Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2021, 06:41 AM   #1
chuck stevens

Default fuel injection after market

Has anyone tried some of the after market fi kits? I have several flatheads and they just don't run good on 10% methanol. I have changed the main metering jets to improve the performance but, then my MPG drops down to 10-12. I get non alcohol when I can bingo they run perfect. The alcohol is not a good fuel.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:53 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: fuel injection after market

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Has anyone tried some of the after market fi kits? I have several flatheads and they just don't run good on 10% methanol. I have changed the main metering jets to improve the performance but, then my MPG drops down to 10-12. I get non alcohol when I can bingo they run perfect. The alcohol is not a good fuel.
Don't understand how going to play "bingo" makes it run "perfect"
Old 10-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
corvette8n

Not sure where you are in upstate, but all the Stewart’s shops carry non corn fuel in premium, not cheap but what gas is these days.
I use non alcohol gas in all my small engines also.

There is also this web site and they have an app.
https://www.pure-gas.org/
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
Ken Henry

Hi Chuck, I have a Megasquirt EFI system running well on my 51 passenger car, using an assortment of junkyard sourced parts. It uses feedback from a wideband O2 sensor to trim the air-fuel ratio to whatever you specify, so I'm guessing it could correct for any change needed with ethanol+ gas? I always run non-ethanol mostly because it's supposed to stay fresh longer. The Holley Sniper systems looks like it would adapt well to a Mercury Manifold and would be less expensive than the Rube Goldberg contraption I cobbled together. I have not used one though...

That said, I'm seeing only ~1-2 mpg better these days compared to the Holley 94 and loadamatic ignition, usually getting 18 or so with mixed in town/country driving and not stomping on it too much (I have OD). There's more power but I attribute that to the dual carb intake. Have you checked your air-fuel ratio and timing? Ken

81E4F735-C76B-400B-B889-208BFE47883C by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:22 AM   #5
chuck stevens

Ken, I don't have a fuel ratio tool. But when I jet it to run good I no longer need to choke on cold start ups. I'm looking into the holley sniper and a mercury intake, hopefully they have a ECM to go with it. I pretty sure it is going to be harder to get straight gas in the future, and I love to drive my flatties.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:26 AM   #6
ssffnomad

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Not every Stewart’s has non ethanol, but the majority of stores do.
It’s all I ever run in our FH.
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #7
saltracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Henry View Post
Hi Chuck, I have a Megasquirt EFI system running well on my 51 passenger car, using an assortment of junkyard sourced parts. It uses feedback from a wideband O2 sensor to trim the air-fuel ratio to whatever you specify, so I'm guessing it could correct for any change needed with ethanol+ gas? I always run non-ethanol mostly because it's supposed to stay fresh longer. The Holley Sniper systems looks like it would adapt well to a Mercury Manifold and would be less expensive than the Rube Goldberg contraption I cobbled together. I have not used one though...

That said, I'm seeing only ~1-2 mpg better these days compared to the Holley 94 and loadamatic ignition, usually getting 18 or so with mixed in town/country driving and not stomping on it too much (I have OD). There's more power but I attribute that to the dual carb intake. Have you checked your air-fuel ratio and timing? Ken

81E4F735-C76B-400B-B889-208BFE47883C by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr
is that crank triggered ignition also?
saltracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:23 AM   #8
Ken Henry

Yes, it's a Ford EDIS system, which I have had good luck with, but with GM coils that take a more standard ignition wire terminal. I brazed a trigger wheel on the back of the crank pulley and mounted the sensor bracket on the front of the engine. Chuck: ignition is one thing you will want to think about, as there would be no way to run a loadamatic distributor and have it work properly. Any of the stand-alone ignitions would work but resistor plugs are recommended. Also, I looked into it an the Sniper does include a wideband O2 sensor (same as on my system) that is used for self tuning. I mounted mine in the right side header pipe and it seems to work fine. Ken

A772FC73-578C-4782-9812-EC4AD0352756 by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr
Old 10-27-2021, 10:56 AM   #9
Krylon32

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's I sold a Flathead FI unit made by Flat Attack in Australia. The unit it self was well engineered but it's weakness was the computer that came with the unit. Once we figured out the computer problem and switched to I believe a FAST computer we were able to get the unit tuned and operating properly. I don't know if he still makes them or not. I have a friend using one of them on his FH powered 32 sedan and it runs like gangbusters.

Last edited by Krylon32; 10-27-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #10
saltracer

Ken Henry, do you use the mega squirt to control spark also?
saltracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #11
chuck stevens

Ken, I get along with a SBC distributor converted with Petronics no vacuum advance, and limit mechanical to 26 degrees total. I set timing with a vacuum gauge, not real high tech but works ok.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:06 PM   #12
Ken Henry

Yes saltracer, the MS has a spark table for advance vs rpm and manifold vacuum, and ‘communicates’ through a couple of wires with the EDIS module. Chuck, please keep us posted how this works out if you try it . Which Sniper system are you looking at? The 2GC?
Old 10-28-2021, 06:24 AM   #13
chuck stevens

Ken, I have a Mercury intake so I'll go with the Rochester 2bbl FI. I'm looking for drivability and dependability, not so much for performance. I drive my flatheads a lot, next week I head out for Florida in my 49, wish me luck.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:05 AM   #14
Ken Henry

Sounds like fun, Chuck! I also rack up the miles, probably a couple thousand this year. Enjoy your trip.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #15
Jacques1960

While on the subject of methanol, the most recent episode of "Engine Masters" goes into great detail regarding water / methanol injection.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #16
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Ken, I don't have a fuel ratio tool. But when I jet it to run good I no longer need to choke on cold start ups. I'm looking into the holley sniper and a mercury intake, hopefully they have a ECM to go with it. I pretty sure it is going to be harder to get straight gas in the future, and I love to drive my flatties.
The Holley Sniper should have the software all incorporated into it. No seperate module necesary.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #17
markdtn

So if a points Chevy small block distributor can be converted to a flathead, couldn't you use a TBI distributor and do the same thing? Then you could run a GM TBI setup with just an adapter for the throttle body to intake. Not sure what you do for a PROM because 305 fuel curve is going to run rich. Can you use a 4.3 V6 PROM with a V8 distributor?
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote