Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default J. C Taylor Antique Automobile Insurance going out of sight!

I have my 1929 Standard Coupe under the J. C. Taylor Antique Automobile Angency since about 1980.

I can not remember what it started out as but I know about 5 years ago it was under $100.00 for the year.

Then about 3 years ago it went up to $122.00 for the year.

Just received my 2015 renewal notice...$139.00 for the year for the same policy I have had for the past 35 years or so. That computes to about $11.50/month...Much better than my 2004 Ford pickup at $40.00/month.

Oh well...it is either pay it or don't drive it...Guess I will pay it.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: J. C Taylor Antique Automobile Insurance going out of sight!

do you carry an agreed value? if so that usually automatically gets raised on every renewal which increases the premium slightly. i actually think your premiums have stayed pretty reasonable over the years..

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 05-25-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
Dodge

J.C. Taylor had the same rates for ever, this is the first time they have raised them in
years, we should count our blessings.....
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:57 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

$12 dollars a month or about 40 cents a day in my opinion is very reasonable. I would pay it with a thank you note ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:21 AM   #5
modelAtony

Hagerty for my 29 roadster at 25,000 has been the same since 2003 , 145.00 per year. 31 Tudor with jc taylor since 2000 at 17,000 with 5000,000 liab for great race coverage 100.00 per year. have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:11 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
Hagerty for my 29 roadster at 25,000 has been the same since 2003 , 145.00 per year. 31 Tudor with jc taylor since 2000 at 17,000 with 5000,000 liab for great race coverage 100.00 per year. have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
2 cars and 2 different insurance companies?
Wouldn't it be cheaper to have them both under one?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I thought about that a few years ago when I bought the roadster from my friend and it was already with Hagerty, I decided to leave well enough alone because the rates or so low. Have fun modelAtony Lafayette, LA PS TOM THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO HERE ON THE BARN FOR ALL OF US.
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
do you carry an agreed value? if so that usually automatically gets raised on every renewal which increases the premium slightly. i actually think your premiums have stayed pretty reasonable over the years..
Yes...$10,000.00

Pluck
Old 05-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I have Grundy and thought the rate was resonable for my 28 Phaeton (which I have undervalued), but last year when I added my 1950 Champion the cost was more than doubled. I thought it would just be a little more, so I asked why so much more. He said cars made after the war are in a different class. I still don't get it though, because I can only drive one car at a time, and the Champion is certainly not a high powered fast car.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #10
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

There was something said in this thread that made me question something in my policy that I have my A insured on. "Agreed Value". I will be switching to Hagerty and saving $192.00 a year in doing so and have the same coverage with a "Agreed Value".

Thanks for the info..............
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Absolutely! I have 4 cars insured by Hagerty. The first one is about $179.00. The rest are about $50 each!

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #12
FL&WVMIKE

I had a claim, with Hagerty, it was my fault with my own car. Their generosity about blew my socks off !
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #13
larrys40

I have had JC for many years and now have Hagerty. they are great! If theres' any doubt that they many of them aren't old car people check out Jonathon Klingers site of 365daysofA.com

Jonathon is a great guy who's testament to driving the "A" every day for a year was incredible. I feel they are a great reputable company ( and there are others as well) but they are my choice and personal recommendation. I don't squabble the price.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #14
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Well, here is what JC Taylor had to say about the increase:

Hi Sir,

Unfortunately, due to higher medical bills related to Liability claims, many states received a rate increase on that portion of the policy. The physical damage rate – which comprises the bulk of the premium – remained unchanged, but the Liability, Medical and Uninsured Motorists coverage were increased somewhat to account for these higher cost losses. We do apologize for the increase, but as medical costs increase across the board, it is hard to avoid the effects. At root, insurance is risk-sharing, and even if you have not had a claim, if the total pool of risk or loss has increased among all those who are insured, then the higher costs are passed on to everyone. Neither my wife nor I (e.g.) have had any claims or losses, but our premiums are up about 15% over the past two years. In most states, the rate increase worked out to between $10-14 for each of the first 3 cars on the policy (since we don’t change for Liability for vehicles in excess of 3). Again, I am sorry for the increase, but please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Neil Roberts
JC Taylor Underwriting Dept.
www.jctaylor.com

Pluck
Old 05-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #15
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Well, here is what JC Taylor had to say about the increase:

Hi Sir,

Unfortunately, due to higher medical bills related to Liability claims, many states received a rate increase on that portion of the policy. The physical damage rate – which comprises the bulk of the premium – remained unchanged, but the Liability, Medical and Uninsured Motorists coverage were increased somewhat to account for these higher cost losses. We do apologize for the increase, but as medical costs increase across the board, it is hard to avoid the effects. At root, insurance is risk-sharing, and even if you have not had a claim, if the total pool of risk or loss has increased among all those who are insured, then the higher costs are passed on to everyone. Neither my wife nor I (e.g.) have had any claims or losses, but our premiums are up about 15% over the past two years. In most states, the rate increase worked out to between $10-14 for each of the first 3 cars on the policy (since we don’t change for Liability for vehicles in excess of 3). Again, I am sorry for the increase, but please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Neil Roberts
JC Taylor Underwriting Dept.
www.jctaylor.com

Pluck
Steve,,,, who pays for all of the frivolous lawsuits? Of course, all of us who buy insurance Unfortunately, today's mentality of 'How can I sue and enjoy a life of pleasure and not have to ever work again' has buried us.

Some of your guys quotes for insurance are sure different than what I'm paying and I have Haggerty. First car at $200/ per year and then each additional old car is...................$200/ per year all have about the same value. $600/year for three cars. No "$50 per year for each additional car' at my house. Either you are mis-quoting or I'm getting hosed
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #16
jack99

JC Taylor is a fine company and I would not complain about your premium. Try with another company and see if you get the same coverage and the insight that Taylor has. Nice people who support the hobby and care not only about your car but you also.
jack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #17
Ron W

I think your location plays a part in figuring the premiums. Ron W
Ron W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #18
Redbird

There are a number of very good specialty companies out there. It should be at least "A" rated. Choose one you like and an agent that will provide great service, including claim service. Make sure you have "agreed value" and whatever liability limits you choose. Some choose the minimum and others go for great protection for the "what if this happens". Most actuarial rates are different depending upon "agreed value, location, liability limits, deductibles, fringe coverage, number of cars, loss ratio of the company,etc. Losses paid out versus premium taken in, plus a reasonable profit is the bottom line. Insurance is a business, not a charity!
I am with American Modern thru the Corvette Museum. My agent is Adam Boca. 877-678-7626.

Last edited by Redbird; 05-26-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Added
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #19
fritznbud

I left Hag for American Modern 5 years ago and my 4 cars cost me for the year, $80 for my '55 Chevy, $87 for 1960 Rambler, how about $15 buck a year for my 1901 Oldsmobile curved dash, and my dear 'ol A is $49 per yr. $275 is full coverage, zero deductible, insured value. Cant beat it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg april 4 2015 seneca.jpg (26.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 5-9-2015 fly-in cruise-in.jpg (57.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg oconee airport fly-in cruise-in 5-12-12.jpg (58.7 KB, 9 views)
fritznbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:17 PM   #20
BudP

I have four Model A's insured by American Modern with high agreed value, full coverage, zero deductible, towing, trip interruption, transportation for $418, Washington, D.C. metro commuting area.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote