Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
telmore1964

Default Steering worm gear install

Hello, does anyone have a good suggestion on how to install the steering worm gear back on it's shaft for a 1930 Ford. I was able to remove the old using my 30 ton press after I installed some cribbing under it to raise it about another 12" higher. This allowed the entire shaft to fit in place followed by a spacer under the hydraulic ram. I was then able to press the old one off. The problem is the press is not bolted down on my garage floor and when I go to press it on the whole press lifts up using the floor to hold the down the end of the shaft.

Thanks
-Tom
telmore1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
midgetracer

Default Re: Steering worm gear install

Tap the inside of the tube with a 5/8 inch fine thread tap. No need to drill the shaft as a 5/8 inch tap will work with no further sizing. Then use a 5/8 fine thread grade 8 bolt and a stack of washers, and with the tube securely clamped in a vise, use an impact wrench to force the worm unto the shaft. Of course, you must align the worm splines with the grooves on the shaft. I have done many this way and it avoids bending the shaft. To remove the worm without damage to the shaft, I use a bearing puller and put the device in the press and push the shaft off with a properly sized bolt on the end of the shaft with the worm attached. Good Luck
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #3
1930 coupe

I place a piece of aluminum about 1/2 inch thick and about one foot square on a concrete floor.
I start the gear on the shaft with a brass hammer, I then hold the shaft a few inches above the gear and start slamming the gear into the aluminum as hard as I can, usually takes 20 or 30 hits. The gears are heat treated and very hard, the aluminum is very soft. It will not leave any marks on the gear, unless you miss and hit the concrete. This sounds very crude and crazy, but I have done several gears this way and it actually works very good.
1930 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
jw hash

I have a big heavy nut that slides down on the shaft about 1" up from where the worm ends up and put a couple tack weld on the upper side. press the worm on the shaft grind the tack welds off. and you are good to go.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:09 PM   #5
daren007

Take it to a machine shop, Then when everything goes wrong they have to fix it. That's what I did and everything did go wrong.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:28 PM   #6
Mad Mac

Be careful when hitting the worm with a hammer (even a soft hammer) while holding the shaft in a vice or it may chip a piece off the worm (don't ask me how I know!). A better idea is to weld a cross-member low down across your hydraulic press and push down against that, with the shaft inside a piece of one inch diameter steel pipe, to stop it bending. Position the worm the right way up, with the cir-clip in the groove on the shaft. If you're an amateur like me, best to give it to an expert.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:04 AM   #7
telmore1964

This is exactly what I did and it worked.

Thanks again for the suggestion

-Tom
telmore1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
I place a piece of aluminum about 1/2 inch thick and about one foot square on a concrete floor.
I start the gear on the shaft with a brass hammer, I then hold the shaft a few inches above the gear and start slamming the gear into the aluminum as hard as I can, usually takes 20 or 30 hits. The gears are heat treated and very hard, the aluminum is very soft. It will not leave any marks on the gear, unless you miss and hit the concrete. This sounds very crude and crazy, but I have done several gears this way and it actually works very good.
I used this method, but not having 1/2" thick aluminum I used what I had, 1/8" thick aluminum. Worked fine except for the fact that the aluminum took a good beating and bent up a bit, which didn't bother me as I have quite a bit of 1/8" aluminum.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
Fhane

I have a press and fixtures for installing the worm on the shaft. If you are near Stuart, Florida I would be glad to do it for you.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
Afordman31

Look at my post on 2/21/2018. It shows pictures of James Rogers fixture and a explanation to install the worm. This picture is my fixture copying James idea. Works like a dream.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0970.jpg (65.8 KB, 88 views)
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote