Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Ford coupe

Default 6 volt fuel pump

Who makes Macs 6 volt pumps?? One on my 36 works great for starting only On 55 no good..So which is a good one for starting only on my 55??I mean what brand name??Thanks guys And or gals
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
bo8109b

Default Re: 6 volt fuel pump

I'm running Airtex E8902 6 volt pumps on two cars for starting only. They are low pressure pumps and will push gas right through your mechanical pump to your carb.
bo8109b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
wspiker

The Airtex E8902 6 volt is a 4 lbs. pressure fuel pump that is highly recommended by my sources. A pump with a higher than 4 lbs. pressure can cause problems, I am told.
wspiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
Old Henry

I also use the Airtex mentioned but the 4 lbs blows past my float valve on my carburetor and I have to use a pressure regulator.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

4# is like a 1/2# over the ford specified Max already.You will have problems.Biggest concern is flooding and an engine fire,there NO fun. ken ct.Put a good rebuilt mechanical pump on there and you wont need an electric one. OMO. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
mike42

I'm using a Carter pump, but have it cranked down to 1.5 psi and I use a Holley Fuel Reg. works perfect !

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
31chevy

Ditto on the Airtex.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
Pat/Ohio

The Airtex E8902, even with 4 lbs, will work just fine for starting and vapor lock situations. It isn't like you are using it all the time. Shouldn't blow by the float if using for priming or vapor lock.
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
41Fordor

Mine from Mac's bought last year is a Carter 6V. I run it as a backup and for priming only but the mechanical pump cannot pull through it when turned off. The Airtex pump mentioned above can be turned off and allow the mechanical pump only to run.

It's that time of year for vapor lock! But I'm not complaining...
41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Joe Immler

The fuel pump from Mac's part No. EFP-9359-6 is made by Carter. It is a full flow through pump. I use mine only to prime or overcome vapor lock. I have no problem when driving with it shut off. Before hooking up the lines upon installation I put power to it to test it. It was pushing air toward the gas tank, but was located properly with the guide arrow pointed toward the front. Realized that it may be running backwards. Reversed the wiring and it works great. In other words our Fords are Positive not negative ground. Called Carter and their Tech said running it this way will be no problem.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio View Post
The Airtex E8902, even with 4 lbs, will work just fine for starting and vapor lock situations. It isn't like you are using it all the time. Shouldn't blow by the float if using for priming or vapor lock.
It sure will blow past the float needle even when priming its still being force fed @4# of pressure to the carb. The excess pressure will not let the needle close when the bowl is full.Thats my answer and im sticking to it. ken ct. Result gas all over the place,good recipie for a fire. ken ct.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
russcc

Recommend the Facet pump, Made in the USA in NY by Purolater. Tech support is great, and will advise which model # to use based on the carb. you are using. Solid state pump, no pressure regulator required. Example, the #40104 is rated at 4.0 to 1.25 PSI and 25 gph. Mine was $33.00. I would not buy anything from Macs, it may be easy, but it's junk, made you know where, and the best part is they don't care.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
quickchange34

Macs parts are junk. Stay away . Facet and Airtex make good electric pumps. They are fine to use with 94s, 48s, and 97s. The 4 pound ones work . If the pump is mounted near the gas tank and you use a 1/4 inch gas line by the time it gets to the carb its only 2 1/2 to 3 pounds . I have checked with a fuel preasure gague at the carb.
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
cmbrucew

QC34
If the pressure on one end of a 1/4 tube is 4 #s it will be 4 #s on the other end.

Bruce

Works good
Last long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #15
flatheadfan

Need some conformation on this. I have heard that you could use a 12 volt fuel pump on a 6 volt system and it would operate normally but cut the pressure output by half. Any truth to this??

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #16
49r

The 6V Carter pump I got from Macs for priming/starting works well, but did need a bi-pass valve as the mechanical pump will not pull enough fuel through it above 30 mph. It is advertised, if I remember correctly, as a 2-3 1b pump, but I shut it off prior to starting when I hear it slow down - the point when it comes to the inline pressure resistence brought about by a full carb - to prevent potential flooding. If I need another pump I will get an Airtex to do away with the bi-pass valve.
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
It sure will blow past the float needle even when priming its still being force fed @4# of pressure to the carb. The excess pressure will not let the needle close when the bowl is full.Thats my answer and im sticking to it. ken ct. Result gas all over the place,good recipie for a fire. ken ct.

Ken...I thought you would be on your way to Tahoe! Those folks out there need carbs & pumps! I couldn't go either. Sounds like fun though.

As far as priming with the electric pump...I try to prime the mechanical pump and not necessarily the carb. The mechanical pump will introduce the fuel to the carb. I only prime with the electric pump for a couple of seconds or so. Like you stated...you don't want to overload the carb!

Regards,
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
Ken Bull

Instead of priming with 6v pump why not just install a check valve gas hose to mechanical pump? Same result?
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bull View Post
Instead of priming with 6v pump why not just install a check valve gas hose to mechanical pump? Same result?
Not if you're vapor locked.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio View Post
Ken...I thought you would be on your way to Tahoe! Those folks out there need carbs & pumps! I couldn't go either. Sounds like fun though.

As far as priming with the electric pump...I try to prime the mechanical pump and not necessarily the carb. The mechanical pump will introduce the fuel to the carb. I only prime with the electric pump for a couple of seconds or so. Like you stated...you don't want to overload the carb!

Regards,
Pat
I would love to go but have knee replacement comming up July 1st and will have to curtail rebuilding for a while. I have a pretty good stock of carbs and FP's and dist to last me out for a while. Thanks ken ct.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
Merc Cruzer

Electric 6 volt Carter with a bypass....no regulator (preset at 2-4 lbs) not pretty but it had worked for three years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5857.jpg (65.3 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-12-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Merc Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #22
Old Henry

Here's my Airtex 8902 installation. Very simple and works great (other than the pressure regulator I had to add for continuous operation.)

Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #23
dwick01

Great pic Prof! Thank you.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
dwick01

Old Henry, would you happen to have a picture of your fuel regulator installation? I would sure like to see it if you do. I'm thinking of following your footsteps.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #25
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwick01 View Post
Old Henry, would you happen to have a picture of your fuel regulator installation? I would sure like to see it if you do. I'm thinking of following your footsteps.
I went under the car to get a picture but it wasn't pretty. The pressure regulator is still packed in mud from my last "off road" trip. I'll get it cleaned up and get a good picture after we get back from Canada in a week. Sorry for the delay.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #26
dwick01

No hurry at all. I very much appreciate it. I have a '47 super deluxe four door that has not been run for quite a few years. I have been replacing master cylinder, wheel cylinders, grease seals and brake lines. Now I'm getting ready to remove the gas tank and lines for replacement and the radiator to have it rodded out. The radiator looks to be in good condition. I thought now would be a good time to address any vapor lock issues that might jump out there in the future since the current gas lines are going by the wayside.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #27
Old Henry

Sorry it's taken me so long to get under my car.
Got enough mud off of the Holley pressure regulator for you to see how it's hooked up.
The flow goes up from the bottom so it needs an elbow as shown. The outlet is to the side so a compression fitting into an adaptor to hook that up.

Last edited by Old Henry; 10-29-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #28
dwick01

Thank you Professor. I really appreciate it. Do you remember what the Holley model number is for this regulator?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #29
Old Henry

It's just the one I bought from Mac's here: http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-fo...0R3CHL1140518/