Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-29-2016, 12:49 AM   #1
jstrez5

Default 6 volt ford battery

Need a 6 volt ford script battery tried mac's they discontinued selling them. Can anyone tell me where i might be able to buy one i live on the east coast. Thank you for your help. JIM S.
jstrez5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 6 volt ford battery

There is a company that makes a look alike plastic case that can fit an Optima 6-volt battery inside. The script batteries are a niche product that can be kind of expensive. It is hard to justify the expense for an item that is finite in its life span. I've even seen where an original hard rubber tar top case has been modified for an optima to fit inside but I bet that was a lot of work plus it would be difficult to find one now days.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Don't believe the script batteries have a very long life expectancy. Lot of money and short life is not the best combination.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Don't believe the script batteries have a very long life expectancy. Lot of money and short life is not the best combination.
I'm with you. At one time when I was flush, I bought 4 reproduction batteries; three 12 volters for various O/T vehicles, and a 6 volt for my '51. None lasted longer than 2 years. I sold the dead 6 volt for $20. At that time, I couldn't figure out why the guy would pay much that for a dead battery. I have since gotten wiser. I now run an Optima in one of those expensive fake cases. You only have to buy the case once.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
russcc

I don't kno0w about script, but I had a NAPA 6 volt in the A for 8 years or more, and is still going strong. Used a battery tender. NAPA has them, $100., so does Battery Plus, for $84., both the same specs and made by East Penn Mfg in PA under the Deka name.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
redmodelt

They have stopped making the plates for some of the odd sized batteries. Such a low demand for them it's not worth the effort. We are going thru the same thing for a 36. The fake batteries are just way to much money for what they are. This is a very, very nice car (36 roadster) but not a show car. We are going to have to use the Optima but not going the route of the fake case covering it, we have some other plans. If you want to go the route of the fake script one, C&G has a nice selection.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote