Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2019, 11:15 PM   #61
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck
Default Re: What's the latest you can remember anyone using an A?

There was a number of them in my high school. I drove a 30 coupe 15 miles to and from.
There was a guy that had a Model B pick-up with twin 94,s. It was a neat truck. Late 1960's.
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #62
BORN2L8

Not A but AA. This guy uses his truck all the time. Sits right outside ready to be used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0128181412 - Copy.jpg (128.8 KB, 61 views)
BORN2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #63
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN2L8 View Post
Not A but AA. This guy uses his truck all the time. Sits right outside ready to be used.

Awesome - Thanks for posting.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:46 AM   #64
IinheritedamodelA

I was born in 1962 in new hampshire and I remember 2 brother's doing their trash route's with 2 model (AA's) into the early seventies. My grandparents drove a 1949 plymouth till 1969'ish.
Karl
IinheritedamodelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:11 AM   #65
Oldbluoval

I remember a Model A....
When I was a kid we used to sit on the front porch (before a/c).
I remember my Dad listening and could here from a distance since and comment " here comes Lawton". The distinctive sound of the Model A would rise and in moments a 30 model a roadster would come ripping down the road and by our house! That was about 65 years ago.
20 years later I bought the car! Unfortunately he had taken the car completely apart. It was my first Model A that I sold before ever completing. I was young and inexperienced and even with some body work experience, I had very minimal facilities. I bought a 31 roadster(original uphol. and about second paint job for $1200; had paid $600 for Lawton's) and enjoyed it as a hobby for years. Finally selling due to young family and space to keep.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #66
Gene F

In 1979 I was about 19, and had a girlfriend in the south end of Columbus, Ohio. She lived on Barthman Avenune. Down the street a little old lady lived on the corner of Washington Avenue. Out ack she had a garage with a Model-A in it. Every year on "Decoration Day" (for you old timers) she would take the car over to Greenlawn Cematary to visit her late husband's grave.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #67
Russ B

In 1962-64, Model A’s were my daily car, regardless of sun, rain, or snow. My 29 cabriolet is insured for daily use, but I admit to not driving it in the rain. My 1951 Ford coupe gets more wet weather driving, but as a result, it has rain gutter rust issues under its nearly twenty year old paint. In the sixties, Model A’s were commonplace on the road as daily transportation in rural areas of California. Most had 16” wheels and sealed beam headlights by then.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #68
Mikeinnj

1965 My 31 Tudor was my only transportation. Used daily for work and had no heater.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #69
barnstuf

I got my 1930 Coupe in February 1941. Aside from my WWII service it was my only car until late 1948. It then became a regularly used second car, my children drove it as they became old enough, it continued as a family second car until 1992 when it was retired to life as an antique car after new paint and new upholstery. It always has had mechanical work as needed so mechanical restoration has never been necessary. Other Model A's I have owned were restored while the Coupe enjoyed its life as a driver.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #70
Don Cape Cod

I drove my '30 phaeton every day to work, about 45 miles. I believe it was in 1978 that we had that fake gas shortage. I even commuted on 495 (had a B engine)you could back then at 55-60 mph. Problem was having to buy gas just about every other day and your last plate number, odd or even, determined what day you could buy gas. I had to put the A up and ended up buying a Ford Fiesta. Second best car I ever owned.
Don Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #71
Don Cape Cod

I know Joe K, got to change my name now that I'm in NH. I'm putting a heater in my '30 coupe and you will see it daily on the roads just north of the Concord area. On bad weather days I'll stay off the roads because a lot o nuts up here like to tailgate and I run at 5 to 10 above in my second car (Toyota).
Don Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote