Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
wingski

Default leaking fuel guage

Just woke up after returning from our club’s (Henry’s Lady-Grants Pass, Oregon) first meeting of 2018 and meal at the golf course clubhouse. Wonderful meeting, fabulous meal. I ate too much and passed out as soon as we got home. We are having a beautiful, warm day and here I go and sleep away two hours of the afternoon, But man did I need that rest.

Anyway, back to removing the instrument panel. When I was working on the car’s distributor yesterday, I smelled gas, but it wasn’t coming from the engine compartment. It was coming from around the fuel gauge, and it was leaking like mad. For that thing to start leaking like that means a bad gasket. I asked some of my club’s members about it, and they said for a short time neoprene gaskets were sold. Unleaded gas and neoprene gaskets are a big No No. So, I have to assume that is what’s causing the problem.

I drained out enough gas so it’s no longer leaking, but I thought I’d ask you guys for advice before taking off the instrument panel

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Ian in Mississauga

Default Re: leaking fuel guage

Disconnect the battery!
Ian in Mississauga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #3
jw hash

DO NOT use them dang nab bit neoprene gaskets they WILL turn to s--t using the crap gas that is out there. use cork only, I put a thin coat of Indian shellac on the tank opening install the gasket and put a thin coat on the gasket. then install the gauge, I have NOT had one fail yet.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
Bill G

Once you have the gas drained to the point where it is no longer high enough to leak, you can go at the gas gauge. Just to be safe, I would drain out all the gas, but in reality, you need to at least get it well below the opening for the gauge where it comes through the opening.

Disconnect the battery so you don't get any sparks because the wires are otherwise live.

Remove the chrome dash panel and then you can get to the gauge. It would also help to disconnect all the wires and the speedo cable so that you can set the dash panel aside and not have to work around it. Make sure to take a picture of it with your cell phone or make good notes so you can connect it all back up again when you are done.

Others have talked about the process of removing the gauge and I sent you a PM with a link to a page that has information on that. I have never done a gas gauge, so I can't help you with that.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #5
henry's 31

Use cork only and follow instructions in Les Andrew's book and you will not have a problem.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
JDupuis

Glad to see you joined a club Mike. Jeff
Old 01-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
barnstuf

The best gasket set is the cork gaskets with one or two thin brass slip washers.

In Snyder's catalog they are A-9331.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote