Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
mshmodela

Default 3rd Brake light

My Wife got my Mistress the following for my birthday and was wondering any thoughts on anyone who has installed them etc.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/4778

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: 3rd Brake light

did you see the insructions
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/up...4612-10329.pdf
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Kevin Johns

I did this to my coupe and couldn't be happier. Now a clear bright red light is visible. Easy to install too. Just a couple of minutes and a little dirt on you back from the shop floor and good to go. Highly recommend in today's world. Love it or hate it, things have changed and no one is looking out for one dim tail light.
Kevin Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
mshmodela

Mitch and Kevin,

Thanks, yeah saw the instructions, electrically a no-brainer but as for the wire run I'm was wondering since from just popping a whole if there might he an existing hole etc. that a Tudor might have.... As for being "seen" yes an all black car with 6v dim light for brake light is well not so cool....

Cleveland, Ohio
Old 08-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Lona

I installed one in the back window of our '31 Chrysler sedan and it works well and is very bright even in daylight. On our '31 A roadster, there was no window to install it on so I elected to use replacement lenses and LED lights from Snyders in both tail lights. They also are very bright and look completely stock.

If I had another Model A coupe or sedan, I would install the replacement lenses and LED's because they are brighter than the 3rd tail lights in the rear window. IMO, they are also better because modern motorists following you are accustomed to and expect braking and directional signals to come from tail lights and not from a 12" light in the rear window.

I have both types and feel having two rear tail lights with upgraded LED's is better and safer than the 12" horizontal bar in the rear window. However, since your "mistress" has been gifted the 3rd tail light, by all means install it. It will be far better than the stock A lights and you will have a safer car to drive. Better yet, install both systems for the ultimate visibility and safety.
I installed the 3rd brake light on the Chrysler some time ago along with directionals which were already mounted on the car and had some difficulty making them work. Had to install resistors in each tail light wire to get them to work properly. As I recall, the instructions at that time did not mention the need for resistors when using the light with 6 V directional signals. I bought the light direct from the manufacturer and had a few phone calls with the owner regarding required wiring and resistors before we could get them working. Hope the current directions are more up to date and you hit no roadblocks in your installation. After you are done with the installation, you will be pleased with the results.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
insomniacshotrods

Might want to rethink that whole no brainer thing. Ive rewired a few cars and when I went to wire up the turn signals and the buzzer and the third brake light with working indicators, the whole positive ground thing had me scratching my head a couple times ha. I went behind the rear seat with extended wires to drivers side along the bottom of the rear seat out along the floor rail hidden under the floor mat . Up to the wooden floor and made a notch to run to the other wires. Im using 21 watt brake light bulbs as well, 10 watt running lights.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
CarlG

I'm using LED tail lights/turn signals as well as a 3rd brake light and have had zero problems. The 3rd BL is fastened to the wooden sideboards just beneath the back window.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 08-09-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
bobv

I have installed 3 of those. They are very nice.
bobv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
Mike

I have installed over 15 of them ! I also install l.e.d. tail light assemblies when installing a 3rd brake light.
mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
mshmodela

My Plan is to later install the LED tail lights but figure this is needed more... since folks look for the 3rd light...

Cleveland, Ohio
Old 08-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
Mike

MSHMODELA,
I recomend turn signals from Brattons auto parts ! they have a nice bracket and switch for the signals,

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
Bruce Adams

I love my third brake light as well as my all red LED tail and brake lights. My third brake light is installed on top of my upright luggage carrier, and able to be rotated when the trunk is on with the rack down, so it faces aft even when down.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:56 AM   #13
nickair

Was going to get one of these LED rear window brake lights, wife wants me to.

I am thinking of just changing the tail light/s to LED, bright. Seems the window unit would light up the cabin at night.

Anyone tried these at night?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
L.D.

I have 40 horses in the garage.
Only feed them when I want to take them out.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
Lona

The LED third brake light in our sedan does not illuminate the car interior at night. LED's are rather directional anyway and with the light bar mounted to the inside of the rear window with suction cups, the light is not reflected back into the car.

The stock A tail light, or two if you have them, are dangerous during the day or the night as they are hard to see. They are at their worst during the day when the sun is behind you. While I recommend the LED replacement units which fit into the stock tail lights as noted in my above post, installing either them or the 3rd brake light bar will be a vast improvement over Henry's stock configuration.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
OL JENNY

Many of the 12volt led 3rd brake lights are now using the flashers that flash rapidly when the brake is first applied and then stays on. These do get your attention quicker. Unfortunately I have not found any for 6 volt, or the flasher unit to insert in my already installed 6volt 3rd brake light.
OL JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #16
Tom Endy

I have both the third brake light in the back window and LED tail and brake lights. Both tail\brake lights are from Bratton's and they are the type where the entire lens is the LED assembly. In fact the entire assembly including the housing is sold as a unit, part number 18982 and 18992. Both tail and brake lights are extremely bright. I also installed Bratton's turn signal kit part number 18730. The third brake light that was previously installed was easily re-wired to separate left from right. When the brakes are applied the whole third light illuminates, when the turn signals are turned on only half of it flashes.

The turn signals utilize the cowl lights for the front flashers. With LED brake lights there is little current draw and not enough current draw from the original cowl lights to operate the flasher. In this situation you have to replace the original cowl light bulbs with brighter ones that draw enough current to operate the flasher.

My car is 6-voly positive ground. All these additions were pricy, but it adds much more increased driving safety.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #17
mshmodela

Well got around to installing this light... Used a soldering iron on my joints... it looks very nice and the light is BRIGHT

Cleveland, Ohio