Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2020, 03:11 AM   #1
fordson

Exclamation HELP with FENDER WELT on 34 Coupe

HI guys, were doing the Mock Up of my 34 Ford 3W Coupe and i got the propper vinyl covered cloth fender welt in one piece. I did not realise there are other materials available which do not have the correct look and thickness (thick plastic) but luckily there are guys with knowledge out there.
I do not know into what length to cut the fender welt!!
Is it 2 pieces /lengths:
1) 1 piece from the end of the front fender, around the bottom tip of the grille and to the opposite side end of the front fender
2) 2nd piece from the beginning rear fender along the rear body / rear splash apron to the front end of the rear fender

or ist it 3 pieces/lengths:
1) 1 Front piece as described above

2) 2 seperate fender welt pieces for the rear fenders, beginning to end of each fender

I believe the running board has its own rubber strip / pad on the fitting surface between running board / body.

3) Does anony have the exact measurements and thickness of the rubber pad / strip??
Anybody selling them ?
Thank you for the help!!
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:43 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: HELP with FENDER WELT on 34 Coupe

Can not tell you how many individual lengths there are but any fender welt I have installed,was never pre-cut to a specific length.
Right off the roll it was attached with masking tape and all holes, slits and cutouts were installed as required.
The same procedure for each individual location, off the roll, no pre-cut length.
If you can make in one piece, then if necessary it can be cut later.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 05-20-2020 at 06:23 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #3
Bob/Pa

51MERC got it right. When I did my 34 coupe I bought by roll and cut to suit. I think I bought mine from Mac's but its been so long I'm not sure.
Bob/Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
FrankWest

THis shop has changed hands but used to sell the original type weltting material
Now mike driskol that has the original type stuff

http://fordscript.com/
FrankWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
DavidG

It's four pieces, one for the front fenders and grille, one for each rear fender, and one between the gas tank cover and the body. The running boards have no extra material between the boards and the chassis frame and there is nothing added between the body and the running boards.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
35fordtn

David,
I thought 33's used the one piece for both front fenders and 34's Use a seperate piece for each..

Were both years using one section for both fenders?

If so he will need 1 I have listed it takes 18' feet for both front fenders, 7.5ft for each rear fender, and 5ft for the gas tank. These measurements are to the high side.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
DavidG

Michael,

Good point as I am not 100% just yet. I may have the SK drawing up north that would show the original placement and the number of pieces for both years, but I can't access that for the time being. If I don't have the right SK, finding it at the BFRC is high on my to do list once I get there. Alternatively, the engineering drawings of the welting pieces will have their lengths which would be enough to figure out the sequence of placement of the welting.

Recently I confirmed that the welting beneath the grille is continuous and not two pieces joining at the filler below the center of the grille between the tips of the two front fenders. It could be that that continuous piece ends at the tops of the fronts of the inner panels and two other long pieces run from that point rearward to the front of the running boards making a total of three pieces of welting for the front fenders and grille.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
whizzernick

I have a 1934 5-w coupe built in richmond Ca very early glass date ( 11/33 ) NEVER BEEN APART vin 18-535xxx

one piece from running board to running board
I also have a very early 1933 2-door ALL ORIGINAL glass date ( 1/33 ) same as 34 Vin 18-219xxx
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
fordson

I got a 25`roll of black fender welt with 3/16" bead (vinyl covered cloth) from All Ford Parts, i believe its the correct welting for 34 Fords.
From all you guys i understand its
1) one piece from for the front from fender to fender (thanks whizzernick for confirming)
2) one seperate piece for each rear fender - total of two pieces
3) one seperate piece from the gas tank cover to body
= 4 pieces! (thanks David)
According to 35fordnt i would have too little - damn!
Well try to fit it that way and cut slits and cutouts accordingly.
Hope that works and is correct !

David:
"It could be that that continuous piece ends at the tops of the fronts of the inner panels and two other long pieces run from that point rearward to the front of the running boards making a total of three pieces of welting for the front fenders and grille".
...that would not show a continous running fender welt!! doesnt that look kind of odd?! It would be interesting to find out if it actually is 3 pieces for the front.
I hope a total of 4 pieces is correct,
thank you!
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:26 PM   #10
DavidG

I recant what I wrote earlier. It's one piece running board to running board in the front end.