Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
SofaKing

Default Radiator 1939 Deluxe vs PU shroud

Hi all,

I am looking to install a radiator/fan shroud on my 1939 PU and have several questions. I'd like to benefit from your experience. JEG's has one, PN 960-32041-VFF that appears to have suitable dimensions but it is advertised as fitting 1939-1940 Ford Deluxe. My PU radiator top tank has a large overhang with a cutout for the fan. My questions are:

1. Has anyone used or installed this shroud, on what, how did it fit and work?

2. My Ford parts manual lists radiator part numbers but does not show the "Deluxe" radiator. Is the same radiator used in the Deluxe and pick-up?

3. Is there some way to know/ calculate how much "flex" is in a flex fan? I will need to space the new fan so it does not contact the radiator but space is limited. Recommendations on fan material and size are welcome.

Lastly, if anyone has a tip on where I can find an original shroud I appreciate it.

Thanks.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: Radiator 1939 Deluxe vs PU shroud

I can't answer your shroud question but on the fan, I've never trusted a flex fan but I do know the 15/16/or 17 inch 6 blade steel fan Speedway offers has worked on many of my deuces with minimum clearance. Never have to worry about it flexing.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
SofaKing

Thanks Krylon, have you noticed them being more or less noisy?
Old 10-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
GaryU.

There is a 39 Deluxe radiator on the swap side for sale. You can see that it is very different from a pickup radiator, also fan is mounted at end of crank on passenger car, pickup was on generator .
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #5
Krylon32

I can't notice any difference in the noise level. Only car with a noticeable noise level is my deuce 5 window with a 2 speed Cooling Components fan.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU. View Post
There is a 39 Deluxe radiator on the swap side for sale. You can see that it is very different from a pickup radiator, also fan is mounted at end of crank on passenger car, pickup was on generator .

Be careful here with '39 fans and radiators. The radiator in the Swap Meet is a '39 Deluxe, and very similar to ALL '40 CARS. Deluxe fan was mounted on crankshaft, and Deluxe radiator had NO stay rods attaching it to firewall.

'39 Standard has fan mounted on generator, and stay rods attaching radiator to firewall. Radiator also has the upper pocket for fan clearance.

Pick-up is nothing like passenger car. DD

'39 STANDARD Below

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
38bill

I think you need a shroud from one of the larger trucks. They show up every now and then.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:40 PM   #8
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
Hi all,

I am looking to install a radiator/fan shroud on my 1939 PU and have several questions. I'd like to benefit from your experience. JEG's has one, PN 960-32041-VFF that appears to have suitable dimensions but it is advertised as fitting 1939-1940 Ford Deluxe. My PU radiator top tank has a large overhang with a cutout for the fan. My questions are:

1. Has anyone used or installed this shroud, on what, how did it fit and work?

2. My Ford parts manual lists radiator part numbers but does not show the "Deluxe" radiator. Is the same radiator used in the Deluxe and pick-up?

3. Is there some way to know/ calculate how much "flex" is in a flex fan? I will need to space the new fan so it does not contact the radiator but space is limited. Recommendations on fan material and size are welcome.

Lastly, if anyone has a tip on where I can find an original shroud I appreciate it.

Thanks.

Here is a picture of my 39 pick/up with a larger truck shroud install upside down with spacer strips on each side to mount it. Runs for hours at a fast idle in 100 plus temperature and never gets over 180 degrees with Bob Shewman's 180 degree stats and Skips pumps plus a 4 lb pressure cap.
I fill the radiator up into the filler neck and never add any coolant. Also run about 50/50 perminate anti freeze. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (80.7 KB, 73 views)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
marko39

i have a shroud on a radiator marked 77B which is model # of 37 truck with 85hp. motor. per green bible, 37-39 trucks take the same shroud. it will not fit a 39 deluxe radiator as there is no flange on radiator to mount shroud. if youre interested, I can take measurements to check size. send me a PM. Mark
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #10
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
i have a shroud on a radiator marked 77B which is model # of 37 truck with 85hp. motor. per green bible, 37-39 trucks take the same shroud. it will not fit a 39 deluxe radiator as there is no flange on radiator to mount shroud. if youre interested, I can take measurements to check size. send me a PM. Mark

The 39 deluxe car has a crankshaft mounted fan and is down low.
The pick/ups have a generator mounted fan up near the top of the
radiator so a shroud will work on them. G.M.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #11
SofaKing

G.M., CoopMan, Thank you for the photos, advice and cautions- very informative. I am inclined now to believe that there is an error in the JEGS advertisement regarding what it is supposed to fit.

I am also surprised G.M., that the shroud in your photo is as effective as the numbers suggest. Given the clearance between the fan tip and shroud I would have expected the draw to be reduced significantly. I would be pleased with anything close to what you are getting.

Marko, thanks, will PM directly.

Thank you everyone, I will follow-up when I get it sorted.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #12
Clem Clement

I have a should from a 39 dump truck. I have not tries to mount as yet. I have an after market radiator. I will be bringing a 39 truck radiator to Hershey
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #13
Dan 1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
I have a should from a 39 dump truck. I have not tries to mount as yet. I have an after market radiator. I will be bringing a 39 truck radiator to Hershey
Clem,
Do you still have the fan shroud from a 1939 dump truck?
Dan 732-341-0008
Thanks
Dan 1939 is offline   Reply With Quote