Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
vern hodgson

Default Scam?

Guy calls me from California offering to sell some model a parts I was looking for. Wants to do the deal right away. I had advertised for them a year or so back. He goes by the name of Armando Castro, says his father has used the barn before. Can any one shed any light on this? I am traveling in Utah at the present time???
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
Mark W.

Default Re: Scam?

Don't think it is anything BUT A SCAM if he is pushing for a quick payment or easy deal...

Is he willing to send pictures? If so, and after he does, then ask for a picture of the other side, if he picked the picture off the internet he wouldn't be able to supply another to easily and you can tell if it is the same parts.

Good luck, but I wouldn't be too quick to pay.
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

I'll shed my experienced light:

1. Ever notice salesmen:

A. You only have 3 days to get 20% off.

B. While they last, hurry to get your free umbrella with your car's new brake job.

2. How about? Hey, I'm in Utah!

A. E.g., nobody is watching my house.

B. Ask him if he can wait until "you" are able to meet with him.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
mike657894

im pretty savy. and it smells fishy to me.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
mike657894

what parts are you in need of?
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
1931flathead

ask him for a pics of it but tell him to put something in the pics so he cannot use one off the web
1931flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
what parts are you in need of?
Tudor sedan rear seats or springs, and now I am worried!
Old 06-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #8
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
im pretty savy. and it smells fishy to me.
Now I feel pretty stupid, he asked for my address to get me a shipping cost. Guess there's one born every minute
Old 06-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern hodgson View Post
Now I feel pretty stupid, he asked for my address to get me a shipping cost. Guess there's one born every minute
All he needs is your zip code to get a shipping cost and whether it is a residence or business. Give it to him.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Vern,

Small sincere hint from a few past Sad Experiences:

Many here would trust Mr. Walt Bratton, Mr. Steve at Bert's, or Mr. Snyder with a four (4) thousand dollar Model A order any day of the week.

However, about 20 years ago I trusted a quite few slick Model A used car parts jerks advertising their cheap Model A used parts with Hemmings Motor News.

One guy had a pair of 1930 Coupe rear fenders ..... another guy had a 1930 differential ..... etc., etc., .... after arrival with costly truck shipping, they were both 1929.

Called each one and both answered about as honestly as Adolph Hitler playing Santa at the White House during Christmas of 1939.

Be very careful .... some sick jerks today love picking up cheap inoperable crap at their local garage sales, swap meets, sell same on Ebay or elsewhere, and then brag on their great professional salesmanship ability.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #11
old car guy

Vern it could well be a scam, but you did advertise for the parts and he did respond albeit very late but! Have them shipped cod or find out where he lives and have a ford barner in the area look at them . Nothing in buying used or antique parts is ever anything but a gamble. Sure it's a lot safer when you know the seller personally, but that's only about 10 percent of the time when you are buying parts. I have bought many thousands of dollars of parts along the way and for the most part it's been a fairly decent transaction. But I also have been burned by reputable sellers along the way also. It's always been a crap shoot. I hope the parts are real and that he really does have them if they are the ones you need .
Best of luck in finding them .
Old 06-18-2017, 12:13 AM   #12
Floats

Hi Vern,
The OLD CAR GUY is correct. There are a zillion barners in all the 360 corners of the world, who will gladly go and have a look for you.
Regard
Chris
Cape Town
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:37 AM   #13
Paul Bennett

I was trusting when I was young and eventually learned when to keep my cards close to my vest (always). First, assume Armando may be your lost uncle with just what you need. That acknowledged ...

You want information, he wants money. It is actually easy to protect yourself and be gentlemanly in your conduct. Basically, when you meet a stranger, assume you might eventually become best of friends and treat them with complete respect. Ask questions but politely ignore his questions.

Give strangers next to no information whatsoever. If they insist walk away. And/or it is very easy to lie about addresses, phone number, and virtually any personal information and still learn enough about a potential dealings or offering. And as things pan out, gradually come clean or correct your personal information as the situation requires.

Also, why some have trouble with Craigslist transactions I'll never know as CL is perfect for both parties being completely satisfied in a barter exchange. And never come to know anyone's name, phone or ??.

Also, as others have mentioned, there is no rush. If you miss getting a rare something at a cheap price, it just wasn't meant to be. That attitude will go far. As will treating people kindly and with trust. Now then, what's your SS nr? Have I got a deal for you.

Last edited by Paul Bennett; 06-18-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #14
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floats View Post
Hi Vern,
The OLD CAR GUY is correct. There are a zillion barners in all the 360 corners of the world, who will gladly go and have a look for you.
Regard
Chris
Cape Town
Ok his name is armondo Castro. 650-304-2383. 739 clear field lane. Milbrae ca. 94030 all I want are the rear seats. He talked as if he had more parts??? Who knows. Let us know what you find. It's in the San Francisco area.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #15
duke36

google the address for a street shot to verify if there's such a place; one can view public records also, white pages, zillo to help verify. If you need seats, one can get frames and springs from Snyders, Le Baron Bonney.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:43 AM   #16
30 Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern hodgson View Post
Ok his name is .........................
all I want are the rear seats. He talked as if he had more parts??? Who knows. Let us know what you find. It's in the San Francisco area.
So possibly he just happened to see your ad and was trying to sell you some parts. So now you've posted his name, address, and phone number on this forum.

Maybe you should be talking to him.

Possibly you might be starting to freak him out, if he sees this.

Just thinkin out loud,,,
30 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #17
jimalabam

Lotta excellent info in the above posts. My best to add is BUYER BEWARE...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #18
V4F

if you had the "wanted" on Craig's list , I would run the other way .
Old 06-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #19
Slowplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 tudor View Post
so possibly he just happened to see your ad and was trying to sell you some parts. So now you've posted his name, address, and phone number on this forum.

Maybe you should be talking to him.

Possibly you might be starting to freak him out, if he sees this.

Just thinkin out loud,,,

x2...
Old 06-19-2017, 10:11 PM   #20
Railcarmover
BANNED

Millbrae is a nice part of the Bay Area..Regardless if you think its a scam or not,posting his full contact info on the internet without his permission is a rotten thing to do...if you dont want to do business with him dont,but dont bandy his name and address around cause you THINK he might be fishy.
Use paypal to pay for the parts,they have a dispute policy that protects you.I just sold an entire car with emailed pictures and took payment over paypal..the transport showed and the 57 Oval Vw was gone..cash in hand. Ive never been burned buying parts from strangers over the internet..most,if not all are guys like you and me...you'd have to be a pretty unique (and stupid) criminal to hustle someone over some car parts.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote