Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2020, 08:33 PM   #1
jimTN

Default Delivery problem for parts

Anybody out there have a problem with FEDEX. They will not answer the phone with a live body, always say delivery will be a given day and that day extends to 9PM and of course the shipment is not delivered. They have a different delivery person it seems every week. What are your experiences and what works to get delivery when you are out in the country?
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: Delivery problem for parts

not my problem, but 2 months ago fedex delivered a package to me with the wrong name, wrong house number, wrong street, and even wrong zip code. i'll give em credit, they did have the right state. i happen to recognize the street name, its about 3 miles from me. so, i just delivered it myself instead of all the nonsense it would require to get them to come get it. i thought they're little scanner device had gps on it too, but it seems not
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #3
Newc

I started an old post on shipping problems after UPS lost a 40 lb box. The post is scary with all the problems and failures of the big three shippers USPS included. Try to search it here. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:06 AM   #4
Will D

I'm still waiting on parts coming via FedEx. Took 5 days for the parcel to travel 173 miles from Echo OR to Troutdale OR. Then on the day of expected delivery they changed the delivery date to a week later. Finally made it across the border.... frustrating at best.
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:09 AM   #5
flatford8

I drive for a private contractor hauling for USPS. The amount of packages moving in all four carriers is crazy right now. People are using on-line suppliers more than ever due to stores being closed or limiting the number of people inside. I’m sure people had issues before the virus, but lately the amount of mail moving is nuts.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:56 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

Did you get a tracking number?? Try e-mail instead of the phone??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:13 AM   #7
jimTN

Tracking number said out for delivery yesterday. I finally go a hold of a rep last night around 10:00 pm. He said it would be delivered today. When I asked what to do if it is not delivered, he would only say it will be delivered. Their tracking system wants you to put a ap on your computer and goes in a circle. We will see what happens today...............
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:57 AM   #8
skidmarks

As far as the USPS goes. I had a couple smaller packages in plain cardboard with priority postage take 15 days to deliver, but shipped a few the same day in flat rate USPS boxes and they got there either ontime or 1 day late.
To me, looks like the flatrate boxes take Priority over anything else.
One piece, that went less then 100 miles from me took 14 days ??

Smaller stuff the padded flatrate envelope is the quickest and for the difference in cost is a better choice. Most people are patient but some flip out if its 1 minute late
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
john in illinois

I live in a rural area with a small post office. Right now they are swamped with huge piles of packages every day. The post mistress told me they are trying very hard. A lot of times I go in mornings to pick things up and save the rural carriers the work.

Also sometimes nice to get a part early.

John
Old 05-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #10
34 GAZ

Things must work beter over here. Posted a large parcel with two headlights Monday afternoon 5 PM to a guy in Wales, UK and he recieved it Friday 9.15 AM.
34 GAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
RalphM

The commercial airlines move a lot of freight/packages with scheduled flights. It’s “fill” for the cargo holds in less full passenger flights.
All commercial flights are currently at historical lows, so less freight moving.
But, I have read that some airlines have converted planes over to be freight carriers.
I still think it’s going to take awhile for things to catch up.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #12
deuce_roadster

If there is a Fastenal near you and the destination or origin, they are a great way to ship large things. I live in Washington and bought a complete exhaust system out of Michigan. By using Fastenal shipping I saved OVER $100 compared to FedEx or UPS. There is a Fastenal store about 15 minutes away and since it takes me about 20 to just get in to town it was great solution for me, they called when boxes arrived.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #13
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Anybody out there have a problem with FEDEX. They will not answer the phone with a live body, always say delivery will be a given day and that day extends to 9PM and of course the shipment is not delivered. They have a different delivery person it seems every week. What are your experiences and what works to get delivery when you are out in the country?
We have had no problems with FEDEX, UPS or USPS regular
deliveries every day. G.M.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #14
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
If there is a Fastenal near you and the destination or origin, they are a great way to ship large things. I live in Washington and bought a complete exhaust system out of Michigan. By using Fastenal shipping I saved OVER $100 compared to FedEx or UPS. There is a Fastenal store about 15 minutes away and since it takes me about 20 to just get in to town it was great solution for me, they called when boxes arrived.
Last I checked Fastenal is only shipping their own stuff. No third party shipping right now. Also, depending on what area you want to ship to or from they don't ship third party at all.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #15
deuce_roadster

Very recently got my exhaust system, last couple of weeks. Guess I got lucky.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #16
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Very recently got my exhaust system, last couple of weeks. Guess I got lucky.
Or things changed since last time I checked. Good to know that Fastenal is still an option but I've found, depending on what you are shipping and/or where they aren't always cheaper.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #17
Brian

What are you guys whinging about? I purchased an item off of James at Gotham City [New York], which he posted USPS on 1 April [fools day?]. Tracking shows it is still sitting in Jamaica NY International Distribution Centre. 6 1/2 weeks to date and counting.....
Old 05-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #18
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
What are you guys whinging about? I purchased an item off of James at Gotham City [New York], which he posted USPS on 1 April [fools day?]. Tracking shows it is still sitting in Jamaica NY International Distribution Centre. 6 1/2 weeks to date and counting.....
I feel for you guys down under and in Europe as well. Long wait time to get parts plus the cost of shipping and custom fees. Makes it hard to build a hot rod but somehow you build some amazing stuff.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #19
hotrodart

I live in a rural area and have mixed results from FEDEX Ground. Last week I got a package delivered by FEDEX......the driver rode all over my lawn, putting large ruts in the grass. Seems like the driver must have had a few "adult drinks" for lunch!

Another time,, FEDEX just threw a package (a Christmas gift) out the truck door on his way by my driveway....my driveway is over 300 feet long.....I found the package in a snow bank near the main road....by accident I happened to look in that direction......don't know how long it was there.....at least a couple of weeks.

I have tried to file complaints with FEDEX Corporate, but they don't seem to give a hoot.

That's why I always use UPS when sending packages.......never had a complaint about them.
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #20
my4dv8

What’s up with these international distribution centres.? They seem to be the hold up. I cant complain too much as my small seal took a week to go 120 miles ,tracking says delivered . Can’t be delivered as its not in NZ yet. Apparently delivered means delivered to an international distribution centre in a small town in KY. So its been sitting in Erlanger KY for 8 days now. I appreciate things are slow at present, but i doubt this small town even has an airport.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote