Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
modelapickup31

Default Starting out in Connecticut

Hello all,
Just starting out and have never restored a vehicle and this is my first forum. As a history buff, I have become hooked on Model As and am ready to build a pickup. So, I purchased a 31 chassis a couple months back and finally have it to where I'm ready to find a pickup body for it, I just don't know what to look for when it comes to cowls and cabs, and am wondering what book would work best at helping me identify parts I need to find. Buying a incorrect cowl or fender can be frustrating. It seems like most books I have looked at show how to restore a vehicle that already has all it's parts.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Geoff
modelapickup31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Jordan

Default Re: Starting out in Connecticut

Before you get set on having a pickup, I suggest you sit in one first. If you're 6 foot tall, you may not fit. They are definitely small.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
spdway1

Welcome to the forum from Springfield, MA!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Fred K-OR

Geoff,

I had a 29 CCPU that I did not have a cab for. So I made it into a Huckster. You can see on the left. This could be another option for you. The body I have is a Lentville A's body and Jon made a little more room for my 6'2" body.

Yes with your 31 chassis, you may want to look for 31 cowls, hoods, etc to be sure they fit on your frame. I am not an expert on all this so this Forum is a good one to get the answers you need. Good luck and have fun. If you have any questions, PM me and I would be happy to try to give you answers.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Step-down

Welcome RIdgefield Ct.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Reds34

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Welcome from Lebanon, CT

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Barry B./ Ma.

Good luck with your pickup project. I had a 29 closed cab pickup and couldn't drive it comfortably out of town because of my 6-2 height. The 30/31s are slightly more roomy. I also had a 29 huckster I built , bought the plans from Wagon Works but should have set the seat back a few more inches. The most room comes with a 30/31 tudor in my opinion.Again,good luck, let me know if I can be of assistance, I'm just up the road and have put together many Model A's.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
BCCHOPIT

Welcome from Torrington
Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
Jack S.

Welcome to the hobby from Old Cape Cod (Ma.)
Jack S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
1931 flamingo

Hello from new Britain. BEFORE you set any body on the frame, find the Vin # on the frame and take photos, once a body is placed on the frame the Vin # is covered. Using the search function at the top of the page is a handy "tool" and there are many threads as to location of the Vin #. If after finding the frame #, check it against the engine #.
Welcome !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Duffy1

I have been in our model A club for about a year and a half and have found that most folks in the club are car folks and history buffs . We go on many tours and see many historical sites . If you are interested in doing this you may want to rethink building up a pick up . As Jordan mentioned you might want to spend some time ( couple of hours) in a pick up before you make your decision especially if you are over 6 ft and plan on someone else traveling with you. Most folks that tour in our club are driving sedans or fordors 31 s/w being the largest.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
modelapickup31

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
I guess I am fortunate enough to be under 6 foot tall (5-10" to be more precise). I really like the design of the pickup but I will certainly take your advice and try to sit in one anyways to get a feel for it.
Thanks for all the great advice!
Geoff
modelapickup31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
SeaSlugs

Hmm gonna get interesting for me being 6'8" in a 29 closed cab AA... gonna be one long slow cramped ride haha.

Altho i do find my Chevette rather comfortable. Sure i can take my foot off the clutch and hit the right turn indicator at the same time...driven the 2.5 hrs to downtown chicago in it just fine, with 2 others in the car!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
Roadster62

ANOTHER Welcome from Ridgefield, now I have to find out who Step-down is. If this is your first Model A I'd recommend you not get hung up on details. If you have a chassis you have the option of putting a 28-29 or 30-31 style body on it, pick the one you like. Read everything you can on the one you like ang go from there. Bob
Old 06-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
c125bob

Welcome from Chattahoochee Hills, Georgia. Find a local club if you can and you won't regret it !
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
Ken Ehrenhofer

Hi Geoff,
Welcome to the greatest hobby int he world. I always tell people to start by joining the Model A Restorers club. When you join you will find the closest Region to your home. Go and join the local Region. It is full of wonderful members who are willing to help you. After getting involved you will go on tours and events and really start to enjoy the hobby.
Books:
  • The Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards - MARC Office
  • The Ford Model A as Henry built it. - George DeAngelis
  • Model A Ford Troubleshooting and Diagnostics - Les Andrews
All of these you can buy from theMARC office at 734-427-9050
and when you call you can join right away and don't forget to ask for the phone number of the local region near you.
I agree with everyone elso do not start to build a car until you are absolutley sure it is the one you want and fit into. I always tell people to head for a Town Sedan (you can haul people) but my favorite Model A is a roadster, Good Luck on this new adventure
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #17
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
ANOTHER Welcome from Ridgefield, now I have to find out who Step-down is. If this is your first Model A I'd recommend you not get hung up on details. If you have a chassis you have the option of putting a 28-29 or 30-31 style body on it, pick the one you like. Read everything you can on the one you like ang go from there. Bob
Bob: The 28-29 front cross member is different than the 30-31. If he definitely has a 31 frame he should stick with a 30-31 body.

Geoff: Take some time to see, read, and study body styles. Take lots of pictures of the style you want when you can find examples. Join a local club if you can and go to meets and tours. Learn about the differences in the pickups and the model years. "The Ford Model A As Henry Built It" is an excellent reference book for this, and a "must have" in any serious Model A library.

Welcome to the hobby, good luck, don't be afraid to ask questions, and keep us posted on your progress.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote