Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #21
gustafson
BANNED

Default Re: Is it a bad time to sell?

Many of the pix are kinda dark. The ad says it is RHD but it appears to be LHD. agree w/above
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #22
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
I guess I could pull up the front seat to expose the Robertson screws and take a picture, but is that even important? I really don’t know if it is or not. After all the trouble I went through to get that car titled in Oregon, I guess I tried to forget all that.

About me living in the Northwest, I would think that with SKPE and all the other ways for a potential buyer to ask questions about the car and then be able to see immediately what they asked about on their phone or computer screen would be most satisfactory. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what I’d do. Then, if I was truly interested in the car, I go see it or have someone who knows what to look for go see it for me.

I’m not selling a coupe, tudor, fordor, or roadster. I’m selling a car that is so much rarer than any of those cars are. They are all neat cars, but mine is one of the first convertibles ever made by Ford, and it is strange, weird, and unique, and it runs and drives great. For all I know, it might be one of the first ’29 cabriolets in Canada.

I’m only selling this car because I’ve discovered the hard way that I can no longer drive an old car like this for any long distance. I’ve gotten to the point where driving 100 miles in an antique car is too much for me. Arthritis sucks. It is about 150 miles round-trip to the beach and back, and I’ve made up my mind that I’m going to get something that at least looks like an A in which I can make that drive.

Mike
There were 670 1929 Model A Cabriolet's for which Ford of Canada assembled (if it is a Canadian car). 83 went to Export plus 10 from Ford Detroit; and 587 staied in Canada. If it is a true Canadian car...It is very interesting to know that Canada also stamped their gas tanks. Did not know that. So IF it is a July 1929 built car in Canada...then Walkerville only turned out 194 that month.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #23
WHN

I agree that there are a lot of Model A Ford’s out there.

But! Most have gone through many owners, have had poor maintenance, have had non stock/after market jewelry added that serves very little purpose, are a combination of many different cars, basically garage tinker toys.

If you are selling a stock, two or three owner, not overly restored, professionally maintained/correctly maintained car. “That is well priced”. It will sell.

Just read on this forum all the NEW to the hobby owners that are saying “hello guys I’m here”.

High priced over restored cars, poorly maintained cars, cars out in the middle of nowhere, are going to take some work to UNLOAD.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #24
wingski

My car has 7-22-29 stamped on the gas tank.

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #25
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
Many of the pix are kinda dark. The ad says it is RHD but it appears to be LHD. agree w/above
I must have missed where it says RHD? I see RWD but not RHD...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #26
F.M.
BANNED

Ok, We know its not a "rare" car, Now look @ wrong color $$, Wrong wheels, tires, hubcaps (4) $$$.. Maintenance ?? Top grease fitting missing out of spring hanger.. Spring lower eyelet looks very close to the Axle ?? .. What else up close ??..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #27
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
If you look at the chart in this link you will see that there are quite a few
cars that are rarer than the Cabriolet. http://www.mafca.com/data_production.html

Bob
There's no 160-B on that list, not sure if I'm happy or sad about that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hqdefault (1).jpg (17.6 KB, 6 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #28
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
There's no 160-B on that list, not sure if I'm happy or sad about that.
Here are two pdf files, Body Numbers by Dennis Smith, and a sorted file of 68A, B, C and 160A, 160B, and 160C production numbers I put together from Dennis Smiths data.

The files have numbers for the production of the 68A, 1930 68B, 1931 68B, 68C.

The 160B production numbers are included in with the numbers for the 155C (31).

Here is the link to Dennis Smiths data file on the MAFCA web site.

http://www.mafca.com/downloads/Techn...dy_Numbers.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Body_Numbers Dennis Smith [email protected] (50.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf BODY TAG DATA SHEET sorted dlb 6-2-2012.pdf (486.5 KB, 15 views)

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #29
eagle

winski, I hope you have thick skin. Model A'ers LOVE to degrade every car that comes up for sale, except their own! To most, the car for sale isn't worth anything, their own is priceless. Looks to me like you have a very nice car and are asking a reasonable price. If you want to unload it in a hurry, drop a few thousand. If you want to wait it out, add a few thousand and you may get lucky.

Last edited by eagle; 04-08-2018 at 04:26 PM.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #30
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
My car has 7-22-29 stamped on the gas tank.

Mike
Mike, you have a nice car at a fair price. Put ads on MAFCA, MARC and Hemmings and it will sell sooner or later.

Cabriolets that are 100% correct and in mint condition sell for $25K+ so I think the asking price for this car is fair.

Many people here want cars at giveaway prices except when they're the seller

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #31
29er

What's the jar of red stuff hanging off the firewall? Just curious!
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #32
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
What's the jar of red stuff hanging off the firewall? Just curious!
Marvel Mystery Oil... Mike has a Ampco MMO "injector".

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-08-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Add verbiage...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #33
29er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Marvel Mystery Oil... Mike has a Ampco MMO "injector".
Aha! Thanks... didn't know such a thing existed! Here's more:

http://www.ampcolubes.com/
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #34
mrtexas

Model A market is very slow no matter how original or modified. Many of the guys that like them are old and dying in their 80s and 90s. I sold two freshly restored and as original as possible and it took forever 6+ months. I priced them as you did $5k+ below the asking price of any of the same model out there. My 28 RPU AR with fresh restoration was priced cheap and the guy that bought it insisted on offering less as well. At least it is gone!

Never did join a local club. I took a picture of my car to a meeting and all I got was what was wrong with it like many of the comments in this post.

Last edited by mrtexas; 04-09-2018 at 08:53 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #35
denis4x4

If I was new to the hobby and looking to buy an A, the negativity here would cause me to have second thoughts. I suspect that anyone looking to buy a "correct" A would be pretty knowledgeable going in and would ignore the posts here. On the other hand, a first time buyer could very well be intimidated by the "expert" opinions posted here.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #36
WHN

I keep hearing the same thing, that buyers or owners are old, that no one wants these cars, that they take forever to sell if they even sell at all.

Well I will say again that there is a good market for Model A Ford’s.

After reading comments on this forum, I think the biggest problem is some owners are just cheap.

They think that their cars are restored because they have cleaned and painted old worn out parts, they think adding stone guards and side mounts or trunks really increases the value, or how about adding some speed equipment, that will really drive up the price. Maybe taking those old worn out springs apart, grinding them down and repainting them, now my car has “new” springs?

If your Ford Dealer today worked like that, what would you say?

Realize what your selling, spend some money to advertise it properly, take plenty of pictures, and be honest with your self and the buyer.

For an example. There are a lot of Model T’s out there, the junk is junk, the good ones are still in demand. The same holds true for our Model A’s. There really is a lot of junk out there. Some of that junk is in over priced over restored cars. Some of it is in just plan JUNK.

Its just a hobby, these cars are hopefully not part of your 401K’s.

I think you can sell a well maintained 20 footer all day long in the $14,000.00 to $17,000.00 range.

How many of us really own a well maintained car?

That’s my soap box comments on a car that I have enjoyed for 60 years. Sorry if I have angered anyone.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #37
wingski

To all of you who haven’t knocked or belittled my car, Thank you very much.

If I would have verbally knocked and pointed out all the defects to the owners of cars I’ve bought in the past, I’m sure I wouldn’t be here. I would have been kicked, stomped, shot, or knifed. Maybe all at once. When I looked at a car that I wanted to buy, I saw all the things that I’d have to do and kept my mouth shut unless a fender was falling off. All those things wrong were why I was buying the car in the first place. The excitement of seeing those things and knowing that I could fix them was enough for me. If the fame was bent, I’d talk to the owner and find out how it had happened and explain to him or her what I’d have to do to straighten it. They were usually amazed at how much work I was willing to do to get their car back on the road and sold it to me accordingly.

I was taught to keep my mouth shut unless I had something good to say. I consider constructive criticism as something good to say. I consider bad-mouthing someone or something that someone else owns to be the height of direspect. Anyone who does such a thing drops pretty low in my estimation.

That said, fire away,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #38
mike657894

Selling online is about looks. I would remove all unnecessary accessory that it didn't come with from factory. lights, dual carbs, marvel jug, mirrors, and exposed wiring. Hide it away or remove it you can give them a box full of it if they want it. I would sell it all on ebay and return $500. Take down the picture with the head off. People dont want to buy cars that were worked on by the owner. No matter your skills they dont want to see it or hear about it. Let them figure out on their own a model a is a labour of love or wallet. All these cars have had work done you dont see it in the adds. Also craigslist is a collection of scams low ballers who wont value rarity and experts who watch the flow of cars and saw yours for cheaper last month. You dont need to change your price the right buyer may come along. But you may have cost yourself money by listing for cheaper before. Most of all open wiring in cab on a car that is so simple is unacceptable if you want the most for it.

Also your add is confusing about if the car is assembled currently or not by the photos. And the text should be changed to reflect mileage, how long you have owned it, if it runs drives stops, and when the paint/interior/engine/trans/brakes/tires were done. You could get an appraisal and that might help a person that wants a Model A that will appreciate but knows nothing about what really will as far as rarity and has the money to spend.

Last edited by mike657894; 04-09-2018 at 11:31 AM.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #39

I have noticed the whole Early Ford market has declined and the rate of decline has increased. It started a few years ago.
The population is aging their interests are changing.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #40
Scottio57

I’ve been thinking of selling my Sport coupe and have the same concerns. I know it isn’t how much I have invested but rather what the market will bear. I just wish the market will bear a little more. I have seen other cars out there that are not quite up to the level of mine but are asking more. I put mine up and all I get are scam calls or a third party wanting to sell it for me. It is very discouraging. I don’t have the answer but I can relate. I may just put it in the back yard with a cover over it and someday it will be my kids problem. 😁
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote