Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #81
41panelmark

Default Re: Saving a family treasure...(1936 1and1/2 ton)

Great progress.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #82
farmboy

When we took the seat and the gas tank and we found a few late things behind the seat. When we took the seat and the gas tank and we found a few neat things behind the cab.

Anybody know what this is for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.0 KB, 154 views)
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #83
farmboy

Also found this old grease gun and a spare set of Champion Spark Plug from back in the day and numerous pairs of leather gloves pretty cool

Also found the original handcrank back there to start it by hand

Sorry still won't let me post more than one picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.5 KB, 93 views)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #84
MGG

The large socket is for removing and/or adjusting the hub bearing nuts in the hub of the full floating rear axle.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #85
funrunr

If those plugs are in one piece some of the guys here might like to have them just for points in concourse shows. Post a pic of them and or list them on the early V8 for sale forum. BTW, your probably posting using your phone and it will only load one pic at a time. If you post using your pc it will allow many pics. Keep up the progress,
Old 09-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #86
farmboy

Here's the plugs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.6 KB, 98 views)
Old 09-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #87
funrunr

I'm sure one of the purist can help identify as far as being correct for certain years or concourse correct. I'm sure someone will chime in as plenty of people have listed certain ones wanted or needed. Don't throw them away until you hear from one of the pros. Definitely has a unique look though
Old 09-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #88
farmboy

Any of you fellas know what this was ? It had a spring on it that broke when we pulled the moter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.7 KB, 129 views)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #89
tubman

Looks like the Brake Light switch to me. Th e spring would hold it open until the brakes were applied.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #90
Bob C

That's the stop light switch.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #91
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Looks like the Brake Light switch to me. Th e spring would hold it open until the brakes were applied.
Why yeah, that makes sense.. I do not see any lights on the back, they probably fell off as wood on the bed deteriorated. Did it just have one light in the back or two back then, I have heard both?
Old 09-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #92
farmboy

A little update so far, I had a lull in the work on the farm this week, so got a pretty good start on things. Removed the seat and gas tank, and got the cab blew out, and the spiders. That cab was full of brown recluses underneath the material on the doors and headliner that was left. After removing all of that, it was easy to detach the back of the tranny, driveshaft, and linkages that needed to be removed. Then got the engine pulled which was relatively easy. The ujoint on the back of the tranny seemed to be in great shape, it will freewheel for awhile after you spin it, and the bearing seemed tight as a drum. I also removed the starter and already had the generator removed of course, so I took them to a local shop that rebuilds them, I was nervous taking them in there as they are so old, he laughed and said no problem, he can fix anything but a broken heart...lol, so that made me feel good. There is also a local machine shop that is well known for engine rebuilds, I have used them before to redo a head on an H farmall. He said he was familiar with the flatheads and to bring it in, so whatever it needs it's getting overhauled. I've got a wiring harness and rebuilt helmet distributor on the way, as well as water pumps and some other assesories. I'm finding stuff daily that i'm adding to a list to order, the $ are racking up, but I knew they would, my dad and I are splitting the cost so that helps.

One thing I found interesting that some of you ford guys can probably finalize, is this tag found after doing some steam cleaning around the tranny for removal. this tag says "reconditioned cylinders assential" and at the bottom is stamped in the plate "6-40"....does this stand for june of 1940 you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.8 KB, 124 views)
Old 09-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #93
alan

taillight was only on left side and was mounted to the frame, look for two holes, one above the other about 16-18" from end of frame, some frames had right side hole. looks like a factory authorized rebuilder tag and yes 6'40 would indicate june 1940. some of these tags listed the bearings under cut for rods/mains, some had bore oversize also.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #94
totto

The large socket smaller end removes the front hub caps.
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #95
farmboy

Update..

I found a guy locally that is really familiar with the flatheads, so I have got it to him to get his take on what we are going to do with it. Got more parts coming in, I should have everything I need to run the engine again when we get it overhauled, or whatever it needs. The key is stuck in the column drop ignition, been trying to get that out as the passengers door handle is locked, but the door will open on the inside. Today however with all the attempts the key broke off in the ignition, so any ideas on how to unlock it now are welcome..

Fixing to take off the bed, then will do some more cleaning, and probably get some tires on it. It is slowly but surely coming together! Sometime, not sure when, i'm going to start trying to free up all the tie rods and linkages that initiate the mechanical brakes, it's all froze up. Then will tackle the brakes themselves.

we are calling it "Project: Pop Palmer's Truck"..
Old 09-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #96
Vanspeed

On the bottom of the column, below the key cylinder you should see a round plug that will be flush with the column drop. Drill it and tap it using a 8-32 fine thread tap. Find a screw that is the same thread count and screw it in. Take a claw end of a hammer and slide it under the head of the screw. It should pop right out. Then the key and cylinder will be free to be removed. I just did this same thing last week and it works like a charm.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #97
farmboy

Update and question..

Thanks again for all the advice on here, it has really helped me get the ball rolling on some stuff I need, and need to do. I got a new set of tires ordered that look the Goodrich ones that are on them.... (does anybody know when Goodrich became BF Goodrich, because the old truck just has "Goodrich"...lol. Anyhow today we are getting some rain, so will be working in the shop again, so if I get a chance, i'm going to clean out what's left in the bed, and dismount it from the truck, leaving just the frame for cleaning. yesterday I was soaking all the fasteners I was underneath the truck, and decided to check the back differential for oil. I was full of oil, with no water. I was glad to see that!

Dad and I have two different color schemes we found we like for the truck, of course we are leaning to closest to what Pop had it in the 30's, but we will see..

My last question is a random one as usual as I just get things on my mind, but the hood hinges on the hood, are they the same as the half ton pickups? I'm assuming they are. They still are kinda functional on the hood, especially the ones on the side, i'd thought about keeping them and just replacing the more damaged on in the top center, it has detached from the hood in places.
Thanks again.....Bret.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #98
Bob C

Founded in 1870 as Goodrich, Tew & Co. The company name was changed to the "B.F. Goodrich Company" in 1880, to BFGoodrich in the 1980s, and to "Goodrich Corporation" in 2001.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #99
Don Rogers

The B. F. in BF Goodrich was actually Goodrich's First and middle initials..Benjamin Franklin Goodrich
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #100
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
The B. F. in BF Goodrich was actually Goodrich's First and middle initials..Benjamin Franklin Goodrich
That explains it...thanks..