Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #61
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Merger again considered, Credible opinions requested

That is true. My reason for not currently belonging to either right now is more financial than personal. I was alittle irritated with MARC dropping our club, but understand the reasons. Rod
Old 01-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #62
mshmodela

If the U.S.S.R can folded, anything is possible.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #63
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
If the U.S.S.R can folded, anything is possible.
yes and, a lot of Confederate money is passed down to generation to generation with a note, 'y'all are gonna need this someday'. Ya got to love optimist!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #64
Charles Coe

In a response to Model A Man, Pluck suggested starting a local club. That's a great idea. It only takes 5 members to start a local club affiliated with either MAFCA or MARC.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #65
SteveB31

I belong to both clubs, and have for 30 years. I see the differences in each club, and for the little cash it takes to belong, it is a bargain for the magazines, and friends I have met at various meets. I see no reason to join the two clubs into one.

The original post stated that we have a dwindling number of Model A owners. Unless someone has scrapped their Model A, with Model A Fords being restored, discovered in barns, and being repaired all the time, we actually have MORE Model A owners every year. Just less that belong to clubs.

It has been my observation from being in the Model A Ford business for more then 30 years, that the Model A Owners span all age groups, income groups, and even racial groups. But, most national (an sometimes local) club members seem to be the older Model A Owners. I think this is because many of the younger owner enjoy the cars, but not the social aspect of the clubs.

Every Model A has an owner- they just don't all belong to clubs.

Also, one more thought. These polls mentioned here poll 100-200 people on Fordbarn. Their are thousands of Model A owners in the clubs, and hundreds of thousand of Model A owners not in ANY club. I think ANY poll of less then 1/10 of 1% of the Model A owners cannot be very accurate.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #66
raprice22

For me, there's another reason to merge the 2 Model A clubs. I belong to 4 antique auto clubs plus local chapters, AACA, plus2 local chapters, Studebaker Drivers Club, plus a local chapter, and MAFCA plus a local chapter. So you can see that I pay a lot of dues to those clubs. I wouldn't even consider joining the other Model A club. One is enough for me.
raprice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #67
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by raprice22 View Post
For me, there's another reason to merge the 2 Model A clubs. I belong to 4 antique auto clubs plus local chapters, AACA, plus2 local chapters, Studebaker Drivers Club, plus a local chapter, and MAFCA plus a local chapter. So you can see that I pay a lot of dues to those clubs. I wouldn't even consider joining the other Model A club. One is enough for me.
It would not benefit you and may do just the opposite. Currently you have the option to continue with one club, 6 magazines annually, and pay your $40, OR spend another $40 and receive 12 magazines annually. Obviously you have chosen the former.

Now if this silly idea actually became a reality, they would either continue as either club does now and produce 6 magazines annually (which is no net change for you) OR set the dues at $75-$80 annually so they could produce 12 magazines. Now your only choices are to cough up the cash (which you chosen against thus far) OR drop out completely. Does that sound appealing?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #68
Roger V

I belong to both clubs and like them each for different reasons. I really see no need for merging. I think a few people feel compelled to pursue this for supposedly less cost. Doesn't make much sense that you will pay $40 or so and expect to get the total benefits of currently both such as twelve magazines. Nor will a single merged club end up with the combined total of both current members as many belong to both. I keep hearing the "fixed income" syndrome. If you're living in a refrigerator box under a bridge, that may be critical. If you can afford nearly any level of Model A, the combined MARC & MAFCA dues are a tiny expense compared to buying a Model A, parts, insurance, books, gasoline, tools, etc. Even if there is no region or chapter close by and you don't want to start one, the magazines, National Meets, etc. are worth the dues to me.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #69
Fred
BANNED

Can we bury this for the last time !!.. The above has shown most are for the two clubs.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #70
Fred K-OR

Everybody must be bored by the winter weather. Please find something else to do. Like Fred above says, bury it!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #71
newshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Can we bury this for the last time !!.. The above has shown most are for the two clubs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Everybody must be bored by the winter weather. Please find something else to do. Like Fred above says, bury it!
Why so hasty? There is a wide range of readers here. Some newbie's like me need discourse like this to understand the issues.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #72
Charles Coe

It has been my understanding that MAFCA came from what was originally a Southern California region of MARC. So evidently there were issues at the time that compelled the California group to start another national club. I don't know what those issues were or if they still exist. I'm a member of both MARC and MAFCA and happy to have both clubs.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #73
Tom Wesenberg

I think we need to merge these merger threads.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #74
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
Why so hasty? There is a wide range of readers here. Some newbie's like me need discourse like this to understand the issues.
Ray, often times things are not what they seem or appear to be. Where I think this topic gets skewed immensely is folks mention "egos" however it usually goes a tad further than that. We all look for ways that we can contribute back to the hobby. Unfortunately, not everyone shares the same opinions on something HOWEVER it is generally majority vote rules when it comes to clubs.

In the instance of these two clubs, you have volunteers that guide each respective club based on the ideas/vision they share as to what the future of that club should be. It is easy to make judgmental comments about 'egos' or speculate about decisions when those are coming from someone who really does not have first-hand knowledge of why decisions are made, ...but when facts are known, and long-range goals are understood, it is easier to understand exactly why there are now two clubs.

I think Craig was within bounds to bring this topic up again because it did stay civil, ...and I think we know where the majority stand on the subject. Ray, as far as newbies are concerned, I agree you should know what is going on. There are several Board of Directors for both clubs who 'lurk' on this site. My suggestion is contact each one of them personally when you have questions to ask them first-hand what & why on each topic that concerns you. Then make your decisions based on your own research, --and not from a forum topic such as this which might be guessing as to the club's motives.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #75
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
i suggest that ryan start requiring $40 per year for access to fordbarn, in order to filter out all the chaff that obviously wants to complain and get something for nothing in their hobby. Then the serious people will be able to enjoy this site and their magazines more. Who really cares how many club dues you pay for? It is your own decision.

Related note: Notice that just like clockwork someone always has to start a post complaining or polling everyone else because they think they did not get their magazine on time or may be a little late? Some people are so impatient and self centered i don't know how they can live with themselves.
how sweet it is !!!!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #76
ctvpa

Well, it is an interesting ride, and unique to see some of the posts. Some are very defensive, others bring new input from both sides, that made me think.
As I have said, this same question has been posted before, and within the last 3 months, has been posted by me on several sites. Some accuse me of out and out lying, because they searched, and not seen it. But that is my intent. I do statistical studies for a living. I would never post the exact same worded question, or use the same name in my post. That would contaminate the data pool.
Most unique are the private messages. They go from threating, to thrilled that the topic is brought up. I am still collecting data. Sorry to say Brent, not all have been civil. But it has been interesting.
Some thoughts of contacts:
I don't belong to either, it is just a way for a limited few to make more money.
I like belonging to both, I get two views, and more information.
I would never write on this thread with my name, I would get the boot from my club.
I think that the two clubs could remain independent, but have mutual meets, welcoming both clubs. That way we would not have to be torn between what meet to go to. They could work together more for better planning.
We are paying good money, and remaking the wheel. What is the sense of paying for two headquarters, two board of directors, two groups of staff, two separate magazine editors and two publishers. It is just ego that they are separate.

I will collect more data, and post it.
My comments are:
If you are upset that this question comes up so often, that proves that while it may be settled for you, but it is an issue for many others. Allow others to say their comments.
If you are insulting, I just remove your note. If you threaten, then I have no respect at all for you. If you do this, you should receive some counseling. For those with honest open ideas, I thank you.
Several senior members have said that the dues increase is a hardship, and they are dropping some membership. With age, they cannot be as active, so they are dropping.(Perhaps we could have a fund, and if a member has been a member for 'X' number of years, we could allow them a less expensive membership, as a reward for their past dedication, they could get the magazine, and clubs should arrange for other members to pick them up for the meets if they have physical limitations .)
Some people say that there are many more Model A's now than 20 years ago. He may be correct if he counts Model A's with big block engines and chopped bodies. But we are losing more and more Model A's every day.
Many comments on "getting along". As I read many comments, I agree.
Several comments who believe MAFCA only represents California.

I will continue to collect data. Most people believe that the duplication is an added expense, and there is room for improvement.
Many members that contacted me have had their car for 50-60 years, with wonderful stories. (I have had mine since 1975, I was 16, daily driver 8 years) I think my next project will be collecting those stories.

For those that have added constructive discussion, comments, and offered ideas; I thank you for sharing your thoughts. Please continue.

For those that want offer rude comments, without any mention of how to improve or correct the issues, please keep it to yourself; and get some social skills.

But clearly, much to the objection of some; people do want changes.
Thank you for your time and consideration in this important subject.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #77
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I wonder why you demand to 'just bury this'?
Could it be that you don't like it?
Look at the amount of people who have viewed and commented on it. Whether you want to be involved, as you can see, many others than you, feel it is important.
The members should have a say how the future of their club is managed.
Please, if you have a constructive idea, solution, or thought; present it here in the public forum.
If you, personally don't like it, pass it by.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #78
sphanna

Maybe you are advised to just bury it is because they are mature enough to recognize when someone has an agenda and just will not give up. It is really time for you to just zip it.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:36 AM   #79
ctvpa

=
sphanna;1022795]Maybe you are advised to just bury it is because they are mature enough to recognize when someone has an agenda and just will not give up. It is really time for you to just zip it.[/QUOTE]

These are the kind of rude and arrogant comments that pop up.
If this is not an important topic to so many members, then why is there 2,570 views and 82 comments.

So I will throw it back to you . What secret agenda do I have, and prove it to us. If you can't, then retract your completely non-constructive statement. My only concern is the future of the hobby I enjoy.

If you look at all my posts I have been polite, courteous to other peoples thoughts, respected their opinion. And for many of us, this has been a very civil and constructive conversation. I have learned and changed many of my thoughts when a respectful member explains their view. In retrospect I think others have read the texts, and maybe it has caused them to think. If you read, when people place an different opinion, and explained why, I have answered "Good Point". I will stand by my conviction, that this post has been informative, and (with obvious exception of a few insulting posts by rude people) This post has been a learning experience for all of us. It has changed my views an many issues, when explained.

Yet you reply with some sort of demand that you have the auspicious power to control what I say. I defended my rite to free speech during my service in the USMC.

If you don't like this subject, don't click on it. You clicked on it yourself. But you have absolutely no rite to restrict my comments.

I suggest that in the future, you be more polite. Comments like this simply show your ignorance. Make a reasonable comment, and we will listen.

I ask you now, prove to all of this forum that I have some agenda, or retract your slanderous statement. I have been polite, I request you be the same.

Now, if anyone has any respectable input, please let's hear it.

Last edited by ctvpa; 01-27-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:02 AM   #80
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
Great Point, Thank you.