Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Rustynutz52

Default I give up my 39 let me down again!!

Alright, i have been having a strange random starting issue where my car will start 20 to 30 to times and then I will go to crank it and get a click I assume is the solenoid. I tried jumping around it and found starter would not spin. After cleaning and checking all grounds contacts etc no change. When i pull starter and reinstall the car would typically start. I assumed i was rotating the armature as i removed it just enough to get out of shorted spot. Replace armature in the starter with nos one and car started right up. It ran perfect all weekend. Go to start it tonight and get the dreaded click. What gives. Can solenoids be weird? I eliminated it as i could not get starter to spin when jumping around it.
Rustynutz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: I give up my 39 let me down again!!

Rustynutz52>>>After cleaning and checking all grounds contacts etc no change.>>>

Well, clean them again. And add another ground or two while you're at it. Maybe one between the block & body if there isn't one already. Another between a starter bolt & the block. Electrical weirdness is often due to ground issues esp at higher amps.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Zeke...PA

I would first check with a voltmeter to see if your getting correct battery voltage out of solenoid, if OK then check at starter for the correct battery voltage. If voltage OK at starter then the starter is probably the culprit. You may be losing voltage somewhere in between or at battery connections. Zeke
Old 09-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Rustynutz52

I keep thinking the only common thread is that each time this happens i either loosen the starter and pull it or i wiggle it and then the car seems to start up. I at first assumed ground issues. The only thing i have not changed is the ground strap "original" from body to cylinder head. Can these things fail? It does look crusty but intact. I have cleaned up all contact to bell housing points on starter. Its somehow starter / ground related just not sure what. Do field coils cause intermitant problems?
Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Russ/40

A crusty looking connection is a bad connection. You don't have any paint between starter and its mount do you?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
koates

Rusty, field coils soldered connection on the inside of the main starter terminal post could be broken or twisted around because the post has rotated when undoing or tightening the outer nut . Have to dismantle starter to check for this common problem. New terminal posts and insulators are available. You need a LARGE soldering iron or small gas torch to resolder the terminal. Regards , Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
hotcoupe

my `37 1/2 ton drove me nuts with the intermittent starting problem. turned out to be a brand new re-pop battery ground cable. i put the test leads on the battery lug and not the cable, thinking that the cable couldn`t be the problem - it was brand new!
tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Rustynutz52

Alright just cleaned up all ground points on body to cylinder head and changed out braided strap to new one. Same result nothing but solenoid trying to engage starter. Don't have voltmeter. Gonna get one tomorrow. Tried taking jumper cable from battery side of solenoid to starter post nothing but spark. Ground issue? I give up!!! Not really the challenge has begun
Old 09-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Brendan

starter hanging up? put in 3rd gear and rock back and forth

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
Rustynutz52

Brenden, you win!!! Put it in 3rd rocked it forward and pop it came un-engaged. Now i wonder if this has been problem all along. I replaced bendix gear with clean used one when rebuilding the starter. Now i wonder if the spring is weak or if i have a ring gear issue?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Brendan

I am not sure, I had the same trouble with my 36 with the old motor, I would have to do that about once a month. at least its not electrical

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
big job

sounds like you got a dead spot. I just went through this, then wack with hammer it
starts. Next time it does not. Common know one thinks of is dirty end plate and housing.
This holds brushes and must have a good ground to the case. Or you have an open
commutator segment, or the cable stud has a cold solder joint. I trust all cables are clean,
so to me its internal. So you just have to track these weak internal conections.
Wondering did you jump directly to the starter by passing the solonoid (that could be), make sure the solonoid is got a good ground....
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
RKS.PA

Rusty, I wouldn't rule out the ring gear. I went through the same exercise as you....new starter, ground straps, solenoid. Sometimes it worked fine and other times it was under the car with the 7/16 to loosen the starter. The new ring gear fixed it forever!!!....I was pulling the engine out for a rebuild anyway, so putting it in was just part of the restoration.....otherwise, not so fun!!

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
ford38v8

Rusty, your "clean used" bendix is likely the problem, and may have damaged the rig gear also. Replace the bendix, and be sure you have the small strap brace from the front of the starter to the oil pan. This is required to counter the torque applied during use.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
donQ

I think dick is right. The starter is probably jamming against the flywheel. When you pull the starter, feel the backside of the ring gear teeth. They can look good from the front but badly worn where the bendix drive engages the ring gear
donQ
donQ is offline   Reply With Quote