Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
pgerhardt

Default LED Tail Light Saga Part 2

When we last left this story I had decided to simplify my life and instead of worrying about diodes and directing the flow of electricity I would just install separate rear turn signal lights like I had in the front. This would completely separate the turn signal circuits from the regular wiring harness.

I ordered a pair from Snyder's, along with the extra wire and brass male bullet connectors I would need for the job. BTW FYI the Snyder LED turn signal lights attach to the bumper clamp bolt, show between the two bumper bars, and have built in resistors so they will work with your flashers - NICE. (picture 1) However that do not come with bullet connectors preinstalled so be prepared to solder them on before you head out to install them (picture 2)

So today was install day. The regular harness connections were done first. Simple! First, the Black wire from the harness (running lights) to black wires (lower lights) on the tail lights. Test: Lower tail lights come on with the Headlights, and the license plate is lit. Yea! Second, the green harness wire (brake) is connected the green tail light wires (upper lights). Test: NOTHING - NO BRAKE LIGHTS!

So now my over arching super rule of everything rears it's ugly head: IT IS NEVER EASY!!!!"

Now I got to trace back the green harness wire to see what is going on. I did. I discovered that the -expletive deleted- previous owner had disconnected the green wire from the brake switch when he found the brake circuit was being completed by the third brake light he had installed. I reconnected the green wire and the tail lights then functioned correctly for brake & running lights.

After that connecting the turn signal lights was uneventful. I now have working separate rear turn signals, and tail lights.

Tip: Ratchet strap the bumper to the rear axle to prevent the bumper springing backward and firing the nut out the front of your garage when it the last thread lets go! (picture 3)

Moral: Never get over confident, think you have it all figured out, and head out to the garage thinking, "This will be an easy 20 minute job." That is when the "super rule" will rise up and bite you in the -expletive deleted-!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 9.17.33 PM.jpg (53.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 9.17.49 PM.jpg (34.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 9.16.59 PM.jpg (27.8 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by pgerhardt; 08-30-2018 at 08:32 PM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: LED Tail Light Saga Part 2

I wonder if something with your bumper or the bumper brace is sprung. I only know mine but there is no tension in the bumper mounts. That being said, I have *plenty* of other misfits going on, so nothing's perfect.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote