01 AM   #6
Talkwrench

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Its a 35 pickup, 37 engine, 39 box , 40 rear.
wheel balance is my first thought and I'll check for weights missing, just not convinced its that. Just recently checked front wheel bearings and king pins.. , I know Ive had play in the pins been like that for sometime. Rear bearings... Ok I'll check it.
Flatspots, mmm wasnt sitting that long and never an issue before, but I'll jack it up and check..
I'll try turning it off, see what happens I'll see if I can do it on the way home..
Old 01-13-2020, 03:52 AM   #7
ford38v8

Wheel weights may be of the less reliable variety that use sticky stuff instead of the older metal clips. Tires also may separate internally, causing a bubble or other imbalance. It does seem to me that your speed would be slightly greater to have a wheel imbalance, but then, your turtle may be a mismatch to your gearing if that is so.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
Talkwrench

Hopefully this link will work to the video https://youtu.be/OhTJ-4jFQpQ
The grinding rumble noise and vibration was still coming through clutch in or out at the specific speed . It seems like it was coming from the gearbox area while driving.. I checked the front end and nothing has changed there. Attached is a video, took the rear wheels off and it really sounds like the bearings. It does it both left and right, in 3rd gear also out of gear. It didn't appear to be coming from the diff centre / coupling area?.. Guess the sound could travel?? Anyone recognise the noise?
Old 01-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
51 MERC-CT

Could be wrong but do I see bare metal where the drum safety bracket wraps around the drum? Possibly rubbing? Or even broken axle?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg safty bkt.jpg (19.6 KB, 450 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 01-13-2020 at 04:26 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #10
deuce_roadster

I would suspect a broken axle, and the external bracket/clip prevented the wheel drum and end of axle from exiting the car. Agree with 51-Merc-CT. If you take the safety bracket off you can probably pull the drum and whatever is left of the axle out. That bracket probably saved you a lot of grief. I am guessing the rear end needs to come apart.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #11
Lawrie

If it had a broken axle ,it would, nt drive ,unless it has a locked rear end.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #12
Bored&Stroked

That sounds like something in the brake shoes/hardware . . . doesn't sound "deep enough" to be in the rear itself. Anyway, that is my guess!
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #13
deuce_roadster

That hub turns awfully easy, is the other one turning the opposite direction as it should? I don't think I have ever put one of these rear ends together where going through the spider gears it turned with so little force.
Put the trans in neutral and have someone else turn the other side the same as you and see if the noise is different. If both hubs can be turned the same direction, the ring gear/driveline/u joint will be turning, might give you a different noise. The safety bracket is clearly rubbing on the hub pictured, so that is some of the grinding sound.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #14
Talkwrench

yes I did notice the rub from the bracket, not convinced its sinister yet, was always tight. The corners I do going to and from work surely would have made it howl and screech if it was moving that much..?

when the wheels were on and I turned one side I did see the opposite wheel going in other direction, I dont suspect a broken axle[s].

Yes B&S it does sound like that, but it sounds the same even when Ive backed the brakes off, AND both sides? the right side sounds a little worse...? It dosen't sound deep in towards the diff center
Old 01-13-2020, 07:48 PM   #15
Brian

Years ago in my 35, the RH rear hub [the bit the roller bearing runs in], actually broke right off the rear of the drum; it was the brake shoes carrying the weight. It was about 400 miles from home. I didn't know what it was at the time; I actually thought the problem was in front of car, anyway drove home like that.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #16
Talkwrench

Its funny how you make it home in these old buses.. in 7 years Ive never failed to get home driving it. worn ring gear, collapsed countershaft bearing, support bearing in diff, poling stater motor, stuck float ..
Ive only put about 45 miles on it since changing the yearly gearbox and diff oil, nothing wrong with it? Even when I went out the first time it played up on the weekend I pulled 60 mph in second gear.. there was no big bang soooo.....

Guess I'll start by removing the drums and see what lies beneath
Old 01-14-2020, 12:02 AM   #17
35ragtop

Rob,
I had a similar experience in my 38 pickup. It turned out to be the bearing behind the speedo drive. This roller bearing just pealed off the hardening . It was a repo bearing. I subsequently replaced it with a good NORS from Obsolete (Barnfind08). No further issues with that part at least.
Dave
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:03 AM   #18
Talkwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35ragtop View Post
Rob,
I had a similar experience in my 38 pickup. It turned out to be the bearing behind the speedo drive. This roller bearing just pealed off the hardening . It was a repo bearing. I subsequently replaced it with a good NORS from Obsolete (Barnfind08). No further issues with that part at least.
Dave
I know the bearing I replaced it and the sleeve probably just over 5 years ago when I did the diff.... But as I go from back to front I guess I'll start finding it
Old 01-14-2020, 05:57 AM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Do you have emergency brake hardware in the rear? Maybe some of that crap has come loose? Or maybe something with the wheel bearing or hub . . . just sounds like it is located outward of the axle tubes . . . but that is just a hunch. Bottom line, I'd pull both rear drums and have a looksie!
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:33 AM   #20
Mart

That hub/drum looks like a 32-34 to me. They're supposed to be used with 1.5" brake shoes. If you're running juice brakes they're 1.75" wide. I have that setup on my 33. The shoes will rub occasionally, especially when cornering. If something has come slightly adrift it will rub far more readily than with the 39 or 40-48 brake hubs/drums.
I ground some material off the outside of my shoes and it is ok 99% of the time.

Pulling the hubs/drums should reveal what is wrong and hopefully the fix should be simple.

As a side issue, I can't see that well in the video but if they are still there, you need to remove the nubs on that hub if you're running steels.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote