Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
doublezo

Default installing new distributor.

hi. im installing a new dist from bubbas. its the gm with pertronix and mech advance. motor is a 50 merc. when installing should the rotor point to #1 exactly or point a little after #1? the stock dist was set up this way when i removed it, this is why im asking, thanks.
doublezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: installing new distributor.

Actually it should be a little before number one in the rotation of the rotor. Anywhere close it ought to run, then adjust with the timing light.
Let us know how she runs.
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
doublezo

it fired first try the way i have it set now. when i put the timing light on it , the mark was about an inch before the pointer, is that about right? this is the first time ive installed a dist, i usually get a friend to help. they confuse me. my car is on the rack now so i can fix a few things, ill drive it in a couple days to really see the improvement over the stock dist. oh and thanks for the fast shipment.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
ajohn

We always remove#1 spark plug and turn the engine over until you feel compression.Then set the distributor to #1.It should be good enough to run,then you can set your timing with a light.
ajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Byron Warwick

I tried to check my timing using a light, but it was so dim that I could not see anything. I was working outside, and I am running 6 volt. The engine in my '34 PU is an 8BA. What's next to try? Thanks, Byron.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Warwick View Post
I tried to check my timing using a light, but it was so dim that I could not see anything. I was working outside, and I am running 6 volt. The engine in my '34 PU is an 8BA. What's next to try? Thanks, Byron.
Bryon,

Would love to help but your question dont really fit into this thread, what distributor , what problem etc ????????????
Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Flathead Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublezo View Post
it fired first try the way i have it set now. when i put the timing light on it , the mark was about an inch before the pointer, is that about right? this is the first time ive installed a dist, i usually get a friend to help. they confuse me. my car is on the rack now so i can fix a few things, ill drive it in a couple days to really see the improvement over the stock dist. oh and thanks for the fast shipment.
I think the little dimple on the late model flathead pulley is 4 degrees before top dead center. 1-inch before the mark would be too much initial advance. I set most street engines to about 8 or 10 degrees BTC. That is what modern cars run on with today’s regular gas. If it pings you can always bump it back to the mark.

If you do not have an adjustable timing light you will need to mark the pulley at 6-8 and 10 degrees BTC. Measure the diameter of the pulley and multiply it by PI which is 3.14. Divide that number by 360 and you will have the distance of 1 degree on the pulley. Example: a 6 inch pulley multiplied by 3.14=18.84 inches divide that by 360 and you will have the distance of one degree. You can also convert it to millimeters by multiplying it by 25.4, 18.84X25.4= 478.536 millimeters divided by 360 degrees equals 1.329 millimeters per degree. Your probably going to be about around an 1/8" before the mark on the pulley at 8-10 degrees BTC.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublezo View Post
Your distributor is curved to run with the mark on the pointer with the timing light. ( thats 4 degrees) then the mechanical advance will give you another 24 degrees at 2500-3000 rpm..
( perfect for a flathead)
Old 10-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
doublezo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Your distributor is curved to run with the mark on the pointer with the timing light. ( thats 4 degrees) then the mechanical advance will give you another 24 degrees at 2500-3000 rpm..
( perfect for a flathead)
ok, that makes sense. back out to the garage i go. thank you for the help.