Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Big Z

Default 59ab water pumps, where to buy them?

My 36 3 window has a 42 flathead in it and the left waterpump just started leaking badly. Where is my best best on replacing the pair of pumps? Skips, Macs, Speedway? Any feedback is appreciated. The car does not seem to run hot with oem pumps on it now.
www.meltdowndrags.com
Big Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Old Henry

Default Re: 59ab water pumps, where to buy them?

I got my last pumps from C&G here: https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/show...g=120&t=804&tn=

They are an upgrade from the original. They have the streamlined impellers like Skips but also have sealed ball bearings rather than the bushing that is oiled by the engine oil. I have 30,000+ miles on them without a problem.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

I would recommend getting your pumps rebuilt by Skip Haney in Punta Gorda, FL. He does a beautiful job rebuilding them plus they provide improved flow and better cooling.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
richard rink

Big Z,

I have two pumps for 59ab that are in very good condition. They are yours for the cost of shipping (weight is about 15 lbs for the two, I am in Louisville, Ky.) You could send them to Skip for his modification. Richard
Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
eshaver

Antique Auto Supply in Arlington Texas

Obsolete Ford Phoenix Arizona

They are two places I have actually seen pumps for sale at .
Old 05-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
G.M.

Old Henry, NOBODY has a turbine impeller like Skips. These other "improved" impellers deliver 65 to 75 gallons of water each in 5 minutes, not much better than stock pumps. Skips deliver 110 gallons each on every pump shipped. Every pump Skip does is tested on a water pump machine. Others seem to be tested on the customers car. I have seen these reproduction pumps with cast iron debree lodged in the water passage on either side of the center mounting bolt restricting the flow to a trickle. In 18 years of doing the pumps and coils NO ONE has ever been charged for repairs on the few failures that have happened. G.M.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
OLD...BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Old Henry, NOBODY has a turbine impeller like Skips. These other "improved" impellers deliver 65 to 75 gallons of water each in 5 minutes, not much better than stock pumps. Skips deliver 110 gallons each on every pump shipped. Every pump Skip does is tested on a water pump machine. Others seem to be tested on the customers car. I have seen these reproduction pumps with cast iron debree lodged in the water passage on either side of the center mounting bolt restricting the flow to a trickle. In 18 years of doing the pumps and coils NO ONE has ever been charged for repairs on the few failures that have happened. G.M.
Hey G.M. Should I expect the same water movement on the 36 pumps Skip sent back, the impellers looked the same as stock (Henry's) I have several NOSB 34/36 pumps ?? OR is the improved impeller only for the 59 ab's ?? I am looking forward to better cooling on the way to Tahoe in June ?? Please tell me what to expect.... thanks.....OLD....BILL
ATTN; JM you can jump in here too, I know your running Skips pumps on you 35 driver, and swear by em ..... thanks for your input. o.b :
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
. . . They have the streamlined impellers like Skips. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Old Henry, NOBODY has a turbine impeller like Skips.
I kinda thought that might wake you up from your nap and get you to TURN YOUR CAPS LOCK ON.