Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2015, 05:21 AM   #1
bundy

Default 1939 pick up hood ornament

Looking for instructions on how to assemble hood ornament for 1939 pickup please.
bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
39portlander

Default Re: 1939 pick up hood ornament

With all the books I have, do not remember any instructions for assembly but...

If you can find and exploded view of the hood, attachments ect that may help. All I have from my dis-assembly are pictures and memory of how it was before restoration.

Will make an effort to go through my disassembly pictures and books to see if I can come up with what you need. The "ornament" is your opening prop as well with a special spring/clip, tang and castle nuts/cotters as I remember.

I will be re-installing my hood ect shortly so this may be a good time to "jog" my memory.There are several of us 39 guys here that are sure to help. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
51504bat

When I bought my '39 p/u it didn't have the hood ornament/latch assembly. I bought pieces from several sources. I do remember it was a pita to get it to work. I think i still have some photos that a fellow Barner sent me. I'll try and find them and post them if I'm successful in locating them. I do know that when it was all said and done the hood latched but there is about a 1/4" gap between the hood ornament and the base but with my truck it was percent of improvement so it really isn't an issue. Hopefully photos tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Dec211975

I think I also have some pictures but have been unable to locate them here is a search I did and found these https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...939+hood+latch
Dec211975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
51504bat

No luck on the photos I had but it looks like you've gotten some other replies.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
bundy

Thanks all for your help
bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec211975 View Post
I think I also have some pictures but have been unable to locate them here is a search I did and found these https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...939+hood+latch
good find, I forget to go back into the old threads. These pictures from this 02-2015 post should help you out.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
SofaKing

I am going from memory from 2 years ago you may need to adjust for errors, I stole this picture from a referenced thread and believe a part is not shown: From the top install the spring, then the latch, then the lock with their holes aligned to the holes through the hood. Drop the handle in so the stud passes through the center hole and install the nut.
The latch is installed with the little rockers down so that it can pivot against spring pressure and engage the catch.
The lock is installed with the taper facing up so that when rotated it will go under the catch and lock it into the latch. (The lock has a little finger that will cause the latch to rotate disengaging the catch when opened) It must be “clocked” so it faces forward as shown with the handle in the “closed position”.
I am foggy on this part but I think there may be a missing part, I recall having to be careful with the two pins on either side not to over-torque them as they somehow affected the freedom of movement of the latch. (I cannot get to my hood at the moment to verify as it is buried while I replace 35 feet of sewer line under my basement floor. The guy who plumbed my house when it was built apparently thought shit can flow up-hill, but that is another tirade.)
The lock detent spring goes on last so the chevron end rubs on the lock and engages the two detents when the handle is rotated.
Give this a try and report back, it’s a little fiddly, I recall sandwiching the three parts together and sliding them into the hood cavity and aligning them with a punch from the bottom and then feeding the handle through from the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Latch 1.jpg (78.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Installed latch.jpg (42.8 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by SofaKing; 11-24-2015 at 08:24 AM. Reason: missing part
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:52 AM   #9
39portlander

That is a nice "addendum" to the thread. Good footnotes/arrows there sofaking, have an extra slice of Pumpkin pie tomorrow on me. Scott