Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
gearheadbill

Default 1934 picku cab wood and seat

I thought that resurrecting this thread might be better than me starting a new one. Lots of good info already posted here.

I posted this on another older thread but not getting any traction, so I'm starting a new thread.

My 34 has some original, some reproduction and a lot of poorly homemade cobble-up and I have no idea what the original should be like. I have a good friend who has a mostly original 32 pickup but the info I gleaned so far leads me to believe that the 2 model years were very different from the factory.

My seat cushions are both new...new springs, new wood, new fabric. I am assuming that they are correct for 1934. Bottom cushion has a tag (pic). But there are NO brackets or whatever to hold the back in place. Unclebucks has 'S' shaped sheetmetal brackets which are screwed to the seat back at the top and to the cab wood. The frame of my backrest cushion has no wood to attach such a bracket.

Also, is there another bracket(s) to hold the lower part of the backrest in place?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabwood1.jpg (50.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg cabwood2.jpg (47.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg cabwood3.jpg (47.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg cabwood4.jpg (45.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg seat2.jpg (14.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg seat3.jpg (37.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg seat4.jpg (37.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg seat5.jpg (30.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg seat6.jpg (43.6 KB, 47 views)
gearheadbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #2
rbullockv8

Default Re: 1934 picku cab wood and seat

As you said, I'm sure '32s are quite different. But I thought I'd upload a couple of pics of my Open Cab '32 pickup that shows the rear wood slats. I don't know if Closed Cab 32s are the same.

My three slats are full length, and each has a pointed bracket down low that catches the rear edge of the backrest wire frame. It looks like your middle slat has 2 holes in it, but can't quite tell. I believe the top of my backrest is supposed to have the fabric (vinyl) stretched and tacked to the wood frame around the rear of the cab. In other words, once in place it's not removable.

My original and replacement springs for both seat and backrest were a match. No wood frame on the backrest--just the wire frame.

Not sure this helps, but maybe provides a little more knowledge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4032.jpg (37.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4033.jpg (30.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
Krylon32

I get my wood from Brads Wood Shop. 360-317-5723. He did the wood for my 32 pu and it fit perfect. The wood for the 34 is different because of the added body bead around the back. 32 and 33 wood is basically the same. Brad usually spends the winter somewhere south where it's warm and returns north to his shop in the spring. I did get wood for one of my 32 pickups from Mac Hills in MO and some of the holes in the wood did not line up with the holes in the body.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
34pickup

On my 34, there are some metal attachments screwed to the wood in the back of the cab, just like rbullocks'. You slide the back seat cushion down over these catches and it retains the seat back. The bottom cushion is only retained by the two protruding bumps at the corner of the seat mounting pedestal which go up into holes drilled into the bottom cushion wood frame. You slide the bottom cushion under the back cushion and secure the bottom into the two spring loaded bumps on the seat frame. Probably not the safest way to mount a seat, but thats the way mine came and it was pretty original when I got it.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
Byron Warwick

I don't have my truck at home.
The wood pieces in the cab do have the V-shaped holders for the bottom of the seat back. Also there is a metal strap that projects above the top of the seat back. I don't know if it attached to wood on the seat back or metal. It is about 3/4" wide and 2" above the back. One screw goes into the wood in the cab, and keeps it in place. The frame on my seat bottom is metal.
Hope this helps, Byron.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
pokey

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Interesting. I just found out yesterday that my 34 pickup (verified by correct serial number on frame) has a 32 (or 33) cab based on the seat back wood in the cab that goes all the way to the floor. The bumps on the front of the metal seat bottom frame are not spring loaded in my truck. Instead they are supported inside the metal frame with wooden dowels. Maybe the springs broke and the dowels were a quick fix?

This is a great discussion since I am just getting started working on my Grandfather's 34 pickup I inherited 25 years ago. Thanks for all the great information.

Cheers, Jim
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
DavidG

Has to be a '33 cab as there is no separate "metal seat bottom frame" in a '32 cab as the bottom cushions (two separate ones) fit on top of the fuel tank. Also, the odds are very high that your firewall is not detachable from the rest of cab, unlike in a '32 cab.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:05 AM   #8
34p-kup

GearheadBill, it appears the shortest uprights have been cut off. There should be a rectangle hole with a tab in floor. That tab has a hole in it to screw to the bottom of wood. rbullockv8 shows the correct pointed brackets although his is RPU. It seems rather barbaric to stick those pointed brackets through the upholstery. At the top of seat back were a formed metal loop that screwed to wood (next to window) after skewering on pointed brackets. I think I see stripped out holes in your wood.
34p-kup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
pokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Has to be a '33 cab as there is no separate "metal seat bottom frame" in a '32 cab as the bottom cushions (two separate ones) fit on top of the fuel tank. Also, the odds are very high that your firewall is not detachable from the rest of cab, unlike in a '32 cab.
DavidG, I hope you all don't mind me chiming in on this thread. It is very relevant to me since I am trying to identify the parts on my 34 ford pickup. I know the frame is a 34 because the frame serial number/VIN number indicates this. Based on what you have described it sounds like the cab is a 33 since the wooden seat back supports go into holes in the cab floor, and there is a metal frame on the floor of the cab that supports the seat bottom. I tried to attach a photo but am having a terrible time with the internet right now. Based on my description do you think I have a a 33 cab?

Thanks a bunch, this is very helpful.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #10
DavidG

If the firewall isn't removable because its spot welded in place and the back of the cab has two stamped-in horizontal moldings like in the photo below, it's a '33. If it has three stamped-in horizontal belt moldings in the back, it's a '34. (That is not to say your cab has been changed as the transition from the '33 model year to the '34 model year was blurred and it would not be remarkable that a early '34 pickup was built with what is thought of as a '33 cab.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180303_153057.jpg (34.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
pokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
If the firewall isn't removable because its spot welded in place and the back of the cab has two stamped-in horizontal moldings like in the photo below, it's a '33. If it has three stamped-in horizontal belt moldings in the back, it's a '34. (That is not to say your cab has been changed as the transition from the '33 model year to the '34 model year was blurred and it would not be remarkable that a early '34 pickup was built with what is thought of as a '33 cab.)
Here is a pic of the back of the cab and the inside firewall. That looks like a 3rd belt molding on the back where the carriage bolts are, and there are screws (some missing) on the lower firewall, so is this a 34 cab?

20190122_132707s.jpg

20190122_132801s.jpgThanks so much for your help on this.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #12
DavidG

Nope, two moldings, not three. It's what would normally be thought of as a '33 cab. See the photos in the opening of this thread. While taken inside, you can count three indentations. If you had those three they would show up very prominently on the corners of the cab.

Last edited by DavidG; 01-23-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
pokey

Thanks DavidG. I really appreciate your patience and expertise!