Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
stangblue

Default 6 Volt leaking piece of junk.

I have a 6v battery that been leaking since the day I activated it. Now i want to cut it open and try to fit my 6v Optima battery inside it. I never cut open a battery with a tarr top or any other battery. I have taken 2 pictures one showing where I taped on top to perform the surgery initially around the top perimeter. Not sure if I have to cut around the posts (or just tap them down) and lead connectors (pry up or disconnect from under?) that combine the cells. I believe there are separators inside the battery I will have to eliminate also. Has anyone done this before and any suggestions before I dig in.
I have drained all the acid and put it in a bucket of full of water to kill it as per a friend said. I may have to still drain the the battery of its charge it still reads 4.2 volts without the acid in it. I'm going too hook up a light bulb to it to get down more I need suggestion on that part too. The posts on the battery are 7.5 inches center to center apart, does any one have the dimensions of a Optima 6v mine is in a remote area. I know the newer 6v optima battery measures 10"L X 8.13"h X 3.5"w and the 6v lead battery case is 10.5"L X 7"h X 7"w My 6v optima is 10"L X 67/8"h X 3.5"w should be a tight squeeze.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170728_154601.jpg (74.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20170728_154736.jpg (67.7 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by stangblue; 07-28-2017 at 04:09 PM.
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: 6 Volt leaking piece of junk.

Check the height of the optima, a few years back the mfg'r added about 1" to the height.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
Dave Castle

If I remember correctly, Optima was producing a case to put a 6 volt battery in that made it look like a old school battery.
Dave Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
corvette8n

My Dad once turned a tar top battery on its side and melted out the tar with a heat gun, then he pried out the top with a couple of screwdrivers.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
tubman

I'll be watching this, as I have one of those junk repop batteries with a nice lookin' script case that I want to use. I was measuring mine the other day to see what I had, and if I remember correctly, the Optima posts are 8 1/2 center to center. The main problem I see is that the Optima is quit a bit taller than the case. I think I'm gonna cut the bottom out of the case and slide it up on that battery. Then I'll have to figure out what to do with the bottom 1 inch of exposed battery. I'm sure something will suggest itself.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
chuck stevens

I put an optima in a black case, it is not for the faint of heart. Buy at least five boxes of baking soda before starting. wear old clothes, rubber gloves, work outside away from anything nice.
The fit was real nice, a small adjustment around the posts, my 39 never started so good. Be careful, Chuck.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
expavr

As I recall there was a thread on here or on the V8 Times site that showed how to do this. If memory serves the gent who performed the surgery cut out the bottom of the case, removed the lead plates, inserted the Optima battery and used plywood to fill in the hole. There was some trick to match the posts on the Optima to the openings in the case. You may have to search the "old" Fordbarn archives to find the thread.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Buy at least five boxes of baking soda before starting. wear old clothes, rubber gloves, work outside away from anything nice.
AND eye protection!!!
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #9
Floyd

A great project. I have done two, one for my 40 pickup and one for the 32. (of course 32 is special as the original battery is smaller than normal and the box is constrained by everything).
Remember that there is no actual top on the old battery. It is three separate cell packs all potted with tar material. Cut, dig etc the tar out to the point of removing the cell packs. Don't worry about the posts. You can cut out the connector bars or try to remove them with the cells. When done ,messy job, you will need to make a top for the box that looks like the old battery. A piece of black ABS sheet works fine for this. You can machine or route in the grooves to look like original. Add holes for post and attach the lead connectors and threaded holes for the caps. You will have to cut off the little end projections at the foot of the Optima in order to fit in the case. You may have to cut out part of the bottom in order to fit the taller Optima. Well worth the effort as you will have a terrific battery and can put in in the original location and have it look great ,Ford script and everything.
My opinion
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #10
stangblue

Thanks for the suggestions and tips. My battery seems to be shorter in height than the newer editions. Will put on my hazmat suit and goggles for sure and work outside. I will take pictures of the progress(hopefully I will make the right surgical cuts). More suggestions always welcome the patient is not completely expired yet for the autopsy!
Old 07-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #11
Bill S

Take it to a battery rebuild place and have them do it. If you are not carefull you could wind up in the hospital.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
Floyd

It is not that bad. Discharge it so the Sulphur based acid goes to lead sulphate and neutralize it with a baking soda solution. Wash,rinse several times. Do it outdoors With rubber gloves glasses etc. Once this is done you are ready to start the surgery. This is a top down operation. Start at the top where you have the edge of the white tape and work your way all the way around. Then start cutting, digging out the two lines that separate the three cells, (don't worry too much about going under the lead connector bars). The only thing you will be saving is the two connector bars, the caps and the case. Therefore start digging your way down so as to release the three cell packs. Some heat helps soften the tar. There may be some partitions molded into the bottom of the case that will need to be cut out.
Let us know of your progress.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:01 AM   #13
stangblue

Thanks Floyd, I have corresponded with Frank West who had taken on the project before. Frank had suggested to cut !" below the side in order to salvage the tar top for reuse keeping the top of the case looking original. I appreciate your suggestion on neutralizing with baking soda, that would be smart as well. I will keep posting as I progress on the project.