Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #1
corsair_kid1979

Default Body Cart for Tudor Body

I need to build a body cart for my 1929 Ford Tudor body and I need advice on the dimensions. I am using 2x4 and 4x4 for the frame, but not sure how big I should make it. Anyone lend some advice on a good size for a body cart.
corsair_kid1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
denniskliesen

Default Re: Body Cart for Tudor Body

I used 2x6 for the frame with 2x4 for the uprights. Also triangle gussets in the corners to hold the 2x4 uprights. Also I made my uprights 2 different lengths so I could work underneath and on top comfortably. The casters I bought at harbor freight. Not sure if you have them up there in Alberta. I think 4x4 might be over doing it, the bare body doesn’t weigh much when it’s been gutted of the glass interior and doors. I’ll try and get dimensions and pictures later. Mine is in pieces since I need to find a place to store it or chuck it if nobody needs it.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:41 PM   #3
Brubaker

I have what I've planned to use as a body stand that is 6'x6'x40", but it may be better suited for, or as, a spot to place the body while the chassis is being worked on. Caster wheels plus a lower 'shelf' are handy, but again maybe not ergonomic in terms of it's size. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stand-1.jpg (40.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg stand-2.jpg (37.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg stand-3.jpg (51.2 KB, 40 views)
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
desotoguy

I suggest that you use steel wheel casters on your cart, rubber or hard plastic has a tendency to flat spot after a while with a load on them, making it difficult to move.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #5
Oldbluoval

There are downsides on all casters
What I’ve found with steel wheels is that something the size (or less) of. BB will hand them up
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
Big hammer

I used 2x12 for sides and front rear vertical 2x2 in the corners, 3/4 4x6 plywood on top of the frame, 8 in casters, triangle 3/4 plywood in the corners. The flat top was great work space, body screwed down to the top, I could sit inside and work. When I needed to haul the body, I could roll it up some 8ft ramps into a 8ft bed in my truck. Have fun !
Old 09-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Licensed to kill

I built one when i did the wife '28 tudor. I built it out of 2X6. However, I am building a new one for my delivery. I am using a frame that I got from a friend. Add a cross member and cut it off at the cowl, add legs and castors. Thinking of making the legs adjustable for height so I can lift or lower the body pending what part I am working on. The reason I am not using the wood cart that I made previous is that the delivery is basically all wood with a tin skin and i want to ensure that all the body bolts still line up when I put it back on the chassis. Building it ON a model A frame should ensure this. I got the idea of using a model A frame from Brent Terry. The tricky part was finding a frame that was good enough to use but NOT good enough to be used on a car. I can't bring myself to cutting up something that is still useable.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:34 AM   #8
GPierce

Body cart for CCPU cab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BCBDE73D-730A-4E95-92D1-8E39B2BFC012.jpg (57.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg D95C9BAD-34F7-46D1-A923-1124AB3674BE.jpg (44.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 055A62B8-3DC6-4A6D-9561-EBBBC927A4EB.jpg (56.3 KB, 28 views)
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:21 AM   #9
denniskliesen

Here’s my body cart, cheap and simple easy to make. Swivel casters 4” from HF. never had a bit of trouble moving around. I located the legs in the rear where the body mounts are, up front just behind the cowl so I could remove the tank and cowell. Later I lifted the body and put longer 2x4’s that were tapered at the top. I put 2x4 loose across the 2x6 to sit in or a sheet of plywood to get comfortable working on stripping rust from underneath. I painted underneath and then lowered to do the upper and inside.

Tried uploading pictures and having problems. Keep getting a message they could not find a security token. I’ll try later. I’d like to mention I also made a cart for my frame. I used to 2 rear mounting holes and the radiator mount holes. On those I drilled a hole to drop a long bolt down in the stud. For the legs I made them 48” high to make working on the cart comfortable. For the casters I robbed a set off a HARBOR freight moving cart, $8 for casters and it rolled around very easily. Everything was done in my garage, and I didn’t have to haul anything out to have work done. No help, all of the work done by myself. Good luck with your Tudor.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote