Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #17
Synchro909

Default Re: Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
Interesting Synchro. My wife's Tudor with standard rear eng mount cleared the B carb by 3/16 inch, allowing the 24 gauge rolled airbox spigot to fit closely on the inlet stub with about 1/8 inch clearance to the 2 tooth steering tube. But my 1930 Roadster with 2 tooth box fitted and new FAM rubbers would not clear. I packed the RH bottom FAM rubber up by 5 mm twisting the motor slightly in the chassis I think from memory. It has rubber front mounts too and I think I packed the front RH one up too. I have worked on so many other cars for the club I cannot remember. Anyway this gave about 1/8 clearance to the steering tube. I suspect every car us slightly different which is why you could not fit a B carb to yours Arnold without the mods you did.
Since I manufacture fibreglass resins I suppose I should make some f glass ones as you suggest for the club. The steel intakes take me several hours to make and fit.
SAJ in NZ
It's a fiddley, time consuming job to make an air box the way I do so if I were to make a number of them, I think I'd look into making a mold. That way, I'd only be doing "the fiddle" once.
BTW, the air box I made for the B carb was the same as one I made for the Zenith but with a sleeve over the open end to adapt it to the larger intake of the B carb.