Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #21
denis4x4

Default Re: Boy am I glad I am into model A's!

Ron Pratt sold his collection through BJ several years ago. When he sold his construction company, he got about a kazillion dollars and has been very generous in his support of charities for wounded vets.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #22
Dr. OldKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Dr. Oldkat nailed it! The over all dollar total of the Arizona auctions last week was down compared to 2017. I suspect that a couple of collectors convinced themselves that they needed an A in their collection and compared to a COPO Camero, the price of an A was chicken feed.
I noticed that, too, denis4x4. In fact, that is the real reason I have zero desire to take on a restoration of my own. (Getting "chicken feed" prices on an expensive effort) Maybe it is my heritage, but I'm not wild about taking on any project where I have so little chance of recouping my investment.

I guess I should just shut up about it and be thankful that there are people that WILL restore these things and then sell them knowing they are going to take one in the shorts.

Still, doesn't feel right to me. That is why I always ask prospective sellers what all they have done to the car. Besides wanting to know from a usability standpoint, I try to figure out how much they have in the deal. I have refrained from making an offer more than once, because I know a realistic selling price might be seen as a lowball bid. I'm not out to offend anyone.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:18 PM   #23
holdover

I have been a car guy all my life and I really enjoy restoring vehicles and in the past both driving and selling them, for the past 20 years or so I did '65-68 Mustangs, mostly fastbacks. Having had them all my life I found enjoyment working on them, and I never lost money on one, for the most part they funded my Model A collection. I like the muscle cars, but I have always seemed to like Model As more going back to the mid 60s. My grand kids (6 & 10) grew up around classic Mustangs and late model ones as well, but they really like the Model A better, so much so that one claims my coupe and the other my pickup.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:20 AM   #24
Dr. OldKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
I have been a car guy all my life and I really enjoy restoring vehicles and in the past both driving and selling them, for the past 20 years or so I did '65-68 Mustangs, mostly fastbacks. Having had them all my life I found enjoyment working on them, and I never lost money on one, for the most part they funded my Model A collection. I like the muscle cars, but I have always seemed to like Model As more going back to the mid 60s. My grand kids (6 & 10) grew up around classic Mustangs and late model ones as well, but they really like the Model A better, so much so that one claims my coupe and the other my pickup.
This is an encouraging post. Especially the part about the grand kids liking your A's.

My own grandson is only 14 months old, so it is a way too early to tell if he will take to them or not. Though my D-I-L claims that that he really likes to watch the cars in the driveway at the daycare as they pull up to pickup the other little ones. I take that as a good sign. Maybe he is going be car guy, too. Hopefully an A guy.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #25
CapeCod_28A

I'm in my early 40's and just inherited a Model A and Model T. My father has owned these cars forever and while I've always enjoyed going for rides in them, I never took a hard initiative to show interest in them while my father was alive. Since he's past away I've been trying my best to learn and have just started taking drives around the block with the Model A.

Last month when I was in FL with the car, my 16 year old nephew was going for a ride with me and I pulled over and told him to drive. He was petrified and at first was saying "no way!". I understood where he was coming from and this is probably why I never wanted to dive it when my dad was around. I told him that I knew nothing about the car and that I was just as likely to mess something up or crash it myself. Well, he jumped behind the wheel and his eyes and smile lit up.

I've sent the Model T to his house and told him that I would help him with anything he needs for the car, but he'd have to learn the in's and out's of it. At this point he's excited but again he's still very young so we'll see where it goes.
CapeCod_28A is offline   Reply With Quote