Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #61
cwh

Default Re: '41 Ford COE questions

I finished the COE today. I finally got the correct alternator bracket and finished all the little things with the truck. The gauges are all hooked up with new senders but none of them work. I'll have to install secondary gauges for the necesities and have the cluster restored over the winter. The electrical system is totally complete and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I have a few self inflicted electrical issues that I had to sort out but now I know the harness that much better. It doesn't have exhaust at the moment. When I get home from work in a couple weeks I'll take it to down and have a set of duals installed. Here are a few pics with my little helper and the truck on it's first drive.
Enjoy,

Chris

cwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #62
cwh

So I got some duals installed on the old cabover. I've been driving it quite a bit lately. I had the fan bushings sieze and smoke the belt so I installed an electric fan. None of the factory gauges work so I installed an aftermarket oil and temp gauge. I have a ton of squeaks and rattles but the fun factor is still there. Here's another pic of the truck and a video of the new exhaust note.

Enjoy,

Chris

Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #63
alanwoodieman

Way to go Chris!! Part of the fun is the rattles, squeeks and the flathead exhaust note. My buddy is in the process of painting his 38 cabover-hopes to done in about a month. I have been driving the 41 almost everyday, going to start on my CA crawler pretty soon. Keep those boys interested, got to have another younger version of truck nuts.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #64
CajunCrawfish

Outstanding truck. Awsome driver. Fantastic sound.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #65
V8COOPMAN

I am jealous. Beautiful truck! You can keep the snow. Where exactly are you? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #66
cwh

Thanks for the nice words. It's been a fun and frustrating project. A work in progress. Already thinking of what I'll do this winter to it.

I have 3 sons and my goal is and has always been to subtly brainwash them into all things automobile. They have a fantastic hot wheels collection that is all american classics. There must me 400-500 cars in thier collection.

Coopman, I'm in Anchorage Alaska. Keep the snow? We have plenty. Couldn't you take just a couple of feet?

CWH
Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #67
alanwoodieman

I was at a big local cruise-in this past Friday night and there was a 41 COE that had been a firetruck, it had dual cab conversion and had modern drive train but the outside was stock, hopefully I will get some pictures soon.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #68
COE Dan

Chris,

Good to see yours is on the road! Just got word from the guys storing my COE that it won't start now (they were running and moving it once a month while it's in long term storage). But I can't troubleshoot from 4300 miles away...bummer, it will have to wait.

In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through your progress.

COE Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #69
cwh

A little progress. Pulled the doors, fenders, running boards and lower cab corners. Lots of sheet metal work this winter.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #70
alanwoodieman

ran across your old blog on the /COE--can't believe it has been almost 3 years--are you making any progress?
Old 02-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #71
JSeery
Member Emeritus

OFF TOPIC: Perfect example of photos posted from an off-site source. See this a lot, something happens to the link and they are gone.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #72
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
ran across your old blog on the /COE--can't believe it has been almost 3 years--are you making any progress?
Alan,

I'm making progress but real slow. I try to do something to it every time I'm home (I still work a 2 week on 2 week off schedule) but that doesn't always happen. I did get some welding done this week on the doors. I found a bunch of cancer in the windshield frames so there's a bunch more work. Also, my oldest son is getting ready to drive and I'm building him a little hot rod pickup. Lots to do. How's your red pickup. I find myself drooling over those pics you sent me.

Take care,

Chris

Last edited by cwh; 02-09-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Penmanship
Old 02-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #73
alanwoodieman

good to see you are making slow progress, since we last blogged, I have been busy-bought a 1/2 41 with a 4 cyl tractor engine, sold it and bought another 1/2 41 with a 4 cyl tractor engine, the first was too nice for me-guy who bought it put a flathead V8 in it, the one I have still has the 4 cyl-good for about 40 mph on flat land, 25 up a good hill. Still drive the 41 3/4 ton and am working on my x-army fire truck-converting to a stake bed and as you said a lot of things get in the way. Good Luck my Grandson wants a 67 chevelle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4080002.jpg (95.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg P9260008.jpg (111.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #74
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
good to see you are making slow progress, since we last blogged, I have been busy-bought a 1/2 41 with a 4 cyl tractor engine, sold it and bought another 1/2 41 with a 4 cyl tractor engine, the first was too nice for me-guy who bought it put a flathead V8 in it, the one I have still has the 4 cyl-good for about 40 mph on flat land, 25 up a good hill. Still drive the 41 3/4 ton and am working on my x-army fire truck-converting to a stake bed and as you said a lot of things get in the way. Good Luck my Grandson wants a 67 chevelle
I love the patina on that second pu. '64 is my favorite year for chevelle. Love those smaller cars.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #75
mercman from oz

Why were all the pictures of the 1941 Ford COE deleted, as I missed seeing them?
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #76
mercman from oz

Here are some pictures of a restored 1942 Ford COE that is in the Penrith Fire Museum in Sydney, Australia.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #77
mercman from oz

Ford Australia offered Ford COE Trucks from 1938 through 1943. They were very popular with the Army as World War II was in progress, and as you can see from the official Sales Figures, sales really hit a high mark in 1942.

1938 - 7 Model 81W
1939 - 3 Model 91W
1940 - 12 Model O1W-81
1941 - 13 Model 11W-81
1942 - 209 Model 21W-81
1943 - 7 Model 21W-81

I hope that you Ford COE Fans find these sales figures interesting.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #78
alanwoodieman

meant to ask you about the hot rod pick up-- Ford I hope but as long as the young man likes old trucks I am cool with it. yeah I have had several chevelles--66 is my year-wish I had the big block convertible back
Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #79
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
Why were all the pictures of the 1941 Ford COE deleted, as I missed seeing them?
Not sure what happened to the links. I'll try and fix that.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #80
mhsprecher

You clearly need a bigger garage....
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote