Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2020, 11:09 PM   #1
donthekawguy

Default New guy in North Idaho

Hey everyone thanks for the add. I picked up a 31 A truck a few weeks ago and look forward to getting it running and driving. This is the first really old vehicle I have owned so it will be a learning experience for sure. I got a pretty good deal on it but slowly I'm finding out why. It hasn't been run in a couple years and needs some wring finished and a bed. I slid under it yesterday in an attempt to lube it and discovered a bunch of bolts missing and little things. It's ok because my grand daughter loves it and wants to go for a cruise this summer in CDA Idaho at the big show called Car D'Lane June 19th so I better get to work. Heres some pics of the truck I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00b0b_kuszSm16pky_600x450.jpg (39.3 KB, 137 views)
donthekawguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:12 AM   #2
michael a

Default Re: New guy in North Idaho

Nice truck. Get that grandbaby under there helping you. That will be some quality time she and for that matter you will never forget . But the best thing is it keeps grandma home washing clothes instead of spending parts money on video games or cell phones.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Start by investing in some Model A books and join the local Model A Club in the area, I think the club in Spokane is the closest to you. It is a MAFCA Chapter...That is Model A Ford Club of America.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:43 AM   #4
donthekawguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Start by investing in some Model A books and join the local Model A Club in the area, I think the club in Spokane is the closest to you. It is a MAFCA Chapter...That is Model A Ford Club of America.

Pluck
Yeah the books will definitely help. Not a lot of info on youtube or anywhere else I can find. I'm going to try to get it running this weekend then put the rear brakes together. All the parts were included but I cant find any info so I'll have to wait for the book to get here. I'll get ahold of the club in Spokane and show up for a meeting if time allows.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:08 AM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthekawguy View Post
Yeah the books will definitely help. Not a lot of info on youtube or anywhere else I can find. I'm going to try to get it running this weekend then put the rear brakes together. All the parts were included but I cant find any info so I'll have to wait for the book to get here. I'll get ahold of the club in Spokane and show up for a meeting if time allows.
Youtube isn't going to tell you much.

Not positive but I think it is the 3rd Monday or the month...could be wrong.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
Sunnybrook Farm

Take lots of photos of everything before you take things apart. It will give you something to look at when putting things back together and will make a neat book or web site when you have it back on the road. You will probably need to clean out the fuel system as that seems to be the biggest problem after they sit a while. There is lots of electrical info on the site and youtube, it may just be a small issue.

I am building one from parts to use off road, guess I like a challenge.

https://sites.google.com/d/1v64GNI3E...tgo7LoKDO/edit
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
Ed in Maine

You will have lots of fun with that truck. I just bought a 31 Victoria and I am finding all kinds of bolts that were inserted but it was too much trouble to put on the lock washer or cotter pin and nut! Your goal is to make it safe, make it reliable, enjoy the hobby, make new friends and go out to eat. Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #8
donthekawguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrook Farm View Post
Take lots of photos of everything before you take things apart. It will give you something to look at when putting things back together and will make a neat book or web site when you have it back on the road. You will probably need to clean out the fuel system as that seems to be the biggest problem after they sit a while. There is lots of electrical info on the site and youtube, it may just be a small issue.

I am building one from parts to use off road, guess I like a challenge.

https://sites.google.com/d/1v64GNI3E...tgo7LoKDO/edit
I think the guy was trying to install turn signals. There is a cancel thing attached to the steering column. Not sure if I'm going to use that yet or not. I'm waiting on some parts before I hook up the battery and give it a crank. Probably next week. The PO said that when they parked it they ran it dry so I'm hoping it clean in the tank and carb. The people I got it from are pretty well known around this area for their cars and they have no reason to be untruthful so it should be an easy start up.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #9
whirnot

Les Andrews red book is invaluable for the new model A Guy.
I highly recommend Berts Model A for parts, books and info. They have been there for 40 years and do nothing but Model As.
I believe it is Modelastore.com. If not just Google Berts Model A.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote