Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Mark from Australia

Default AR drums

I have just purchased what I believe is a rolling AR frame, to which I will fit my 28 coupe body.

Due to the cost of buying new tires to fit the original wheel, I was wanting to swicth to a set of 16" early ford wheels. The model A expert friends I have now tell me I cannot run anything else but the AR wheels on these brake drums.

Is there any adapter kit out there that will alloow me to run 1940-type rims on my car?

Thanks in advance.

Mark from Australia
Mark from Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Tudortomnz

Default Re: AR drums

Just my opinion, but if you are to keep the coupe as an August '28 [Canada] or earlier, you will have to find a good set of tyres & keep with the early type wheels. If that is not the plan, change to later drums [ probably the new cast iron ones] & you can put the later V8 wheels on. Will not be cheap whatever.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
Mark from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Will not be cheap whatever.
Thats why I was wanting to run some adapters if possible. 16" light truck tires are 1/3 the price of tires to suit the original wheels, and I have a set of early ford rims.

I know its may not be what everyone wants to hear, but I'm not a stickler for being 100% authentic.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
pooch

That was a good buy I thought from ebay.

I had been watching it.

Probably best to change to the later drums with the separate handbrake.

AR/s have nothing at all if anything goes wrong with the ONLY braking system they have.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
kenparker

AR Drums do not fit A Wheels and viceversa A Drums will not fit AR Wheels. The studs fit, but, they do not seat correctly. I think I have pictues tht can show this, will try to find them later.

I just finished installing new AR Drums on my AR pickup. She had AR steel - worn out Drums on her originally. Yes, I am using AR wheels. The new AR Drums are not machined correctly and I had to do lots of remachineing to get them to match my AR wheels. If I had it to do over I would switch to standard A Wheels and Drums.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Mark from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
AR Drums do not fit A Wheels and viceversa A Drums will not fit AR Wheels. The studs fit, but, they do not seat correctly. I think I have pictues tht can show this, will try to find them later.

I just finished installing new AR Drums on my AR pickup. She had AR steel - worn out Drums on her originally. Yes, I am using AR wheels. The new AR Drums are not machined correctly and I had to do lots of remachineing to get them to match my AR wheels. If I had it to do over I would switch to standard A Wheels and Drums.
Thanks Ken,
I'm new to this area of model A's, so any help is much appreciated.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Jim Parker Toronto

I have made up a 3/16" spacer so I can run "AR" wheels with the later drums. I did this so I could use the wheels, (just Powdercoated) and tires I had instead of looking for more. The spacer is about 1/2"wide and just sits where the wheel meets the drum. I had them cut on a CNC guided torch. 5000 miles and no problems yet! Jim
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
I have made up a 3/16" spacer so I can run "AR" wheels with the later drums. I did this so I could use the wheels, (just Powdercoated) and tires I had instead of looking for more. The spacer is about 1/2"wide and just sits where the wheel meets the drum. I had them cut on a CNC guided torch. 5000 miles and no problems yet! Jim
To fit later wheels to early drums you would have to fit a spacer around the studs where the wheel hub meats the drum. This is the opposite way that you've done, late wheels on early drums instead of early wheels on late drums.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:05 AM   #9
Mark from Australia

Jim, Dave, thanks for your input, anyone else have experience with this conversion?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Australia View Post
Thats why I was wanting to run some adapters if possible. 16" light truck tires are 1/3 the price of tires to suit the original wheels, and I have a set of early ford rims.

I know its may not be what everyone wants to hear, but I'm not a stickler for being 100% authentic.
WOW 1/3 the price! Here in the states the 21" tires are about $90 each. 16" light truck tires would have to be $30 here.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
Mark from Australia

Mike, tires to suit Model A wheel are around $300 each here, as they are all imported. My local tires dealer sells 195r16" tires for $95, for the front. and I have good 760r16's for the rear already.

so you can see why I ask the questions.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
Manuel

Most things in the States are half price to Oz and NZ, eg petrol, food, new cars & parts etc.
If u go there and buy all the bits u need and post them home your self u can still save.

Manuel in Oz
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
pooch

Yeh we get ripped off big time here.

Luckily tho, we do not have the hand out for tips mentality, but some still try us on.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote