Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #21
redmodelt

Default Re: How to protect your Model A at car shows

RE; " However I don't go looking for attention and I don't let anyone touch or sit in my cars including family and friends" Wow! If your not going for attention and your family can't even touch your cars, why go at all?
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #22
Jim Huseby

To answer the question from red: People that know better than to touch your car respect it, and you, more. And they, themselves are more respectable people, so you are helping the "touchers" become better and more appreciative people by teaching them not to touch. If you have something that needs to be kept nice. I could leave a list of expensive damage done by touchers just as innocent as mice and raccoons.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #23
pooch

The kid you piss off because he touches your car, may grow up to be the rodder who has been waiting for 2 decades til you fall off the perch to buy your car from your deceased estate and chop and channel it to get even......
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Huseby View Post
I enjoy driving much more than just showing though I do enjoy people and answering comments and questions. However I don't go looking for attention and I don't let anyone touch or sit in my cars including family and friends. Cruise nights are great and there are enough car owners around that the guys parked near me keep lookers from crossing the invisible line. Some kind of spoken or unspoken arrangement like this should help when our cars are on display.
You should really stay home if you are that anti touch and if you don't go for attention, what do you go for ?? I have never heard of a Model A person that did not allow family or friends to touch or sit in his car ( wow ) ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #25
A bones

One Father's day show, a guy I was parked near, with a '36 Dodge sedan started wailing to his wife, that someone had leaned into the car while holding onto the roof. Just above the drip rail one could see where a ring gouged out a piece of an obviously fresh paint job.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #26
G&N Farms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclab58 View Post
I invite people to sit in mine all the time and give kids rides in the parking lots at the grocery store. As the caretaker of a piece of rolling history it's my responsibility to share it with as many as I can. You never know who might become a future A addict!
I was going to write a mean responds to the "get off my lawn" crowd but didn't. Last year after I took over caring for my A, I wanted others to see how neat, beautiful, cool or what ever it was. I'm a HOT-RODDER and have been for all most 60 years. I have been to car shows with cars that had paint jobs that would of bought my A. Shows are to hang out with other car guys and hope to get some one else involved.

Last year at this time, there was a post about the same thing and someone said, " ask them for their cell phone" once you get their phone, say "get in and I'll take a picture". I did that. What fun I had. I only wish I had taken my own pictures too.

When I was 6, a guy down the street had a gasser and instead of running me off he invited me in. I ended up being a high-end auto tech, have had a SCCA Pro license and was able to make my passion my career. I've always wondered what would of happened if that guy would of ran me off?

I think I'm going to go out and put the little truck out in my drive so the neighbor kids can see her.
G&N Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #27
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&N Farms View Post
I was going to write a mean responds to the "get off my lawn" crowd but didn't. Last year after I took over caring for my A, I wanted others to see how neat, beautiful, cool or what ever it was. I'm a HOT-RODDER and have been for all most 60 years. I have been to car shows with cars that had paint jobs that would of bought my A. Shows are to hang out with other car guys and hope to get some one else involved.

Last year at this time, there was a post about the same thing and someone said, " ask them for their cell phone" once you get their phone, say "get in and I'll take a picture". I did that. What fun I had. I only wish I had taken my own pictures too.

When I was 6, a guy down the street had a gasser and instead of running me off he invited me in. I ended up being a high-end auto tech, have had a SCCA Pro license and was able to make my passion my career. I've always wondered what would of happened if that guy would of ran me off?

I think I'm going to go out and put the little truck out in my drive so the neighbor kids can see her.
I totally agree. How can you enjoy a car when you are obsessed that someone will touch. Better to sell it and buy a stamp collection. Wayne
Old 06-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

People feel different ways about their cars. If you are afraid of touching and possible damage, you should stay away from informal shows. I don't really understand those that have garage queens that stay inside their whole lives. I mean what does the owner do, open the door say hi then close it before any UV rays hit the paint.

There are some that have spend a whole lot of money on their crs and it there is to be a scratch on it they are the ones that will do it. I understand that. It is a lot less stressful then running around the car keeping people away.

Go to shows, don't go to show, store the car outside, inside climate controlled, as long as you enjoy it that is what is important.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:05 AM   #29
Fordors

I agree with G&N farms, been a hot rodder for about 55 years now and have driven all around the Midwest in the '32 5 window or our Fordor sedan. Never mattered where, Columbus, OH, Oklahoma City, OK or points in between we parked our car at the show and left it, with never a problem. I was a crewman on a nitro fuel altered for a number of years and always offered to put a kid in the seat for a photo op. Whether it was a special needs kid or adult didn't matter, come on in closer for a better look and hey, how about a free t-shirt? There are always going to be some ignorant dicks around but for the most part people are respectful and appreciative of things. I tend to look at the bright side and you know what? It keeps your blood pressure down.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:20 AM   #30
vtwinsideways

So I'm just thinking this is why I don't own that beautiful Auburn Roadster I love so much. Since my trucks are just common old Fords, I let everybody touch, sit, ride and enjoy them! Course then again, I'm not a millionaire either! When I was a young boy a fella let me ride in his '36 Ford Woody. I've been hooked ever since. If I can do that for another, then I believe I will have done my part.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:04 AM   #31
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinsideways View Post
So I'm just thinking this is why I don't own that beautiful Auburn Roadster I love so much. Since my trucks are just common old Fords, I let everybody touch, sit, ride and enjoy them! Course then again, I'm not a millionaire either! When I was a young boy a fella let me ride in his '36 Ford Woody. I've been hooked ever since. If I can do that for another, then I believe I will have done my part.
You are indeed, a credit to the hobby! Wayne
Old 06-12-2016, 09:03 AM   #32
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Abone View Post
nice air in spare tire ?
"nice air...." Nice tire, too!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #33
russcochiolo

Fellow Barners,
My core belief is, "It's YOUR car, do it YOUR way!".
This is my favorite photo of how I share my roadster. The woman in red was out celebrating her birthday and wanted to have her picture taken by that "cute little car". I overhead that and invited them all in.
My roadster is a driver that I enjoy sharing with young and old alike. I am generally close by watching for the opportunity to present it, so don't worry too much.
I enjoy my car and hope that everyone else enjoys theirs in their own way.
IMG_2275.jpgRuss
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #34
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcochiolo View Post
Fellow Barners,
My core belief is, "It's YOUR car, do it YOUR way!".
This is my favorite photo of how I share my roadster. The woman in red was out celebrating her birthday and wanted to have her picture taken by that "cute little car". I overhead that and invited them all in.
My roadster is a driver that I enjoy sharing with young and old alike. I am generally close by watching for the opportunity to present it, so don't worry too much.
I enjoy my car and hope that everyone else enjoys theirs in their own way.
Attachment 273385Russ
I am sure it had nothing to do with all the girls being pretty ( lol )! Wayne
Old 06-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #35
rscardina

I go to car "shows" to "show" my car. All are welcome to take pictures and sit in the car if they want. I love seeing the smiles. However, I agree to each his own. A lot of Model A guys don't want people touching their cars and I completely understand why.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #36
racingrufus

I don't mind if people ask to sit in car for pictures or for a ride. We have a cruise in on the first Saturday of every month year around. I have a friend that has a very nice 29 standard coupe with a rumble seat that he will leave open at shows. My friend was away from his car when a very large women climbed in his rumble seat with out asking and got stuck and could not get out. It took 3 men to help get her out, he was lucky that there was no damage to his car.
racingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #37
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingrufus View Post
I don't mind if people ask to sit in car for pictures or for a ride. We have a cruise in on the first Saturday of every month year around. I have a friend that has a very nice 29 standard coupe with a rumble seat that he will leave open at shows. My friend was away from his car when a very large women climbed in his rumble seat with out asking and got stuck and could not get out. It took 3 men to help get her out, he was lucky that there was no damage to his car.
Would I let her into my car? Fat Chance!
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #38
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Suprised the fender held up and did not collapse
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #39
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingrufus View Post
Make her agree in writing to go on a diet before helping her out!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #40
rscardina

I have to be honest. I'm not sure what I would do if she asked me to get in my rumble seat. I think I would attempt to talk her out of it.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote